Newbie needs recommendations...

Brennan77
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hello, I'm new to the forums here and relatively new to the world of bourbon. I'm in search of a new bottle, which brought me here. But I certainly plan to stick around in what looks to be a nice little community yall got going here.

So anyway, I'm looking for a recommendation. So far, I've had a bottle of Woodford Reserve and a bottle of Knob Creek. I much prefer Knob Creek. There's something about the Woodford Reserve that just doesn't resonate with me. I can't put my finger on it, but it just doesn't do it for me. I like to drink my bourbon either with a couple of pieces of ice, or straight, depends on my mood. I've also had a glass of Blanton's on a couple of occasions, as well as Jefferson's Reserve, both of which I found very nice.

So what I'm looking for is something that will be a bit of a step up from the Knob Creek, but that won't be too much of a step up in price. I want a good bourbon, but not something I feel like I have to justify to the wife, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the recommendations, and thanks for having me in your forum.

Welcome aboard! Some great one's to try, in no particular order Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year, Elmer T lee, Evan Williams Single Barrel 1995, Ancient Ancient Age 10 STAR. Each one is less than $25.00, so you won't be out if one doesn't catch your fancy.

Try a bottle of Eagle Rare, 10 yr Old. Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel can stand up to Blanton's and is much less in price where I am. Keep trying these and your present Knob Creek,then do yourself a favor and revisit the Woodford.

Give it another chance. It may not turn out to be a favorite but it deserves a second look.

Good Luck with your search.

What you are asking for and what so many of us gave a blanket recommendation for is Russells Reserve at 101 proof. They lowered the proof, but not the price, if you run across a RR 101, It is a prize.

Welcome to the forum.

Chaz7,

I hope you mean AAA 10 year old, not 10 star.

The 10 Star is not even in the same class. (IMHO)

I'm not sure of the going price in New Orleans, but you might like to try Baker's.

I would also strongly recommend you give Old Grand Dad 114 a try.

Also:

Eagle Rare Single Barrel

Elmer T Lee Single Barrel

Wild Turkey Russel's Reserve

Weller 12yo

Van Winkle 10yo

Old Fitz 1849

That (along with the other's recommendations) should give you a good start. Let us know what you try and how it suits you. drink.gif

As I read your post, I also thought of Wild Turkey Russell Reserve at 101 proof. Don't worry about the fact that it is being bottled now at 90, if you like it, there are other WT premium bottles to try.

The Old Rip Van Winkle (or Pappy's) is also a good one to try; an excellant introduction to a wheater. If "rich" or "sweet" is something you like about KC, this might be a good one. If "tangy" or "spicy" is more something you've thought enjoyable, I'll second the OGD 114, which should be cheaper than KC. Not that those characteristics aren't in all of those bourbons, just a little emphasis in different pours.

At less than Blanton's, you might look for Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare; don;t really know what's in your area.

You might just cruise through some old threads on the board, to see if anything sparks your interest.

Bob

Thanks so much for the quick responses. I think I have plenty of recommendations to get me going now. I'm actually in San Francisco now, on account of the hurricane, so I'm not sure what the going rates are around here. I'm heading back to New orleans by year's end. There were some fairly good prices around there. $23 for Knob Creek. $43 for Blantons.

I wish I were a little more schooled in describing what I like, but that's why I'm hear, to learn a bit. I'll let you all know what I end up buying and tell you how I like it. I think I'll head out to the store in a little while. smile.gif

Thanks.

Mr. Ed-

No, interestingly enough I picked up a 10year in Ky recently, and over and over I tried them both and each time I was surprised by the outcome.I must say it wasn't a runaway win, on the contrary it was quite subtle. Of course, you know the old saying about opinions and this one is mine. But another reason is AAA 10STAR is widely available. I also forgot Old Grand Dad 114, another value. Sorry I forgot to quote you Ed on this reply. Regardless, it appears Newbie has his work cut out with some excellent suggestions from all!

Well, I ended up getting the Russell Reserve 101. $26 at the store down the road. Any particular recommendation on how to drink this one? Staight? Ice? Splash of water?

We all do it different, I am rocks guy. If it tastes good on the rocks, I like it, if it doesn't taste good on the rocks I don't.

There is no right or wrong.

try it straight first....you can always add ice or water to bring it out if you need to. The proof isn't too overpowering.

Reasonably priced and wonderful. Hope you can find them:

Elmer T. Lee

Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Old Grand Dad 114-proof

Elijah Craig 12-year old

Evan Williams single barrel

Tim

Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Its the most versatile bourbon out there IMO. Its rich, complex, high in proof, and only around 30 dollars.

Well, I'm coming to find that I'm going to need a bigger cabinet when I get back to New Orleans this January. There's so many bourbons I want to try. I'm anxious to find that perfect balance of cost and quality. To that end, I'm looking to pick up a bottle here and there when I get the craving.

Today, I added a bottle of Elijah Craig 12yo. I did eeny meeny miny mo between this one and Elmer T Lee. Both hovering around $20, I figured I really couldn't go wrong with either. My initial pour tells me that I'll probably come to like this one. A gentle nose compared to the RR101 to my senses. It's got less alcohol burn and in general seems lighter all around, almost flowery on that last sip.

All in all I think I'm set for a little while with a bottle of Russell's Reserve and Elijah Craig. Next up is likely to be Elmer T Lee. It seems to draw my curiosity.

Again, thanks for welcoming and getting me started with a couple of decently priced bourbons that don't skimp on quality. I'm going to have to study the Bourbon Trail threads now. My uncle, with whom I'm staying while yet still displaced from Hurricane Katrina, is going on a "business" trip out that way next month. They've scheduled to visit Heaven Hill, MAkers Mark, and one other that slips my mind at the moment. I need to come up with a wish list. smile.gif

I'm anxious to find that perfect balance of cost and quality.

For me, that bourbon is Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10 Year - amazing for about $20.

Next up is likely to be Elmer T Lee. It seems to draw my curiosity.

I think the Elmer T. Lee is a quality bourbon, well worth the price. It's not my favorite, but I'd never turn a glass down, and when I find it for $17, it may just be hard to pass up.

If your uncle has time, perhaps he can fit a trip in to the Buffalo Trace Distillery. BTD was just named Distillery of the Year by the Malt Advocate. Only one American distillery has ever won this prestigious award and this is our second win. Also, as an FYI, Sazerac 18 was named American Whiskey of the Year.

Ken

So what I'm looking for is something that will be a bit of a step up from the Knob Creek, but that won't be too much of a step up in price. I want a good bourbon, but not something I feel like I have to justify to the wife, if you know what I mean.

LOL! Get back down here on earth, will you? If you want a great bourbon be prepared to spend some greens! wink.gifwink.gif

Seriously, if you care about my two cents: get anything from the Buffalo Trace Distillerey, any of the Blanton's, Buffalo Trace, Elmer T Lee, van Winkle 10 Yrs... Also, the 8 year-old 101 proof Wild Turkey may not be a "step up", but you should try it and also the Wild Turkey Russel's Reserve 10 Yrs should send you to bed with a smile on your face... Same with Heaven Hill's Elijah Craig 12 Yrs. It's not more expensive, but if you find a bourbon of this quality and flavour for its price, please e-mail me, will you? wink.gif

BTW: premium bourbons are very reasonably priced, as opposed to premium Scotch and Irish which often reach ridiculous price-tags.

LOL! Get back down here on earth, will you? If you want a great bourbon be prepared to spend some greens! wink.gifwink.gif

Seriously, if you care about my two cents: get anything from the Buffalo Trace Distillerey, any of the Blanton's, Buffalo Trace, Elmer T Lee, van Winkle 10 Yrs... Also, the 8 year-old 101 proof Wild Turkey may not be a "step up", but you should try it and also the Wild Turkey Russel's Reserve 10 Yrs should send you to bed with a smile on your face... Same with Heaven Hill's Elijah Craig 12 Yrs. It's not more expensive, but if you find a bourbon of this quality and flavour for its price, please e-mail me, will you? wink.gif

BTW: premium bourbons are very reasonably priced, as opposed to premium Scotch and Irish which often reach ridiculous price-tags.

Thanks for the comments. I'll be better able to spend more money on bourbon when my wife is no longer the sole bread winner for the family. Moving back to New Orleans in January should remedy the situation. smile.gif

I did in fact pick up a bottle of Elijah Craig 12yo to sit along side the Russell's Reserve. I'm enjoying it very much so far.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.