Found a Henry Clay - do I go back and buy it?

Vange
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was filling a prescription at a pharmacy yesterday and walked into a nearby liquor store. They had a bourbon I am not familiar with. A Henry Clay bourbon. Red wax top and red seal on the bottle for $100. Good buy? Worth adding to my bar?

I did a search and found some posts about it, but no posts as to what a good deal is for it and if it's worth having.

I bid one up to over 300 and still didn't get it on Ebay, I'll let you draw your own conclusion, truthfully I didn't need it and part of it was the heat of the moment bidding. Not sure what I'd do if faced with it again. You could get the hundred back fast, and that would be a small entry fee for it.

No kidding! I will pick it up after work today. Can you imagine if it's gone now? Wow, I would be PISSED!

Henry Clay and Joseph Finch were limited release bourbons by UD.....I think back in the late '80's. They were $80 to $100 when released (here in Texas anyway).....a very hard sell. I occasionally stil see it here. The whiskeys are unremarkable in my opinion. Todays $40 top shelfs are much better bourbons. But as a collectible.... I agree with Bobby.....you'll more than get your money back if you're up for that game.

Randy

Because they were so limited, yet people know about them, the Clay and Finch are probably among the few "sure things" in bourbon collecting, in that if you can pick up either at retail for $100 or less, you can almost surely turn it around for a profit on eBay.

Well, I rescued the bottle of Henry Clay from this dirty liquor store. The guy at the register literlly dusted off the bottle and the box as I smiled and paid the $106 with tax. There was an empty finch box there as well, but someone beat me to the bottle.

I might keep the HC, it looks nice with the red wax seal on th bottle.

• 1 month later...

Was traveling in west Tennessee this week with some time to kill and went into a small store in Jackson. Excellent bourbon selection. On the top shelf sat 1 Henry Clay and 1 Jos. Finch. The owner said he bought the store about 2 years ago and those 2 bottles were in the inventory.Priced at 80.00 but he said he would knock off 5% if I took both . I did.

They will probably go with me to Bardstown in April or September for trading.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.