Thoughts from a rookie

bourbonchef1189
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

When I first discovered this site I thought I knew so much about bourbon. I was so wrong! I try to read most posts and can't tell you the wealth of information from reading your posts. I have discovered so many wonderful bourbons and ryes. I never knew about. Since logging on this site I have tasted Old weller 107, Russells resrve, Bulleit, Evan Williams single Barrel and Old grand dad 114. Thanks so much for opening my eyes.

I went to the local mega package store and found two more. The first is Old Overholt rye which was kind of week I didn't like it to much. and I got a bottle of Conecuh Ridge I have not opened it and don't think my tasting notes could do much justice to any bourbon. but would love to hear any thoughts on it. Is it even a bourbon?

Thanks

I know what you're saying David. I'm in the same boat. Bourbon has always been my go to pour but man, the things I didn't know. Seems like I learn something here every day. Like you, my horizons have been expanded, now incorporating things not available in Ohio like Buffalo Trace and Elmer T Lee, the Van Winkles, Stagg and even Old Potrero (oh yeah, and thanks to GaryG, Forty Creek! laugh.gificon_pidu.gif)

It's amazing the things you don't know you don't know shocked.gif

The journey continues.

Ken

Although the Old Overholt will never be more than 80 proof, it may get a little crisper after the bottle's been around a while. Don't know why, but a couple of people have noted it. That earthy flavor will be there in some regard, though.

A rye you should be able to get is Wild Turkey, if you're looking for a new experience in that direction. It has a wider range of folks here complimenting it.

Bob

Man can I echo the opening post. I have learned so much about whiskey appreciation here. My problem is living in Canada, it's hard to get much variety to try.

It does seem strange you can't get the Van Winkles in Ohio. That's one I can get here.

Ken,

Just as a quick FYI, you can get Buffalo Trace and Elmer T. Lee in Ohio. It is available and if your favorite store does not carry it, just ask them to special order it.

Ken

Ken,

Just as a quick FYI, you can get Buffalo Trace and Elmer T. Lee in Ohio. It is available and if your favorite store does not carry it, just ask them to special order it.

Ken

Thanks Ken, I'll check that out when the stock I came back with from KBF runs low!

icon_pidu.gif

Ken

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.