Van Winkle vs. Elmer T. Lee

BourbonJoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

At our weekly blind bourbon tasting today, an overwhelming majority preferred ETL to PVWFR 12 Lot B. When the bourbon order was revealed, we were all somewhat perplexed. That ETL sure was good, both on the nose and tasted both neat and cut. You just never know. confused.gif

Joe usflag.gif

I have a bottle of ETL and it is certainly among the very best I have ever tasted. In the top 10 easily, probably top 5.

Tim

I've never had Pappy, but the bottle of ETL I'm working on right now is far better than the ORVW I had last month. Sweeter, smoother, more complex, at least to me.

Elmer T. Lee! Elmer T. Lee! Elmer T. Lee! Elmer T. Lee!

bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Elmer T. Lee! Elmer T. Lee! Elmer T. Lee! Elmer T. Lee!

ETL has become my favorite single barrel bourbon. Given their nature, one can expect some variation in taste and quality of single barrels... but ETL has never disappointed me yet.

Wonder what'd come out on top in an ETL against ORVW 10yr 107 or ORVW 15 yr squat bottle? hmmmmm...think I'll do that taste off myself, got the goods in my stash! Tom V

Well I took the challenge and did the direct comparison last night. My wife poured me some of each in identical Reidel glasses. Then my 8 year old daughter carried them over and set them in front of me. I tasted each and concluded the one on my left was Elmer T. Lee. My daughter said I was wrong, my wife said I was right. Apparently in the transfer process they lost track of which was which.

Conclusion: they are both extremely good.

Craig

I would suggest next time using a wax pencil to mark the glasses "A" and "B". Or is you're a woodworker make a tray that has cutouts for the glasses.

ETL is certainly a top shelf product......but the bourbon is a little too sweet to my tastes. When Mr. Lee stopped in Houston last year on a promotional tour, I asked him about his selction process. He flat out said he preferred his bourbon sweet and picked out the sweetest barrels he could find to establish ETL's profile. When I said I found it a little too sweet for me, he responded something like..."That's why we make BT, AAA, RHF, etc etc so there's something for everyones taste." BTW, I don't like candy or eat many sweets in general.....just my funny taste buds.

Randy

I agree with you Randy. ETL is very smooth (sweet too) but like some here say of 4 Roses, it is maybe a little too mellow. I like the full, deep flavor with some cut to it like Kentucky Spirit. I certainly see what people like about it.

Ken

Well I took the challenge and did the direct comparison last night. My wife poured me some of each in identical Reidel glasses. Then my 8 year old daughter carried them over and set them in front of me. I tasted each and concluded the one on my left was Elmer T. Lee. My daughter said I was wrong, my wife said I was right. Apparently in the transfer process they lost track of which was which.

Conclusion: they are both extremely good.

Craig

I'd remand a recount! yum.gif

Interesting thread, particularly since we have both horses in this race. Anyone who knows wheated bourbons is familiar with Julian's outstanding whiskies. IMHO, Elmer T. Lee is one of the greatest unknown bourbons outside the Straightbourbon circles. Here in Kentucky it can be purchased for around $25, which is awesome for a 10 - 14 year old single barrel.

I have to admit that Elmer has developed somewhat of a sweet-tooth as he has, uh, ah, .... matured! The big difference between Eagle Rare 10 year old Single Barrel and ETL is the level of sweetness.

It is interesting to note that wheated bourbons have a tendency to be a bit sweeter than rye recipe bourbons, yet the ETL seems to have bucked the trend.

Ken

Nope. Its Old Rip Van Winkle for me. I love both Pappy Van Winkle Family reserve and Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year 107.

I need something with a little heat, yet sweet and complex.

ETL is sweet and complex, but no heat. duel.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.