Duty Free Bottlings

barturtle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Okay it looks like I'm going to France for a study abroad this summer, seems like a good time to do some shopping.

Anybody know of any bottlings that I should look for in the duty free shops, or of any shops in France or easy to go to surrounding countries that might carry export only bottlings(and which ones to look for in those shops).

Also what's the limit to bring back into the country?

Thanks

Keep your eyes open for the original Four Roses Single Barrel. In years past it has been widely available at the largest grocery chains in France, including Francprix and Monoprix, but is only distributed in France, the Netherlands, and the Czech Republic. It is excellent 7 year old bourbon and the bottle is among the most attractive shelf dwellers you can display.

post-207-14489812117644_thumb.jpg

Maison du Whisky (Paris) has -- or did, anyway -- the Rittenhouse 10yo BIB rye.

Also, FYI: According to Jimmy Russell, the WT 8yo and the WT101 are the same bourbon in different trade dress in order to identify 'parallel shipping'. So, unless the label means something to you, you can get the same thing here.

Maison du Whisky website

I also recommend the Rittenhouse although I´m not sure how easy it is to track down in tradtional French liquor stores. A trip to La Maison is probably worth the effort if you have the time.

The Four Roses SB is also very good. Almost worth getting for the beautiful nose, alone. I haven´t had the opportunity to sniff the 100 proof version so I can´t tell how they compare.

Thanks for the link Tim, I had noticed the site before, but I can't read(or speak) French. However your suggestion made me willing to scour the site anyway and I turned up quite a few things I hadn't even remembered or thought it possible to lay my hands on. Somehow all of the different bottlings of Blanton's had slipped my mind, and I hadn't even considered the possibility of EW 23yo(a nice collectors piece though I've heard a few negative remarks about it).

Several, people have mentioned the FRSB, and yes that is one of the most stunningly beautiful bottles that I can think of, probably a must get, especially for the price.

The WT 12yo is a possibility, though it is one I've had before, and it does still show up in the States (not that I'm finding them cry.gif, but still).

I did run across the Whisky Exchange ( www.thewhiskyexchange.com ) site, as well. Seems they are a quick EuroRail ride into London(plus I can read their site).

Thanks guys, keep'em coming. Anything you know of, including whisk(e)y-centic bars to visit, will be great.

According to Jimmy Russell, the WT 8yo and the WT101 are the same bourbon in different trade dress in order to identify 'parallel shipping'.

That's interesting Tim. I'd suspected the local 101 was no longer 8 yo once they dropped that designator from the domestic label. Thanks!

Ken

I had a thought and was wondering if anyone might know what ever happened to a bottling. Shortly before UDV sold off its brands, they had reintroduced James E Pepper as an export bottling. Does anyone know who got this label in the sale, whether it is still bottled, and to what countries it is sold? A fairly exaustive web search has only turned it up in Bosnia (who'da figured?)

A picture I grabbed of the site where I found it.

post-1106-14489812117996_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.