Around the house brands

wku88
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

bobbyc mentioned this in another thread, so I thought I'd float it out to the collective. Pardon if this has been done before.

Any recommendations for a pleasant, and economical pour to keep around for personal, social, or otherwise just getting away from the rat race reasons?

Let's say under $15 a fifth (750ml for you metric types grin.gif)

My votes: Old Charter 8Yr., VOB 90, Ezra Brooks black label.

I thought this had been done, but a quick search didn't seem to turn up much.

I could probably list half a dozen good bourbons in this price range, but I keep getting frustrated by some of my favs being just $2-3 too much to qualify. So I vote for Rittenhouse Rye 100. Not as widely available as any of us would like it, but Sam's lists it at $12.99 yum.gif

Also Very Rare Old Heaven Hill 10yo 100 ~$11

I second the VOB 90 and Charter 8-any of those bottlings for that matter.

I'll vote for a sure thing, Ten High. For 7 bucks a 750ml it has the bang for the buck. Not the most sophisticated thing you'll drink but a solid value. toast.gif

Nothing to cry about if someones mixes it with Coke or Kool-Aid.

Don't forget JW Dant!

I guess bang for the buck is what I'm after. Altho most anything in this price range will mix well, Think of something that you would not flinch drinking it neat, or with a few ice cubes.

Heaven Hill is a sentimental fave, and I completely forgot about Dant. Good call!

Old Fitzgerald BIB would qualify well, IMHO. Sam's has it at $13.99 for 750ml, $17.99 for a liter, or $28.99 for a 1.75l... and it's tasty.

I don't know if this is consistently under $15, but Jim Beam Black label 8yo is usually available under $20. I always have a bottle in the house ready to open or, if already open, I buy a replacement before it's gone.

Along Bobby's lines, Kentucky Tavern is another one that is so cheap, yet drinkable, that its versatility is endless.

My vote goes to Old Grandad 100 or even the 86 proof regular stuff is not bad. I have found that if you do a blind tasting, people often mistake it for a high end bourbon.

Jimmy

My recent "discovery" is JTS Brown. Nice and spicey with a decent mouth feel. Around $11 here.

Tim, you got me thinking. My folks always used to drink Kentucky Tavern. I may have to pick up a bottle. Haven't had a pour of that in years.

Ken

By coincidence I am having a pour of a bourbon that in this market qualifies as an under fifteen dollar bourbon, but which is very difficult to get in the States. I W Harper Gold Medal. I have in the past said that it is not really my cup of tea, but it tastes fine tonight. Nice vanilla, some cookie spice, warm alcohol, not hot. A little light, but I am in the mood for that tonight.

In case anyone here envies me the I W Harper, let me tell you that many of the bourbons you have been talking about in the thread either aren't available here or are only available at a premium price.

Ed

I can currently get Elijah Craig 12 for $14.99 (on sale from it's usual $16.99.) I my humble opinion, at that price, it is an absolute steal and the best value in the store.

Nothing decent is less than $15 in Alabama. Elijah Craig 12-year old is about the closest thing at $17. Even OGD 86 is right at $15.

Tim

Ezra Brooks Black is hard to beat. look at Anceint Anceint Age, in alabama abc the only way is 1.75 . in alabama good and cheap don't mix. bandit.gif

All the ones I listed are under $15 at the ABC store here in T-town. Sometimes you can get Elijah 12 for about that on sale, but I seem to remember getting an EC 15 yr. a few years ago...was there such an animal, or am I dreaming?

What's funny is OC 8 is $9.99, and on a recent trip to KY, it was $12.

Wow. With all the discussion in the past on Ancient Ancient Age 10 year (limited distribution) and AAA 10 star (a little easier to find), I am surprised no one has mentioned them yet. We're talking $12-$15 for either. I also am really enjoying the OGB 100 proof (BinB). It has such a unique character about it.

The prices are always the same at all ABC stores in the state. On the occasions when they do run sales, the sale dates and prices are all the same, too.

Tim

I most certainly would have mentioned AAA 10 if it was in the price range required by the thread. Here it is 2080 yen. I am taking 1,800 yen as equivalent to 15 dollars US. I am rounding up a bit to get an even number.

I will say that Ancient Age is a fine pour at the price which is well under US $15. I don't remember what I paid as I don't drink it often, I prefer older bourbon, but it ain't at all bad! I had some last night after the I W Harper and it was good. Followed with AAA which was better, of course. Still, the AA didn't disappoint.

Evan Williams 7 yo is just over US $10 now. But the real steal in that line is the EW 12 which is selling for 1,750 yen. They are both on sale. The EW 7 yo is always under US $15. Both the extra time in the wood and the higher proof mean that I haven't bought any EW 7 yo lately.

Jim Beam Black is just about 200 yen over the cut off point. Jim Beams Choice is under it but I have never had that. I am guessing that it is a good under fifteen dollar pour, but with the Black around at a reasonable price, why bother? I may try it just to see.

I had a bottle of Benchmark that was decent, but in that price range, I particularly like the VOB 90. You might check out the Old Forester 86. But adding a couple of bucks here gets OGD 100 and Old Charter 12, which are favorites of mine.

Mt around the house favorites are Jim Beam black And Buffalo Trace, even though they are closer to 20.00.

Thomas

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.