Whisky Magazines latest

Chaz7
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was very pleased with the latest issue of Great Britain's (hence no E) Whisky Magazine. First, a good article by Chuck (Charles to those oh so formal Brits) Cowdrey on one woman's quest to bourbonfy New York. But I was very pleased to see 11 reviews on bourbon. Although reviews really are opinions, I will be picking up a bottle of Old Fitzgerald 12 y.o. The liked it as much as Pappy Van Winkle 15 y.o., one of my faves! Now some of you will be disappointed on the less than stellar review on the GT Stagg. The "T" they did really enjoy was Elmer's. Recommend you pick up a copy.

I saw the start of that article online the other day. She is a member of our forum, tlsmothers. Congrats to her on the excellent publicity. Thanks Chuck for showcasing her efforts.

Interesting that they liked the Old Fitz that much. I'm guessing that this is the VSOF from the BHC. I've always liked this bottling, but never seen it get praise quite like that. woohoo.gif

Well, I don't know about the bottling, but it is the VSOF. Evan Williams Black scored by BOTH reviewers higher than GTS, and that was quite interesting. For those unfamiliar with Whisky Magazine, (and in this forum there can't be many)is a international periodical of our favorite pastime published in the U.K. It's mostly Scotch, but the last couple of issues featured bourbon (thank you Chuck)but this is the most reviews I've seen on bourbon for quite some time. And, I would like to extend a very big thank you to LaNell for letting us all learn alittle more about the wonders of bourbon. I hope to see a few bars in Colorado read this and decide bourbon deserves a list just as the single malts have.

Well, I don't know about the bottling, but it is the VSOF

Oh, sorry- Very Special Old Fitzgerald was originally part of the Bourbon Heritage Collection. Of course it may have changed some since Heaven Hill took over the brand, but if it's even close to what it was it should still be quite a nice pour.

Regretably no bookstore here sells either Whisky or Malt Advocate. I think I should subscribe, I really miss it, as I used to pick it up when I was in KY.

As far as bourbon friendly bars: give it time, I was a bartender in Louisville, KY from 96-04 and I watched the bar selections grow steadily over that time, and that's in bourbon country. While the trend has hit New York and Chicago(I know these for sure as I've been there) smaller cities will require more time. I say frequent a bar that already has a good selection of whiskey(even if it's scotch) get well known and ask them if they can stock this or that. Most bars are very willing to order in a bottle of this or that and see if it sells(in other words-go there and drink it!) and if they see a demand more will follow.

Good luck.

It won't be out here for at least 4-6 weeks - we just got the previous issue on the news stands.

Can't wait to read it though grin.gifwink.gif

i was very lucky to pick up the last bottle OFVS 12 year old , part of heritage collection at a package store in Alabama. But the bottle seemed short as in one and 1/2 inches from bottom of the neck. it was in a box it had a bourbon smell and bottle seemed a little moist, but not tooo bad. seal is tight and not as moist as bottle. just seeing if any body else had this problem, if it is one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.