My first try mixing a Sazerac

CrispyCritter
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is, oddly enough, the first time I've ever mixed a real cocktail... I based it on Chuck Taggart's recipe, although I added a couple of dashes of Regan's Orange Bitters in addition to the Peychaud's. I'm using Rittenhouse BIB for the rye, prepared simple syrup, and Herbsaint. I left the Herbsaint in after coating the glass; for lack of an Old Fashioned glass I'm using a Chivas Regal glass - sacrelige, I know, but it works nonetheless. smile.gif

Sublime. yum.giftoast.gif

The Herbsaint, to me at least, comes through more in the nose than on the palate, with the lemon and the bitters making their contribution as well, and the whole thing goes down really nicely. drink.gif

Sometime, I'll need to try it with the Sazerac Rye...

I'm glad you're enjoying your first made-yourself cocktail. Checking the recipe, I wholeheartedly agree with it. Judging by the fact that you enjoy it after leaving in the Herbsaint, I would say that you like licorice, I'm not a fan, so a little goes a looooong way for me, after coating I shake the glass to remove excess and use a 3 ounce pour of rye. I can still tell it's there, but for my tastes it is in balance.

I see no problem with using the Chivas glass, I use a large, stemless double martini glass(made by Libby called a Cosmo glass) will really hold a 6 oz drink with room to allow for moving without spillage.

I'm drinking them this evening made with WT rye. yum.gif

Yes, I like licorice... and now I'm trying Herbsaint served "absinthe-style," one ounce of it, a teaspoon of simple syrup, and about 4 oz. of ice water drizzled in. It turns to an opalescent light green as the water is added and the ingredients precipitate out from the alcohol.

Good thing I like licorice. yum.gif I don't think I could take a shot of it straight up, though, even though it's 90 proof. When I nosed the bottle after first opening it, the anise was quite intense.

Then again, pastis isn't really intended to be consumed straight out of the bottle. bigeyes.gif

Interesting! Licorice is one of only a couple of flavors that I do not like. While in Paris on a recent trip, a bartender/mixologist friend of mine made me a Sazerac and when I put the glass to my lips I immediately smelled the licorice, but upon tasting it, the licorice was very subtle. The taste was quite pleasant. Conversely, while in New Orleans last year I had a Sazerac and it was one of the worst tasting drinks I ever had!

Ken

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.