1792 Ridgemont Reserve; price?

GlennB
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last month when I was in Kentucky I purchased a bottle of 1792 (8 yrs old, 94 proof). I have misplaced my store receipt and don't remember what I paid for it. Do any of you know the retail price?

I ask because I also purchased bottles of Van Winkle 20 yr ($100), Elijah Craig 18 yr($40), Jefferson Reserve($56), and Four Roses SB($32). I'm courious as to where the 1792 fits in pricewise.

While I am at it, of those 5 Bourbons how would you rank them? That is, which would you say is #1, which is #2, etc.?

Thanks,

Glenn

Well Glenn, since you asked, here's my ranking:

1. Van Winkle 20

2. Four Roses SB

3. Jefferson Reserve (15 year, not the "very old")

4. Elijah Craig 18

5. 1792

Joe usflag.gif

I would agree with Joe's ranking, with the additional point of dropping the Jefferson's Reserve to #5 if it's the 'very old' version.

Fifteen feet from me (I'm working my part-time liquor-store job tonight) is Ridgemont Reserve 1792 for $27.56, and we're high. You can find it in bigger stores who buy in greater quantity around $25.

Well, since I can't get 1,2,3 or 4 in Ohio I guess that makes 1792 #1 here....

I'll stick with Kentucky Spirit.

Ken

It goes for around $25 in my neck of the woods. But on a much longer list I would still put it at the very bottom. I thought it was among the worst bourbons I've ever tried.

Craig

It goes for around $25 in my neck of the woods. But on a much longer list I would still put it at the very bottom. I thought it was among the worst bourbons I've ever tried.

Craig

Well, now I'm going to have to go out and buy another bottle. It's been a while but I don't remember it being THAT bad. In fact I kinda thought it had quite a bit to recommend it..... Guess my memory just isn't what it used to ..... um, what I WANT it to be.... grin.gif

Ken

You can pick it up in Lexington for about $23 and I'll buck the trend and say that I like it a lot yum.gif

Acknowledging that they are all fine bourbons, I would rank them as follows:

Pappy 20

EC18

Four Roses SB

Jefferson's Reserve

I think I paid $26. Ranking it on your list with very limited experience, I'd say it's higher than the EC18, which I just didn't care for ($35?), but would expect it to be easily outclassed by the VW 20, based on my experience with ORVW 10 and 15 ($28 and $36, IIRC).

I like the 1792, and think that my best description was simply "pleasant"; sometimes simply so, other times with more depth revealing itself.

Bob

1792 is about $30 here in Seattle.

With this bourbon, I always get a very distinct nose of candy corn -- those little orange/white/yellow waxy triangles that always materialize in Grandma's candy dish around halloween & thanksgiving. Not exactly unpleasant, but odd.

Craig

Well, I went out and found a new bottle of 1792 and settled in for the evening. Nice aroma, sweet and mellow. Some carmel and some cotton candy. First sip is smooth and full but has enough sting to make sure you know it's Bourbon. Successive sips only enhanced the initial impressions. This is good Bourbon. Very good. Not the best of the best of the best, Sir! With Honors! But very good!

My initial impression stands.

Ken

Maybe I'll give it another try - but it's not a high priority. I buried most of it in ginger ale. Don't know what it was about it, but I found it almost unpleasant.

Craig

Happy birthday.....birthday boy. I agree.......RR 1792 is a pretty decent bourbon, but not in my top 10. But......on our recent tour of Barton during the fest, we were taken to the RR rickhouse.....was it warehouse "Z"? Anyway, we got to try a barrel sample from the warehouse. It was outstanding. Our "guide" for the day asked if we wanted to take some back to the Gazebo for later. Hell yeah. I had driven my car back to the warehouse....so I immediately emptied a liter bottle of water I had. Our partner in crime quickly thieved us a liter of barrel proof single barrel of the RR 1792. This stuff was outstanding.....even if it was in a water bottle.

That night both current and former master distillers recognized it as their product.......but not sold like that. We were quiet as to how we got it.

Makes you wish they would issue some SB of the RR 1792.

Randy

Happy Birthday Ken. toast.gif I like 1792 well enough to always have a bottle on hand. It might not be the finest bourbon on the planet but it sure isn't the worst. Anybody wants to get rid of theirs, I'll give you my mailing address.

Joe usflag.gif

Happy Birthday Ken. toast.gifusflag.gif

Thanks guys! Had a pretty quiet day. Spent the morning cleaning a coffee roaster. Went out for Lobster Bisque and Lasgana. Delicious. Then put in for the evening with a glass of Tribute. Great day!

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

Bought my first bottle of 1792 a couple days ago. Paid $30 at the ABC store.

A nice whisky, but kinda simple for a premium price. As a Barton brand, it actually reminds me of VOB 8yr. 86 proof....back when they made it. I'll stick to Maker's in that price range.

I bought a bottle for around $25.00, and I did not like it that much.It wasn't bad, but there are others for that kind of money I would much prefer. In September, I was in Louisville and picked up a bottle of Very Old Barton 90 proof. I like it a lot better, and I believe it was around $11.00.

• 2 weeks later...

It is around $25 a bottle in AR. As someone said above a pleasant whiskey. I am on bottle 3 now. I give it to folks who aren't big Bourbon drinkers. It is pretty mellow and doesn't yell at ya.

I think 1792 is good but outclassed by all the others in your list.

Pappy 20 is definitly #1

#2 Jefferson 15, I really like the 8YO as well despite alot of people not liking Jeffersons.

#3 4 roses SB

#4 EC 18 like it alot and it really is a toss up to #3.

#5 1792 good Bourbon, but up against some stron competitors.

How did you rate them??

• 2 months later...

Craig

agreed. with the positive experiences of others, I'm wondering if we had a bad batch?

I had mine at an upscale steakhouse in DC this summer & was shocked by how bad it was

Could be. I wanted to like it. I was excited to find a bottle of something new. But I complained with every glass, and buried most of it in ginger ale if I remember correctly. I'd try it again, but there are too many other good ones in line ahead of it.

Craig

I had a bottle of it pretty soon after they changed the name from Ridgewood Reserve. It cost me $31. It was not bad, but not good either. As I recall, mine was bland and tasteless. I wouldn't buy it again.

Tim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.