What if you could buy only one???

kbuzbee
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So there have been several discussions of favorites and long lists of these produced. A recent post turned that around and asked which high priced bourbons are not worth their asking price. I found that question interesting but most of the answers were to the affirmative eg - things that ARE worth their asking price.

But it brought up yet one more iteration.... If you could choose only one Bourbon (for a year, for 10 years, for life.....) Which would it be?? The Bourbon would cost what it does now but it would be available to you where you live in the quantity you require.

No restrictions other than you can only afford how much you can afford. You choose your criteria, flavor profile, cost, whatever. You may want: Lots of a cheaper pour. Less of a more expensive offering. Almost none of something very exotic. Lots of something exotic (and you're taking out a second mortgage lol.gif)

Now I realize this is not the bent of most people on this forum. Most of us enjoy a wide range of offerings and have pours for certain weather, certain moods, certain food etc. etc. But if you could only have one! (and no trading with folks who choose something else shocked.gif)

I choose Kentucky Spirit. Altough not cheap, I can pretty much afford the amount I wish to drink daily and it is very nearly the prefect Bourbon, to me. Well balanced, rich and sophisticated with a great kick, complex patale and killer finish. I'm good! yum.gif

Ken

Obviously I would choose Elmer T. Lee.

Side note: I've realized recently that what I truly like about Elmer is the heavier amount of rye in it. Now I've tried Wild Turkey 101 recently and it tastes similar. If I remember correctly, somebody said Wild Turkey has more rye than most? If that's the case, I may have to try Kentucky Spirit, or Rare Breed or Russel's Reserve. yum.gif

I don't know what bourbon I'd choose - I just enjoy too many of them to pick.

Non-Bourbon is easy - Old Rip Van Winkle 13yo Rye yum.gif

I'm going to have to second your nomination of Kentucky Spirit.

And, I wouldn't even get bored with it if I could also have one Scotch and one rum.

Elmer T. Lee, the closest to a perfect bourbon I know. I might have said, Rock Hill Farms, but it isn't as consistent as ETL.

Gary

This is a nice litle thought provoking idea.

I normally drink as a house pour Charter 12, as its low price allows for the purchasing of more expensive whiskies that I couldn't drink everyday, but if I could only have one for the rest of my life, I wouldn't have to worry about spreading the money around. I don't quite think the budget would stretch to allow me to drink $40 bottles on a regular basis, but I can see$30-32 happening.

One bourbon that I love barely squeeks into that at $32 and change: Rare Breed.

I think I can live with that. lol.gif

I might have said, Rock Hill Farms, but it isn't as consistent as ETL.

It is also two to three times the price.

I do not have the confidence in my ability to pick a bourbon today that I will still prefer a year from now. My preferences have changed dramatically over the past year, I see no reason to assume that they are now permanent.

Right now, I would choose Elmer T. Lee. It has everything I enjoy in a fine bourbon and at a reasonable price.

Tim

Keeping in mind your proviso about personal affordability, I'd go with Weller 12yo, which is only available around here in 1.75L bottles, but for a wondrous $29.99 (in a store that routinely gives me a 10% discount toast.gif).

Nice, well-aged bourbon at a great price.

Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10 Year Old.

This is the bourbon that really got me into bourbon, and it continues to be my favorite as far as taste goes. The price is right too.

I would buy Rock Hill Farms by the barrel and have it bottled in inexpensive containers.

If I had to buy by the bottle then Bulleit, Knob Creek, Elmer T., Elijah Craig or 100 proof Barton.

Those are my Bourbon choices. If I absolutely had only one choice it would be a well aged Rye.

Regards,

Squire

I could make a long list of bourbons that I could be happy with, day in day out, year after year. Choosing one from that list would be painful. I'll keep thinking about it, but after reading this thread, I found myself pacing back and forth, waving my hands, and talking out loud. confused.gif

Ed

For me it would be Van Winkle Family Reserve Lot B. I never tire of drinking this wonderful bourbon and if the bottle I grab happens to have Randy Blank's name on the sticker so much the better! thankyousign.gif

I guess this question really puts one on the spot. A lot of terrific options, but I have to go with Evan Williams Single Barrel 1994. This is my favorite of the EWSB family and is also at the top of my list of favorite bourbons. To me, it goes well on a hot day, a cold day, when I'm happy, and when things go to crap. I love it's range.

toast.gif

JOE

I do not have the confidence in my ability to pick a bourbon today that I will still prefer a year from now. My preferences have changed dramatically over the past year, I see no reason to assume that they are now permanent.

I understand that. Tastes do truely change over time. According to Ken W. this even happens to the pros (he mentioned Elmer has developed quite a sweet tooth, very apperent in ETL). So in five years you may want to petition the courts to revise your choice....

But today, the pressure is ON. If you don't select one you will be denied ANY Bourbon.....

Ken icon_pidu.gif<font color="blue">And thanks everyone for playing! Fun discussion.</font> icon_pidu.gif

I could make a long list of bourbons that I could be happy with, day in day out, year after year. Choosing one from that list would be painful. I'll keep thinking about it, but after reading this thread, I found myself pacing back and forth, waving my hands, and talking out loud. confused.gif

Ed

Ed, I gotta tell you, the vision of you pacing around over this has had me smiling all morning. Great image! Thanks!

Ken

Count me in with the Elmer T Lee crowd. I've really come to like this over the past couple of months. If I had to pick a second choice, it would be some form of Eagle Rare.

Jay

I guess this question really puts one on the spot. A lot of terrific options, but I have to go with Evan Williams Single Barrel 1994. This is my favorite of the EWSB family and is also at the top of my list of favorite bourbons. To me, it goes well on a hot day, a cold day, when I'm happy, and when things go to crap. I love it's range.

toast.gif

JOE

This would be my choice as well, and I could not have put it any better. There are certain bourbons that are great on a winter day and there are certain bourbons that are great on a summer day. This one just seems to be great all the time.

Unfortunately, I have about two pours of the 1994 left. This will definitely be savored.

Well I guess if price be a consideration it would be Elmer T. Lee, if not, then any Van Winkle bowdown.gif(most probably ORVW 15-107 except you can't buy it anymore) banghead.gifhot.gif

Joe usflag.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.