Cabot Tower Demerara Rum

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This product is a Demerara rum, from Guyana. Demerara denotes a dark, rich style of rum. Cabot Tower is the name given to a Demerara rum imported to Newfoundland, Canada in bulk and bottled by Newfoundland Liquor Corporation in St. John's, the chief city of Newfoundland. The rum is named after a local landmark, named in turn after the famous explorer John Cabot.

I had tasted this when in Newfoundland earlier this year. At the time, it was not available in Ontario but now is and I picked it up today. (Another favourite Newfoundland Demerara, Old Sam, also now is available in Ontario).

Cabot Tower is 57.1% alc./vol. The label states it is, "Proof Strength" and, "100 Degrees Proof". This is a reference to the old British Sykes system of calculating proof and abv. We have discussed this here numerous times. 100 degrees Sykes is 57.1% abv and pure alcohol is 175 degrees, unlike the American system where proof is double alcohol by volume.

This rum has a fine nose combining alcohol, cocoa, molasses, black licorice and winy notes.

I am sipping it neat and find it has a tangy alcohol underpinning overlaid by the said chocolate, sugar and anise but also some oak wood. I don't know if caramel is added, if so it only improves the rum. The taste, albeit at this high strength, is balanced and very full, zesty.

A very nice drink that might be termed the George Stagg of the rum world - rum with a capital R, that is.

I bought it to assist my rum blending experiments but I think I'll keep most of it for neat sipping, parsimoniously so in light of the formidable alcohol content.

Whoever put this this brand together (whether the distiller or a blender at Newfoundland Liquor Corporation) knows exactly what they are doing.

Gary

it was not available in Ontario but now is and I picked it up today.

Not available in Windsor just across the river 40 miles away. Damn.

I did get a Canadian-American friend to pick up a bottle of Danfield whisky for me there, though.

Guess I'll have to wait until the next trip to Toronto.

Jeff

Damn that sound good, Gary. Will you quit it! lol.gif

A very nice drink that might be termed the George Stagg of the rum world - rum with a capital R, that is

Seriously, I need to find some of this.

Thanks!

Ken

How would you rate the Danfield's, Jeff?

I've had it several times before now, neat, on rocks, and earlier this evening in a low-vermouth Manhattan (it wouldn't hold up to my usual 2:1 straight rye:vermouth). I've enjoyed it more than most Canadian blends, but I guess I just am more into straights. I have also Gilmanized it without great success (this is a new skill I've yet to master).

My wife has just poured a VO as a standard and Danfield's to complare blind. (I was going to use a 1984 VO, but that was in the cellar at 54F (that's about 12C for those youngsters of you in countries with metrication). I have about 1/2 oz. of each in Riedle "O" spirits glasses.

Well, I can pick out the Danfield nose with no trouble - that metallic, firm, ozone nose of Canadian rye. And alcohol. The other (presumably VO) has more rye than I would remember, probably since I am looking for it. Both are very light on the nose, and a bit of fruit. Much sweeter than the Danfield's.

On the palate, the Danfield's has a light, firm rye with a definite orange note, especially on the finish. The VO is softer, prettier, sweeter, but less complex.

Now, just to compare, and not blind, I've poured a splash of the 1984 (tax stamped) VO. Definitely the same style as the modern VO, but more robust, especially more rye, and with some fresh leather (think shoe-store) notes. Still very light compared to a straight (duh), but very well balanced, with real finesse.

I like the Danfield's dry, focused rye, but find the orange notes a little out-of-balance and off-putting. I would rank it behind the 1984 VO, and ahead of the present VO.

But I don't know what to do with it. I think it would be best as a base for blending with some straights.

Any other ideas?

I am going to switch to oolong so as to get through the movie we have picked for the evening. Otherwise, I'll sleep through it! lol.gif

(BTW, whisk(e)y in tea is very nice.)

Jeff

Great notes, thanks. I had some 1980 VO recently and thought it much better than the current version, so we agree there since your '84 wouldn't be that different from the '80. Personally I like the Danfield, I get that orange note you mentioned, too.

It's easy to improve it, Jeff! Add 20%-33% any good straight rye. Or two different ryes (one older, say Saz 18, one younger). You will have an excellent rye whiskey this way.

Or, add a mix of bourbons and Jack: say 20% each of 2 bourbons, 10% Jack Daniels.

Perfect! And if it doesn't work, turn it into a Sazerac per one of the recipes posted today on the Board. Can't lose!

Gary

Ken I'll bring some to B'town in April. smile.gif

Gary

Thanks Gary. We have a family trip planned then so unless something changes I won't be in attendance. Things change though so we'll see.

Ken

Or, add a mix of bourbons and Jack: say 20% each of 2 bourbons, 10% Jack Daniels.

I just made up such a mix with 20% Old Forester Bonded (my decanter bourbon), 20% Old Taylor (which is a perfectly pleasant bourbon, but I've had on hand some time and want to finish to make room in the cupboard) and 10% Jack (which is years old as I don't really like it), and the balance Danfield's.

Now this is what a Canadian whisky should taste like! There is a touch of a bitter finish which I attribute to the Jack, but it is a delightful whisky.

That pesky orange still comes through, though. smile.gif

I will try a rye mix another time as rye whiskey is probably my favorite genre, and I may try the 100% rye Alberta Premium as a base for that. It is such a lean, dry whisky that it will no doubt be quite different.

Thanks for the specific suggstion, Gary. This could be a hobby in itself!

Jeff

I will try a rye mix another time as rye whiskey is probably my favorite genre, and I may try the 100% rye Alberta Premium as a base for that. It is such a lean, dry whisky that it will no doubt be quite different

This took a little more work to get a balanced whisky. I started with 20% Old Rittenhouse Bonded, 20% Fleishmann's Rye (80 proof), 10% Woodford Reserve (for sweetness), 50% Alberta Premium. Too much of that lean, metallic Alberta rye. So I added another 20% (for a total of 120% smile.gif ) Old Overholt. That brought things into balance.

Only trouble is, I'm working with a 50 ml graduated flask, and this means that I have now consumed nearly 100 ml. And this is before I start cooking dinner.

This could be a problem, as this involves sharp objects and flame. lol.gif

This is fun!

(Probably should move the thread.)

Jeff

Well done, Jeff, but glad that orange note came through, that's what I like about Danfield's!

Next time, drop the Jack to about 5%, this may reduce the slight aftertaste you are getting.

Alberta Premium and Danfield's, by all means. Combining Canadian ryes tends to increase complexity. But remember that most of the whisky in the Alberta Premium was (originally) 94% abv spirit, only a little (blended in at birth) is low-proof straight-type whiskey. So you won't get in other words from this combination the type of straight whiskey top-notes you got from your first blend. But keep trying, you'll hit on the right formula!

Gary

All I can express is admiration. The graduated flask, used as you may know by Scots blenders, is ideal for such experiments. What you have done in my view is bring the drink (Canadian rye whisky) close to its 1800's roots. Some people will say why is the Canadian whisky necessary in the blend? Because all-straight rye, plain or vatted, is a formidable drink. Not everyone is up to it especially for neat drinking. Enough good quality Canadian whisky can "leaven" a heavy-duty whiskey like straight rye. And using more than one straight rye adds complexity and assists the balance being sought. Again I'll say, all these combinations reflect American blending formulas from 19th century books, we're not doing anything (in the idea of it) new here.

Gary

The graduated flask, used as you may know by Scots blenders, is ideal for such experiments.

What, doesn't everyone have a set of these lying around? lol.gif

I never gave any thought to not using them. I've picked them up somewhere over the years. Living in a university community makes this easy.

Jeff

PS - That's tea in the graduates, not whisky. An old stage/movie trick. Didn't want to risk spilling the good stuff!

post-1039-14489812157203_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.