Gillmanized Fine Rums

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last night almost by accident I confected one of my finest-ever rum blends, this was in the glass of which only two ounces are left.

It is a combination of 8 rums in total. Three are Cuban rums: a 3 year old, 7 year old, and the Brown Label Anejo Reserve (no age stated), all from Havana Club. These rums especially when young have a pronounced "funky" taste.

They comprise in equal measures about 50%.

The other 50% is a combination of Gosling black rum from Bermuda (rich and cinnamon-like), Bacardi 8 year old (quite dark but fairly tasteless in my view) and Screech from Jamaica via blending in Newfoundland - a good amber fragrant Island rum. Oh and some London Dock, a rich rum from Guyana that may be slightly sweetened or darkened with caramel.

The result: a reddish-copper-coloured drink, like an English ale.

The mouth feel is very soft, what I try to achieve in all my blends.

The character of the younger Cuban rums comes through but swathed in ornate vestments of caramel, molasses and spice cake.

The taste is beautifully integrated and very long and the aftertaste lingers with light spice notes in the finish.

I don't think I'll ever get it as good again because I don't have all the original ingredients any more and in any case I'd never get the particular combination right.

It is a one-off, as good as well-balanced soft bourbon or a fine Cognac.

Gary

Gary, is current-make Cuban rum available in Canada? It isn't, of course, available here because of trade restrictions. And, I suppose, it wouldn't be legal even for you to bring it into the U.S., huh?

Oh yes trade with Cuba has been lawful here for many years.

The main (I think the only) brand I've seen is the Havana Club line which I described earlier.

The best in my view is the Brown Label Anejo which has (I can't think of any other way to say it) a "brown" taste. Very soft and balanced but lacking the chutzpah of the 3 year old or the fudgy body of the 7 year old. My combination of the three was not successful. It was only when I combined a few ounces of the combo with a similar amount of 4 dark rums blended that a fine flavour resulted.

The taste of the yellow-coloured 3 year old is very pronounced and it comes through even in a proportion of 1:7 or so but now it is in its right place.

I believe it would not be legal for me to bring Havana Club to America.

You'll have to visit us up here, Tim. smile.gif

Hi Tim,

Hi Gary,

I haven't tried the Havana Club Rum since no one here had mentioned it, so I figured it to be nothing special. I had forgotten the trade embargo. I will pick one up next time I can't find enought bourbon to fill my shopping cart. Might be a while.

Ed

If you are going to sample some in Japan, Ed, try the Brown Label anejo, it is very well balanced, soft and cocoa-like.

Gary

Apparently, even Scotch that has been aged in a Cuban rum cask (e.g. Glenfiddich Havana Reserve) can't be brought in. banghead.gif

There are many rums available in the U.S. that would suit the experiment I mentioned earlier, the Cuban is just another type.

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.