Whisky Visits Davey Jones Locker

Sweetmeats
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

92 Tons? Wow! frown.gif

"CARDIFF, Wales (UPI) -- A freak shipping mishap off the Welsh coast has sent 92 tons of whisky into the sea from a container ship.

The Endeavour was in rough seas when a wave slapped it broadside and swept four 40-foot containers overboard Thursday night, The Western Mail reported Saturday.

Three of the containers each contained 22 tons of whisky while a fourth contained 26 tons of an unidentified liquor.

A Coast Guard official said there was no hope the accident would emulate the classic British film, 'Whisky Galore!' which documented the 1941 grounding of the S.S. Politician off the coast of Scotland. The 1949 film recounted of how locals made off with 24,000 cases of whisky before customs authorities reached the scene.

'We put out a message for vessels to look out for these containers,' said Bill Muldrew, watch manager at Milford Haven Coast Guard Station. 'But they`re all reported to have sunk -- and we`re very disappointed about that.'"

A Coast Guard official said there was no hope the accident would emulate the classic British film, 'Whisky Galore!' which documented the 1941 grounding of the S.S. Politician off the coast of Scotland. The 1949 film recounted of how locals made off with 24,000 cases of whisky before customs authorities reached the scene.

This, BTW, is a great film (also known in USA as "A Tight LIttle Island") from Ealing Studios. I think it's available on DVD. I have an old battered VHS that I watch about once a year.

And the novel of the same name by Compton Mackenzie is also wonderful. They are somewhat different in emphasis - each entirely enjoyable.

The movie was filmed on a remote island in Scotland's Outer Hebrides, where my mother-in-law's people were from.

I suggest that it be viewed with a glass of that other whisky in hand. If you don't start with one, you'll want it before the end of the first reel! Even if you are a dyed in the wool bourbonite. grin.gif

Jeff

The question is, would the cost of renting a submersible to recover the cargo cost more than the whisky is worth? Enquiring minds want to know. smile.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.