Danfield's Private Reserve

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A yellow gold-coloured whiskey, with a full Canadian nose (butterscotch, oak, spice). The leaflet states "Aged 10 Years".

The flavour is rich and clean, this is an expertly blended whisky with a soft mouth feel but a robust finish. There is clearly some low proof rye and perhaps corn (bourbon) whisky in here, married to a high proof yet well-aged, tasty base. There is something in the taste and nose that reminds me of American straight rye (that "damask" effect) but moderated of course since this is Canadian whisky.

This is very good, it reminds me of Crown Royal I've had from the 1950's. This is as good as Canadian whisky can be yet still fall within its traditional precincts of mildness, butterscotch, light spice.

An excellent neat sipper, much better than many Canadians I know (somewhat like Crown Royal Limited Edition in style for those who know that brand but richer, sweeter).

An excellent effort from Constellation Brands, well-done (especially considering the value, in American money it barely reaches $20).

Gary

N.B. Bumph on the accompanying leaflet: "We make our whisky in batches of less than 100 barrels using a small batch, hand-crafted process to absolutely ensure the premium quality of our product... Danfield's Private Reserve Canadian Whisky is only kept in Warehouse Number Two - nestled between our other warehouses to protect it from Canadian winter winds".

Danfield's Private Reserve Canadian Whisky is only kept in Warehouse Number Two - nestled between our other warehouses to protect it from Canadian winter winds".

And now you can use Danfield's Private Reserve Canadian Whisky to protect YOU from cold Canadian winter winds lol.gif

Sounds great, Gary. Hopefully someday I'll find some. Would you rate it better than Forty Creek Barrel Select??

Ken

As good, I'd say. What I like about Danfield's is it has a traditional Canadian palate - just more of it, more flavour. Many Canadian whiskies used to be more asertive in taste, e.g., 1950's Crown Royal, or the late lamented Captain's Table by McGuinness (later absorbed into Corby/Hiram Walker/Allied Domecq). They must be using some new charred barrels in the Danfield's, too, the flavor is quite evident especially in the glass after the dram. It has an excellent soft rich palate, much like what I try to create in my blends but more cognac-like. A steal at $24.00 Canadian.

Yes Whisky Rocks has some legs here (Dave, am I mixing metaphors? smile.gif). I don't know if the paucity of attention to bourbon may reflect the relatively small bourbon selection available here (as compared say to single malt or Canadian whisky). Bourbon has a small but steady sale here, though, and its growth will continue regardless of the Whisky Rocks focus. And some attention is being given the whisky category as a whole, which is good.

Can anyone imagine a promotion like this in the Toronto of 30 or even 20 years ago? That was the time of Toronto The Good, a staunch Presbyterian-influenced city which rolled up the sidewalks on Sunday. Now we have a rock bus travelling through Ontario promoting whisky. Amazing.

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.