BOTM, 11/05: Russell's Reserve 101

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It was suggested to me by an esteemed member of our community that perhaps we should pay homage to a recently departed friend. I think it's the least we can do for a bourbon that has given so much to us. Therefore, this month's BOTM is:

Russell's Reserve 101 proof

Feel free to share stories and fond memories of your time with RR101. Russell's Reserve touched our lives in so many ways; it will indeed be missed :cry:

:893drillsergeant-th Sound Off :893drillsergeant-th

Definately a favorite of mine. It displays many of the fine characteristics of it's more refined cousins, Kentucky Spirit and Tribute. It has a depth beyond the mainstream 101 which shows up in a more robust palate as well as a much longer finish. While all Wild Turkey products have a wonderful bite to them, Russel's Reserve keeps that at a enjoyable, not overpowering level.

The new 90 proof is delicious as well but is lighter and more fruit/floral notes rather than the oakyness of the 101.

It is a pity it is rapidly disappearing. Your are right Jeff, it will be missed.

Ken

I agree, Ken. When I posted my thoughts about RR101 a few years back, I said that I thought Rare Breed had a lot in common with WT101 while RR101 had a lot in common with KS. And I can still distinctly remember the tastes involved.

Alas, no RR101 has been seen in these parts for quite some time, now. KS either, for that matter. Alabama ABC seems to carry all the $100 scotch you can think of, but they have almost completely eliminated the premium bourbons. mad.gif

Tim

Prompted by this BOTM selection, Tina & I enjoyed a pour of RR 101 yesterday evening. I didn't tell Tina what it was before she tasted. Her blind response was "Wow, you must have poured one of the really good ones." It had a nutty/candy nose, an oaky/caramel mouth and those distinctive WT (earthy?) undertones. DELICIOUS!

The RB society sent out an email coupon for a $5 rebate on RR 90. If you're one of those generally averse to buying the 90, would $5 off prompt you to buy it? I suppose it does cover that extra water.

Yeah, I'm torn between letting my stash go to those who truly love it and hoarding it for myself. Maybe a combination of both. I love the package and the whiskey much better than the 90. More heat, more spice, more punch.

My favorite memory of the RR101? Having dinner at Blue Smoke with Jimmy Russell after our Tribute bottle signing party and hearing someone tell tall tales of Jimmy's previous visits to NYC. Jimmy didn't mumble a word. blush.gif

Since I have moved several hundred miles away from my friend that I did most of my tasting with, we have been relegated to discussing our preferences over the phone. Last summer one night I called him to tell him how wonderful I thought the RR101 was. It had just struck me as a perfect pour that night. He was surprised and asked if it were something new. I told him it was not, that I had actually poured it for him several years before but he had seemed unimpressed. Well apparently my enthusiasm wore off on him because a mere week later he was on the phone telling me how sorry he was to have missed out on such a fine bourbon for so long. Just his luck that it was being phased out so soon after his discovery. I hope he laid in stash while he had the chance. Now I always think twice before drinking it, savoring every drop for the day when there won't be anymore. toast.gif

Well, this was a suggestion in my very first thread here, in which I asked for recommendations. I picked up a bottle this afternoon and am currently enjoying my first few sips. Initially, I'm very impressed. The nose is very nice and not overpowering of alcohol. Nice and smooth enough, which is not what I was expecting from the proof. I'm enjoying it very much thus far.

I'm new to bourbon, so I really can't expand anymore as I believe I've maxed out my cliche quota in this post. smile.gif

By reading the posts, it seems this bourbon has been discontinued. I bought this bottle down the street for $26. Is it something that'd be worth getting that other bottle I left sitting there? I'd hate to learn later on that it was something I should have bought, if not just for the sake of all those people looking for a bottle and not able to get one.

...it seems this bourbon has been discontinued. I bought this bottle down the street for $26. Is it something that'd be worth getting that other bottle I left sitting there? I'd hate to learn later on that it was something I should have bought...

You seem to be enjoying it -- thus, I think you've answered your own question.

toast.gif

Is it something that'd be worth getting that other bottle I left sitting there?

By all means! It's not too expensive, and you can always set a bottle or two aside for a special occasion. Once they're gone, they're gone.

I'm saving one such bottle at the moment, otherwise I'd be pouring from it.

RR 101 was a surprise to me. I have always enjoyed the Wild Turkey's I could get my hands on but did not notice the RR until last year. I bought at around Thanks giving and I used it as part of the Injection/marinade for my turkey. One thing I love about this bourboun is the perfect sweetness, woodyness and all around greatness of it. I am hoping that the 90 doe spay some Homage to what it used to be.

My dad doesn't generally like the pours of bourbon that I give him whe he visits, he would much rather drink vodka, but on Turkey day I forced him into a pour of the RR and he actually asked for some more...needless to say the bottle was done by the end of the day! The turkey wasn't the only one drunk that Thanksgiving toast.gif

While not my favorite, I find myself very much in the mood for the WT RR 101 from time to time and enjoy it very much when I am in the mood for it. It is also still very available here in Albuquerque (at least for the time being anyway.) One store I went to today still had at least 10 bottles of the 101. I guess I should buy a couple to stash.

I bought a bottle of this earlier in the week for the first time. Now, I'm not a bourbon expert but I also don't consider myself a newbie either. I've had a few other 101-proof items before, including the WT Rye 101.

Anyhoo, I poured a small dram as I cooked dinner on the grill after work. I took my first taste and I felt like steam was coming out of my ears. It was probably the most intense alcohol burn that I've ever experienced! I was yellin' and hollerin' for all the neighboorhood to hear.

I know that our perception of a drink can change from day to day, hour to hour. . .but this was unique. I might have guessed that I was drinking something MUCH stronger than 101 proof if I din't know it was RR.

I'll be having another tonight. . .hopefully it will be a less painful experience 70358-devil.gif

That's interesting, I've found this bourbon to be pretty smooth. I'm sure there's a lot to be said for the place, time, and mood. I was sitting down with a snifter and only took my first sip after a good nosing and preperation.

I had a couple of pours at a hotel bar in Denver a few weeks back. They also had Rare Breed. I liked the RR 101 a lot, although I am not a huge WT drinker. But I did go out and get a new bottle of the 90. Forgive me of heresy, but this is by memory, I sort of liked the 90 ever so slightly better. Now before anyone accuses me of not liking higher proofs or seeing their merits, I love OGD 114, GTS 138, and the Van Winkle 107's. To me though, both WT's had licorice overtones I'm not to terribly fond of; fortunately it was a very slight hint. Now to be fair, I will pick up a bottle of the 101 (there are a few liquor stores around here with it still on the shelf)to do a side by side. My memory ain't what it used to be, if I remember correctly.

Prominent cinnamon/Red Hots nose, with a touch of underlying anise. A similar palate entry, drying to a charry finish tinged with orange peel, medium in length.

I like this one well enough, but it begins better than it ends. It's well-suited for a brisk winter evening when your breath is the first thing you see when you step outdoors.

I've already put back a few bottles, and will a few more. But after sales tax here it was often past $30 even before replacement, which is pretty close to its break-even point cost/value-wise.

Noticed i had three dead bottles. Lucky me i found supply . it is a must keep to have on hand to compare with others. as to others saying to much punch power, it will make the dead dance.

I'm relatively new to this, and have more bottles of different pours than I can consume for a while, and this is the one bourbon I've bunkered. Of course, not much has been pulled from the market in the last couple of years, but I've let ER 10 yr. and some annual releases go without worry. In fact, since there's still a good supply of RR 101 around here, I've picked up a few for gifts. I have seen the 90 start to show up, but I will probably not buy it (or maybe any WT product), as a protest to the watering down.

One thing I've noticed about RR is that I can enjoy it the way I want to; it seems everything is there. If I want to experience the buttery aspects, there they are; if I want spicy, that's nicely covered too.

Bob

I have seen the 90 start to show up, but I will probably not buy it (or maybe any WT product), as a protest to the watering down.

Bob, I understand this sentiment. Beware, the 90 is quite good. Protest if you must. I feel like I want to also but I just see myself as the loser in that battle. Of course you can always switch to KS for the 101 and enjoy RR90 the rest of the time.

Ken

Bob, I understand this sentiment. Beware, the 90 is quite good. Protest if you must. I feel like I want to also but I just see myself as the loser in that battle. Of course you can always switch to KS for the 101 and enjoy RR90 the rest of the time.

Ken

Good advice, Ken. As I stated in my earlier post, I may like the 90 ever so slightly more. Whatever the reasons, and many here believe it to be greed, WT made a marketing decision. Although I am not the biggest WT fan, I drink as much as I can.... (wait, that didn't come out right)I EXPLORE as many different bourbons to expand my palate. So, I doubt politics would keep me away. As Ken said, more or less, don't cut off your nose to spite your face. But that doesn't make your love for WTRR 101 any less.

I asked Jimmy Russell about this at NYC Whiskey Fest and he did confirm it was a marketing decision. I agree the 90 is good stuff so I guess it's not the worst thing that could have happened.

I go round and round with the Wild Turkey line. I love them all, but one day WT RB is my favorite and another day it is Wt RR 101. Still another day and the WT 101 8 year old has recaptured my allegiance. And I can't forget the 12 year old. Some days it burns and tastes harsh (at home, never at the bar for some reason) other days and it is ambrosia. The other day I had a pour of WT 12 year old from a porcelain decanter. Mmm!

Of my collection at home I think that the WT RR 101 is ahead by a nose. They are all so good though. bowdown.gif WT!

Ed

Went to the bunker tonight and pulled out a RR101...one of many that are in the bunker. And...it didn't disappoint me. One of my favorite bourbons. I wonder what Jimmy will drink now when he is out on the town. RR101 seemed to be his choice at the bar after Whiskey Fest in Chicago.

Jeff, thanks for the BOTM thread. I'm enjoying everyone's comments and revisting some bourbons that I've not tried in a while.

Jon

FYI - For anyone who lives near Louisville, KY - Evergreen Liquors had about 5 on the shelf as of an hour ago. I bought one that I plan to keep unopened. I didn't have the cash to buy up all of the stock.

Jimmy

Its been a while since I had a bottle of RR101 but I seem to remember not being bowled over. Rare Breed is one of my all time favorites, I think it has a more substantial, full bodied flavor with a more satisfing finish.

After hearing from all the fans here I will have to look and see if there is any left up here in the frozen north, gotta have something to keep the moral up here through the winter!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!