Laphroig 10 years old

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Okay so last night lined up 1/4 cask, Cask Strength and 10yo.... About 2 oz of each in Cask Aged Spirirts glasses...

The basic 10yo held up wonderfully well against these two "specialty" products.... The nose is true and gives every indication of the force the palate will bring. With each sip you can hear the waves crashing on the Scotish shore, the call of the seagulls and the salty - sea smell.... To say the 10 yo is leggy doesn't quite get it. It just clings to the side of the glass.

The 1/4 cask was also wonderful but seemed a bit muted compared to the 10 yo..... You get a bit more wood which I found detracted a bit from the personality.

Now the Cask Strength.... Wow, what can you say? I expected it to be the same (but "more"!?!) as the 10 yo.... But since the 10 yo is one of the most intense things I've ever tasted, that was an expectation I really couldn't visualize..... Well, it was also accurate. The CS is simply "more". More nose, more viscous, more sea, more salt, more iodine, more smoke, MORE PEAT! It was how I often envision most people initially find the Laphroaig 10 yo. I didn't. I loved it immediately....

I'm going to have to spend some time with this one.... It may be TOO much (hard for me to fathom but maybe) but I'm willing to spend the time with it to find out:grin: I MAY come to love the CS.

Ken

Have you spent any time with the CS yet?

Ed

Not yet, Ed... It may be a while.... Been hanging out in Wild Turkey-ville since that night. I'll probably return to the sea within the next week or so:grin: ... I'll let you know.

Ken

Have you spent any time with the CS yet?

Ed

So, Ed.... Last couple evenings have been spent with the CS.... We've become fast friends and I am socking a few away for this winter. Laphroaig is one of my favorite drinks in the late Autumn through snow season (oh, yeah, I forgot.... Global warming... There won't be any snow this year:slappin:) Well, anyway, the CS is quite wonderful and a true expression of what Laphroaig is all about... I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't just LOVE the standard 10yo but if you do...... This malt's for you!

Ken

So, Ed.... Last couple evenings have been spent with the CS.... We've become fast friends and I am socking a few away for this winter. Laphroaig is one of my favorite drinks in the late Autumn through snow season (oh, yeah, I forgot.... Global warming... There won't be any snow this year:slappin:) Well, anyway, the CS is quite wonderful and a true expression of what Laphroaig is all about... I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't just LOVE the standard 10yo but if you do...... This malt's for you!

Ken

Hi Ken,

Just what I expected.

Ed

Last night the Ardbeg 10 yo won the laurels. The kind of peatreek that makes you sit in your chair, glass in hand and sigh, savoring the finish of a fine whisky. However, tonight's pour of Laphroaig 10 yo is eclipsing last night's Ardbeg 10 yo. I will allow it a round in the ring now and see how it fairs tonight.

Stopped into a store I've been in several times... Rarely find anything of much interest. The last purchase there was their last 5 bottles of RR101 many months back but today found a bottle of Ardbeg 10yo! Never thought I'd see that here but.... just goes to show you.... Probably sit on it until the weather cools but once I crack it open I'll let you know.

Ken

The Ardbeg is one of my favorite Islay malts. Where the Laphroaig CS has more of a medicinal and iodine Islay flavor the Ardbeg is all peat smoke. Its just kicks you the whole time and then it wont go away for a long time. One of the best finishes of all the Islay malts.

If you can make in happen I suggest the Bowmore 17. It gives you all the greatness of an Islay but it also has all the tones of a great single malt. The wood and honey of a highland, mixed with the punch in the face smoke and Iodine of Islay.

You should get a hold of the two Compass Box Islay inspired vatted malts they do, The Peat Monster and Eleuthera. Since you like the Laphroaig CS you should try the Lagavulin 12yo CS. They do a different bottling every year and they seem to just get better. I'm rambling, I can go on and on about Islay's. I am a PEATFREAK :bowdown:

Don't feel bad if you don't like Laphroaig. It's definitely a love-it-or-hate-it dram. The people who love it are just more vocal than the others.

Boy, no doubt!

I love this stuff, it is one of my favorite scotches, although I don't buy them anymore after discovering bourbon, I do miss this one flavor. The incredibly rich, smokey flavor with an oily texture is unlike anything else I have ever had.

On the other hand, my brother in law who LOVES scotch, gave me the bottle because he found the stuff incredibly foul. I just gave him a bottle of Macallan 18, look forward to trying that one when I see him next...

Joel

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.