storing for premium taste

evjohn
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have noticed that when I open a bottle of fresh bourbon, the taste and aroma of the liquor are somewhat diminished within a week or two. I was wondering how one might store an opened bottle to maintain optimum freshness... banghead.gif

I have to say that I have not really noticed this, at least not just with opening a bottle...

I do know that leaving mostly-empty bottles sitting for extended periods can cause oxidation of the bourbon, in which case I would recommend decanting into a smaller, airtight container.

I suspect the reason you haven't gotten a reply before now is that few if any other people have had that experience. Unless you are leaving the bottles uncapped, it's hard to conceive a reason why the taste and aroma would change in a mere week or two. Whiskey is remarkably stable. It's possible you are unusually sensitive to oxidation, which is the only thing that really happens to whiskey in a partially-full bottle.

The solution to oxidation is to put the remainder into a smaller bottle. Another approach is to fill the bottle with marbles to bring the liquid up to the top. Just make sure you clean the marbles thoroughly first.

One other reason to consider is actually human fraility. As you grow familiar with an aroma, or taste for that matter, you become accustomed to it. So it may not seem to have the initial impact. But you may try adding a new bottle, don't touch the others for awhile then see if it is different when you return.

I was wondering how one might store an opened bottle to maintain optimum freshness... banghead.gif

Everybody knows the first pour off the bottle is the best. The rest should be considered swill and backwash. I would suggest only drinking the first pour, then sending the rest of the bottle to me and I will properly dispose of it.

I was wondering how one might store an opened bottle to maintain optimum freshness... banghead.gif

Drink it faster? smirk.gif

Regarding oxidation, I find that this sometimes makes a Bourbon taste "right" to me. For example, ND era Old Grand Dad doesn't taste right from a freshly opened bottle. These days, I open the bottle, wave it around, and then recap it and shake it up, to try to introduce fresh air (oxygen?) into the bottle. After a day or two, perhaps repeating the opening and airing process a few times, it starts to taste right, with the expected amount of flavors.

Of course, YMMV... my wife frequently tastes things in spirits that really offend her that I can't really taste, so there's certainly a latitude for how we perceive these complex organic mixtures.

I dunno how you'd slow down the oxidation process other than opening the bottle in an oxygen free environment and/or reducing its temperature significantly, to slow down the inevitable reactions with the fresh oxygen.

Cheers,

-monte-

If I could change the phrase "within a week or two" to "within a month or two" then I would say that this is a fairly frequent phenomenon, at least when it comes to the aroma.

Woodford reserve, Highland Park 12yo and almost any product from Bushmill´s seem to suffer from this syndrome. My 1000 ml tax-free bottle of Dickel No. 12, on the other hand, kept its delicious nose to the very end, though.

It is very rare, though, that I encounter the same symptoms regarding the taste. Unless, of course, the bottle is nearing its end.

yes, maybe within in about a month. what I have noticed with hard liquors in general (and especially bourbon)is that after opening,the drink ends up posessing more of an alcohol taste as opposed to the true taste of the spirit when the bottle is first opened. have you or anyone else noticed this???

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.