UPC for JTS Brown (Dawn??)

kbuzbee
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've had two bottles of JTS Brown. The first I bought a few months ago:

UPC 96749 21130

Distilled by J.T.S. Brown's Son Company reg Dist 31 of KY

Bottled by J.T.S. Brown's Son Company Bardstown Kentucky D.S.P. KY 31

The neck is gold with diagonal red cursive writing Distilled and Bottled in over black letter printed KENTUCKY.

The label on the back had all the distilled and bottled data and:

Distilled and bottled in Kentucky. The heart of the Bourbon country. Famous for generations for fine Bourbon. Made from a time honored formula by master craftsmen and from the finest ingredients obtainable. Stored under ideal conditions in new properly seasoned charred white oak barrels

For an $11 bottle of Bourbon, this was fantastic. So when it ran out last night I went for a replacement. It is labeled slightly differently:

UPC 96749 53137

Distilled by Heaven Hill Distilleries, Inc. D.S.P. Ky 31

Bottled by J.T.S. Brown's Son Company Bardstown Kentucky D.S.P. KY 31

The neck band is red with J.T.S. Brown in White letters over a white 100 in a black circle over Bottled in Bond in white over UNDER U.S. GOVERNMENT SUPERVISION over a gold ring with black 100 PROOF.

The label on the back had all the distilled and bottled data and the Surgeon General's warning. No prosaic discriptions.

I will post impressions when I try it but are these the same or different (the actual whisky)?? From the glass I would guess the first one was bottled in 03 and the second one in 04. I sure hope the second is as good as the first one was.

Thanks for any insight.

Ken

Ken, DSP-KY-31 is Heaven Hill's Bardstown distillery which, of course, burned in November 1996. Of course, it also corresponds with HH's UPC prefix, which is 96749, as you have on both bottles.

The only non-HH UPC I can find a reference to on a JTS Brown bottle is 83924031327, the producer identifier (the first 5 digits) of which it has in common with older T.W. Samuels. Since both are now HH brands, perhaps that is an older Heaven Hill UPC.

Thanks Tim and Dawn. I find it odd the two bottles have two different UPCs. They also have different (though similar) tastes. I also notice our Bourbon Database list only the 80 proof JTS Brown..... I'm sure I'm making a mystery out of thin air, but, hey, in Ohio we hardly EVER see something you might think is a mystery. If either of you happens on anything additional on this, please keep me in mind.

Ken

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.