New guy trying bourbons, want good and value

fogfrog
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi,

A few weeks ago I was down in KY travelling for work and thought I'd try bourbon because I was in KY, so I went into the State Store and talked with the people who were in there and they suggested several bottles, but I ended up spending a bit more and getting Jim Beam White Label 7 year old and was surprised it was 10 bucks for a pint when the other were cheaper but I figured it was the name. But I remember my friend drinking Jim Beam when I was in the Navy so I got it.

This stuff I really liked. I put it on ice in the hotel room and thought.... I like this a lot better than the Canadian Mist I had been drinking.

So now I am back in Kansas and went into a small liquor store and they have three shelves high and not too many choices.

I ended up buying some Old Crow because I am cheap and used to drink that when I was in the Navy and I thought that it only cost less than Jim Beam probably because Jim Beam has a better name.

Now I will say this Old Crow cost 10 bucks a liter and it is pretty good, but I think the Jim Beam was better maybe because it was 7 years old instead of 3?

The Old Crow is a little rough. I definitely liked the Jim Beam better. But now I am getting confused about the Seven year old and the Eight. I think it is a Dollar more for the Eight year old Black Label. But the 7 year old and the cheaper Jim Beam I am just learning about, and am going to have to review what they have in the store.

So I want something smoother than the Old Crow and maybe I should go for the Jim Beam Black Label. I read most of the forums last night and got some ideas about trying maybe Evan Williams or something else. First I have to find a liquor store with more choices! I live in Lenexa KS and we have some large liquor stores here so it should not be a problem.

I am looking for suggestions on what to try next. I don't want to spend a lot of money and am wondering what my next bottle should be. I would like to get something say a bit cheaper than the Jim Beam Black Label but that is very good for a new guy to try.

Would that be Evan William Black Label?

How much should you pay for a decent drinkable bourbon? What are the best bourbons for a guy who doesn't want to spend a lot?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul,

Since you don't want to spend any money to speak of, try the Evan Williams. The black label 7 year old and the "1783" 10 year old if you can find it. Both should be 10 bucks or less. I'll be surprised if you don't like them better than what you've been drinking. Also try Ezra Brooks 90 proof. Cheap and pretty good.

Joe usflag.gif

Joe:

I just went over to the store and the Evan Williams and the Ezrah Brooks were both 20 for a 1.75L bottle.

There was only one bottle of the Ezrah Brooks and it said it was bottled in St. Louis so I got the Evan Williams.

It looks like the Evan Williams is very popular at this store as it is about the most populated brand on the shelves next to the Jim Beam.

I was also happy to see that Evan Williams has a cheaper green label and that is NOT what I bought so the Black Label should be at least a cut above what I had with the Old Crow. And I do believe it is cheaper than the Jim Beam 7YO.

Thanks!

Paul

I think you'll be pleasantly suprised by the quality of the Evan Williams. I prefer it over ice or in a manhattan. If you can find it, try a bottle of Very Old Barton yum.gif

Chances are good you'll find Jim Beam Black 8yo under $20. Whether you think of it as a top-of-the-line mid-shelfer, or a lower-end premium bottling, it's a good value, and not terribly similar to the white-label offerings.

Hi Tim,

I am curious about the Black Label because I really like the 7YO white label. I just thought the black label was a year older and didn't know what is the big deal about that? How are they different?

Thanks,

Paul

I don't have any more of the Jim Beam 7YO to compare, but I Thought it was easier to drink than the Evan Williams. Not sure. Maybe it was sweeter too. Certainly lighter in color.

I am finding their was not such a price break and probably from now on will go with the 750ml bottles until I know I REALLY like something. The price savings on Bourbon does not seem as great as it does on say Tangueray when you are buying bigger bottles.

A 750ml is 10 and a 1.75 is 20, ... makes me think buying smaller is better in Bourbon.

Jeff,

Thanks for the info. I am enjoying the Evan Williams with Diet Coke and Diet 7UP. Its awesome like that. Its also good with water. I tried it straight up and it is a bit rough, but with a bit of water its great. I really like it even with the various diet sodas though.

Thanks,

Paul

...I am curious about the Black Label because I really like the 7YO white label. I just thought the black label was a year older and didn't know what is the big deal about that? How are they different?..

To me, anyway, the Black has a much fruitier palate, with more barrel notes. I think the white-label bottlings show a little more grain and a lighter body.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.