Your favoite from each non-whiskey type of drink.

EricABQ
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Rum: Rhum Barbancourt 15 yr. old. This is a very sweet, creamy sipping rum. Not overly fruity, which is why it is my favorite. Aged rum is a category I'd like to explore some more. Selection is a bit of an issue in my town, though.

Tequila: Sol Dios Anejo. A three yr. anejo, the agave has faded quite a bit, and the wood is at the fore. I could see this being described as a whiskey drinker's tequila. Tequila purists may find it too "untequila" tasting. Pricey, may be hard to find, but easily recognizable from it's blue pyramid bottle. (as an aside, I have to hand it to the tequila marketers for making the tequila aisle the most interesting from a visual standpoint.)

Vodka: I was always an Absolut buyer, but I really don't know much about this category.

Gin: Again, I don't know much, but Beefeater always did the trick.

Beer: Any good quality IPA for me. Ice cold, in a chilled glass........that's good drinking. The hoppier the better.

Brand, Cognac, etc.: Never tried any of it.

Rum: I haven't really explored this spirit a whole lot, beyond doing the typical college rum & coke thing. I have Bacardi Gold and Black Seal in the bar, but neither is anything I'd drink straight.

Tequila: Another segment I haven't explored...the typical tequila I'll have on hand isn't 100% agave or high-end stuff, it's just typical bar-fare that people can slam down with a lime slice, so I'll abstain here.

Vodka: Now I can start to name names--Pearl. Although I think the whole 'superpremium' vodka market is a big scam, this one is actually worth the price.

Gin: No competition to me--Plymouth. Make your favorite martini with it and you'll see.

Beer: I've never met a porter I didn't like.

Cognac: Remy Martin 1738. I don't particularly care for cognac, but on those rare occasions my father-in-law wants something after dinner, this one does the trick. Good stuff.

Interesting question. I'll give it a shot.

Rum - Mount Gay Sugar Cane Brandy from Barbados

Gin - Beefeater's or Bombay, both in the regular variety.

Cognac - Remy Martin XO, Courvossier VSOP

Scotch - The Balvenie 15-yr single-barrel

Beer - Bass Ale, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Yuengling Traditional Lager, plain old Budweiser, lots of good beers.

I don't care for vodka or tequila. I enjoy red wines, but I don't know much about them. About once every decade, I enjoy a glass of Pernod.

This is really a big question. confused.gif

Tim

Rum - Rum is on my list of gotta get out and try new stuff. Right now, I guess it would have to be Cruzan Single Barrel Estate Rum (but that Cabot Gary was talking about has my attention.)

Gin - Tanqueray #10 (though again, would love to try Junipero)

Cognac - Don't drink much Cognac, I suppose any of the mainstream VSOPs. Wouldn't go the extra nickle for the XO at this point.

Tequila - Espolon Anejo. For me, this is just a wonderful Tequila. I've tried a lot of the mainstream brands (Patron, Tres, Jose etc) and Espolon beats 'em all. I'm sure there are Mexican only or high end stuff that crushes it but I haven't seen them.

Vodka - Grey Goose. Although the goal of Vodka seems to be the removal of all taste so......

Beer - Foster's Lager for a commercial. We have several micro breweries around here that all have great beer.

Ken

Rum: I would have to say Gosling's Black Seal.

Tequila: I have not had many Tequila's but have to go with the standard Jose Cuervo here. I just recently started to enjoy the taste of Tequila...so give me time friends yum.gif

Vodka: Honestly...Vodka is Vodka...I have had quite a variety of vodka and it doesn't excite me, and it's all the same.

Gin: No experience here.

Beer: Corona Extra with lime hands down.

Cognac: Can't get into it.

Scotch: It all tatses like bark.

Rum: Ron Zacapa 23 as of now, but I have an Appleton estate 21 on it's way to me as we speak. There are some nice rums out there. I hear a Pyrat 23 year cask strength is trully amazing. At $200+ a bottle it best be!

Tequila: Wow, too many favs to describe, but here are my top ones off the top of my head. Heradura Seleccion Suprema, Don Fulano Imperial, Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia, Porfidio Single Barrel anejo, Rey Sol, El Tesoro Paradiso.

Vodka: Stoli Elit though I do like chopin and for a flavored vodka I LOVE Hangar One mandarin.

Gin: Anchor Junipero. I like Old Raj too.

Beer: If I had to pick one, Guinness

Cognac: Not too familiar with cognacs to put up a favorite, but I would love to try a snifter full of Louis XIII!

Single Malt Scotch: Macallan 25 (i know its whiskey, but its not bourbon so..)

RUM : El Dorado 15yo from Guyana. Enchanting Demerara sweetness.

COGNAC : varies. At the moment I´m enjoying Chateau Fontpinot, Grande Champagne. Incidentally, my limited experience tells me that when it comes to stuff older than 25 years, Cognac almost always outclasses. whisk(e)y.

BEER : traditional Anchor Steam. Fritz Maytag never lets you down.

WHISKY : Balvenie 15yo single barrel. Moderately peated and no influence from sherry cask. Scotch as it should be.

I´m afraid that I´ve find Gin to be repulsive and I´m not sure if I´ve ever tried Tequila other than as a base ingredient in drinks. blush.gif

Rum: I really don't drink rum. The best I've had would probably be Matusalem Gran Reserva, but I haven't explored much in the aged rum category.

Tequila: Aaahh, my favorite liquor. I don't drink anejos. If I want to taste oak I'll have some bourbon. For reposados, Casa Noble is my favorite. As far as blancos, my top pick is El Tesoro Platinum (or maybe Casa Noble Crystal). Whether I prefer reposado or blanco really just depends on my mood at the time.

Vodka: Pearl is my top choice, but lately I've been buying either Kutskova or Viking Fjord since they're so inexpensive. Both are incredibly good for the price.

Gin: Tanqueray No. Ten is my favorite, but I don't buy it often because it's too expensive. I just go with Beefeater since it's cheaper and damn good too.

Beer: I like alot of different styles of beer, again depending on the mood I'm in. I like IPAs, Porters, Oatmeal Stouts, and American Pale Ales mostly, but I also like some Barleywines, Irish Dry Stouts, Pumpkin Ales, and Oktoberfests.

Along with bourbon, that's what I drink.

Let's see here.

Cognac: Most of the grandes marques are crap. Kelt VSOP is OK. Look for small, single-distillers. If you get the wines of Robert Kacher Selections (an importer), you may be able to get Paul Giraud, which is pretty good. Not a lot of QPR here.

Armagnac: Laubade and Darroze are the best, and you pay for them. If you live in a big city, you can often get closeouts on smaller producers.

Marc/Grappa: Not a lot of marc imported now, but some dusty old bottles available. For grappa, Inga is a nice, affordable line of grappa--the Nebbiolo is particularly expressive, like walking through a pine forest full of mushrooms. For a bit more money, I just opened a bottle of the Mastroberardino Grappa di Taurasi--extremely smooth, tasting almost like a great, unwooded sauvignon blanc wine.

Other: Bassano's unwooded and wooded Acquavite de Uve are very nice.

Fruit spirits: Trimbach rules the way here with their Alsatian fruit eau-de-vie, if you're looking for nationally-available. In the Northwest, there are some small guys doing fruit spirits (Clear Creek, Koenig, etc) which are usually pretty good and expressive.

Rum: For aged, look to Saint James from Martinique. Zacapa Centenario is also very nice. Doorly's is interesting (finished in sherry casks). I actually prefer Barbancourt 8 to Barbancourt 15. For white, there are some new ones from Martinique coming in that I haven't yet tasted. Matusalem white is very good for Mojitos and 'ti-punches.

Gin: I use Bombay white for everyday drinking. I like the juniper. Anchor Distilling's Junipero is the higher-end category killer for me, but I like a hard, juniper-y gin.

Vodka: I don't believe in vodka. I keep a bottle of regular Hangar One around because I think it's geeky (10% viognier must), but I don't think I've hit it in over a year.

Tequila: Cazadores is now available widely in this country. It's very nice, taken with a dash of water. Tonala is very nice as well. I have a bottle of Tonala Reserva Especial, but I haven't cracked it yet.

Vermouth: Vya, only Vya. Use less than you would of others.

Beer: The one I always get wistful for (from university days) is Ipswich ale. Bright, complex, lowish in alcohol, hoppy enough to refresh. But I like a lot of stuff, though I shy away from drinking the high-alcohol ones; I admire the craftsmanship, but I'd rather drink a complex, low-alcohol brew.

Wine: I'm in the biz.

Well, here goes - this really shows my limited drinking experiences...

Cognac: never tried it

Armagnac: never heard of iy blush.gif

Marc/Grappa: never heard of it

Other: Kahlua - love the stuff - chocolate milk shakes with punch grin.gif

Fruit spirits: not sure what these are

Rum: Bacardi Rum. Used to drink Aussie Bundaberg Rum, but made myself so sick on it once that I can't stand it now.

Gin: Can't stand

Vodka: 42 Below Honey flavoured Vodka

Tequila: don't drink

Vermouth: don't drink

Beer: the taste makes me gag - same as when I eat kidney or brussel sprouts puke.gif

Wine: some reds, and definately any port...particularly Grant Burge or Barros 10yo yum.gif

Great answer, Cameron. smile.gif

Here is mine:

Cognac: I haven't drunk any in many years.

Rum: I prefer my own complex blends which always use a large amount of Demerara.

Alcool Blanc: I used to like the Alsatian wild raspberry one.

Tequila: I've had little experience with it. I'd like to know more about it.

Gin: I used to like, and still do, Beefeater.

Marc/Grappa: I used to like marc de Bourgogne many years ago, but I find the taste a bit much for me today.

Vodka (I liked Jake's answer here): I occasionally drink some straight. I like Polish rye vodkas the best.

Beer: how much time ya got? Fave style is probably Imperial Russian Stout. After that, English ale, cask-conditioned preferably, preferably in London.

Wine: Champagne first, Chablis second with a sneaking liking for good Muscadet (Jake what say you here?). I hardly know the good Burgundies white or red never mind the Bordeaux'. I like good Beaujolais, especially Morgon and Brouilly - and Fleurie. In California, again I have relatively little (focused) experience but I like Mayacamus Vineyards' reds a lot (especially the Cabs from the 1970's), and any good old vine Zinfandel.

Gary

Of course, cask-conditioned bitter is the ne plus ultra of the beer world, but I live in America, so I'm shut out.

You know, I sort of figured you for a muscadet type, Gary. I buy, drink, and age copious quantities of the stuff. The best muscadets (from producers such as Louvetrie, Pepiere, and Luneau-Papin) will age gracefully for ten to twenty-years, always fresh and oyster shell-tasting. Love that acid.

I love Champagne and chablis as well, though I can afford a lot more muscadet. My first vinous loves are the chenin blancs of the Loire and Austrian gruner veltliner and riesling. And, obviously, I've developed quite a liking for South African wine, since, well, I sell it.

Thanks, we share some things in common on the wine side I see. But I never knew Muscadet aged well!

Ah yes, a town on the Loire, a good bracing Muscadet or chenin blanc "maison" with a poached zander fish, a walk on blue-cobblestoned pavements after, the milky light reflecting off the river, the cool mist..

Gary

My $0.02:

Cognac: I've only had Guy Lhéraud VSOP Petite Champagne - but I liked it a lot. I recently picked up a bottle of Pierre Ferrand Reserve Grande Champagne - I'm looking forward to opening it soon.

Armagnac: I've had the Domaine Le Basque Hors d'Âge (bottled 2004) and 1982 vintage (bottled 2005). Superb, and less expensive than Darroze - but I'll probably spring for a Darroze at some point if only for comparison purposes.

Rum: I've had Hallmark of St. James 25yo Demerara. Very smoky, with the sweetness coming through later. It seems whiskey-like to me in some ways. Also, Sailor Jerry's Spiced Navy Rum is quite good neat - almost too drinkable. falling.gif

Pastis: Herbsaint is all I've tried - but I like it whether it's a dash or two in a Sazerac, or mixed with some sugar and cold water.

Beer: Chimay Grande Reserve. Expensive for beer, but worth every penny.

Tequila: I wasn't overly impressed with Cuervo Gold. Fortunately, it was just a 50 ml mini. I'm not so sure I want to explore this aisle, unless I can find minis of other brands.

Oooh, forgot Pastis. Herbsaint for Sazeracs (because it's cheap and traditional). For drinking, I love Henri Bardouin (HB)--very complex and not as sweet. In a similar vein, Arak al Massaya from Lebanon is very pretty, drier, and quite food-friendly when watered in the normal way.

Jake,

I also am developing a taste for the wines of South Africa, the Stellenbosch region in particular. Unfortunately there are relatively few available here in KY, outside of Grahm Beck, Porcupine Ridge and Goats du Roam. What are some of the better regions of South Africa in your opinion, and could you suggest a few reds that might be readily available in the states? Thanks toast.gif

Well, the wines I import are South African, so I'm biased. We are not yet distributed in KY, though if you can get to a shop in WV or VA, our wines are distributed there (no penetration, but we could route special orders).

The two main regions for SA wine imported to the states are Stellenbosch and Paarl. Stellenbosch is hopelessly complicated; there are very warm and very cool sites within the origin area, plus a lot of producers take advantage of a loophole to source grapes from Durbanville and other areas for wines that still carry a Stellenbosch appelation. Virtually all of the wines we carry from Stellenbosch are estate wines--that is, coming from a single farm. The rest come from at most two vineyard sites, both of which are in similar-climate areas of Stellenbosch. Inside Stellenbosch are some incredible terroirs, particularly for merlot, chardonnay, and Bordeaux-style blends.

Paarl is slightly easier, if only because the soil profiles are a little more homogeneous. Soils tend to be broken, high-gravel blended soils (primarily gravel-clay with some gravel-shale). Paarl tends to be hot and windy, which leads to thicker skins and roasted aromatics for the reds. In particular, this can be a problem for Cabernet Sauvignon, which is predisposed to thick skins anyway. We bring in two Cabernets from Paarl, one that is in the rustic style and is blended with a bit of Cab Franc, and the other that is fermented whole-berry, to soften tannin and bring out more of the lush fruit, coffee, and mineral aspects of Paarl cab. Paarl is famous for syrah/shiraz, though high alcohols can be a problem, as can overextraction, and like most everywhere in the world, overwooding.

Other important areas for SA wine production are:

Durbanville--cooler climate, but few farms trying to make fine wine.

Elgin--like Oregon, used to be apple country, fine pinot noir and Alsatian varieties in particular.

Walker Bay--Elgin-like climate but windier. Ripeness can be a problem for poorly-chosen sites. Primarily pinot noir and chardonnay.

Constantia--One of the oldest regions. Nearer to Cape Town, best for sweet wines (including the world-famous Vin de Constance), some semillon and sauvignon blanc.

I am going to have to take a stab at this though many of the categories are not well known to me. Very narrow experience.

Rum: I have a Bacardi 8 year old open. I haven't had much of this, just a pour or two. Hmm. Sweet, syrupy, nice. Back to bourbon.

I also have a Habana Club 8 yo. I think Gary said that the Habana Rums have a funky taste. This isn't the one he recommended but it was the one on the shelf that caught my eye. I think I like this better than the Bacardi 8 yo. That is about it for Rum for me. Nice. Not as interesting as whiskey, at least what I have had.

Cognac: I have only had Remy Martin VSOP and that quite a while ago. I have been meaning to get some. I liked it.

Brandy: I have two open now. Both made here in Japan by Nikka. Dompierre VSOP grape brandy and Nikka Apple Brandy VSOP. I like both. Sweet with the flavor of the fruit coming through. The Apple Brandy is particularly nice. The Domierre VO comes in great big four liter plastic bottles, cheap. I haven't had it.

Absinthe: I have only had one. Absente. 55% abv made in France. Liquorish! Like it. Used it in a couple of Sazaracs. It dominates the other ingredients. Last time I rinsed the glass with it and then drank it off. The Liquorish was then less apparent in the mixed drink, I had blocked the sensors for that scent...

Gin: I have only ever had Beefeaters. I don't see much reason to change. Good stuff when that is what I am in the mood for.

Wine: Nasty stuff. How can you drink it? Well, that is at least partially tongue in cheek. But seriously, too many times my wine drinking friends have pushed a glass into my hands saying, "This is really good, you will like this." Vinegar laced with tannic acid burns its way down my throat. In my view, wine should be smoother than, say, Booker's or OGD 114 neat. The wines I like tend to be light fruity dessert wines. I do like Port and Madeira.

Tequila: I like what I have had. Mostly Silvers. I have Scorpion and Herradura Silver now, both open.

Vodka: I like Jake's answer, too. I have two bottles now, Fighting Cock 103 and Absolute 80 proof. I tried them head to head and liked the Fighting Cock better. Probably because of the higher proof. Why do people keep insisting that Vodka has no taste? It tastes like alcohol. "Give him a glass of straight vodka, he'll think it is water! Ha!" It wouldn't fool me. Vodka makes a dandy cleaning fluid.

Beer: Japanese beer is quite nice, but I have gotten a bit bored with it. Sapporo Black Label is good, it has a nice yeasty taste to it. Yebisu is a 100% malt beer and I like it very much. Suntory Premium Malts is new and good. I think it is hoppier that most Japanese beer. I had a few IPAs in the States this year and really liked them. They are very hard to find here in Japan. Of course, Guinness is the best. The beer at the Brew Pub in MaCall ID is great. Two (or was it three?) knocked me on my butt.

I should write about Sake and Shochu, but I don't really know them well. I tend to only drink Sake around New Year's.

Ed

OK, here's my stab at this thing:

Tequila: 1921 Single Barrel Reposado. Great balance of agave and oak.

Mezcal: Del Maguay Minero. Basicly a high quality blanco. Tastes like burnt lemon and honey. A bit smokey.

Gin: Tanqueray 10. Like gin flavours on steriods. I have a shot when I go to the Keg restaurant.

Rum: Santa Theresa 1796. Herbacious!

Brandy/Cognac/Armanac: Probably would like to get into Armanac if I could. Single distilled to keep in alot of the flavour...

Vodka: No interest.

RUM - Malibu but it must be in a Mango Boba smoothie. It's California / Little Saigon but oh so tasty on a hot day!

VODKA - Anything really. It all tastes the same to me. If somebody is buying though it's a Ketel One with soda.

BRANDY - I only drink it mixed so Christian Brothers or E & J with Barqs Root Beer. Open a can of Barqs, drink a third of the way down, and fill with Brandy. Surprisingly good!

TEQUILA - Cazadores. Nothing special.

SCOTCH - Haven't really tried all that many but I enjoyed Glen Moray Single Malt before I moved to bourbon.

BEER - Stone Brewery IPA, Anchor Steam Beer, Chamay and my comfort beer, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Bourbon - Elmer T. Lee

bowdown.gif God bless Elmer!

Rum: Bacardi for mixing with sodas. Ten Cane for more serious cocktails.

Cognac: Remy Martin VSOP or Hine, depending on my mood..

Brandy: Gallo for most uses. Osbourne Spanish brandy for special drinks like my Holiday favorite: brandied port.

Gin: Not for me, but my wife likes Beefeaters.

Wine: Like to drink a wide variety: reds / whites / roses / fortified / dessert / sparkling / ice / etc.

Vodka: All vodkas are basically the same ---- I usually by a "recognized brand" for the 'vodka snobs' but base it on what's on sale.

Beer: Not much any more. When I do it is usually Guiness stout or Heiniken.

Scotch: Highland park or Laiphraoig in single malts. Chivas in the blends.

Tequila: Jose Cuervo Gold for mixing; Patron Silver for sipping

Bourbon: all the usual suspects... recently into Weller Centennial

Rum: Ten Cane for more serious cocktails.

I just tried 10 Cane. I'm not saying I don't like it but it just didn't taste like rum to me. Kinda had an almost barky flavor. What kind of cocktails do you make with it?

Rum: Don't drink it. But if I did Bacardi dark which I have tried before. 22.gif

Cognac: Never had it. 22.gif

Brandy: Never had it. 22.gif

Gin: Never had it. 22.gif

Wine: Merlot drinking.gif

Vodka: Why? 27.gif

Beer: Kronenborg toast.gif, Foster's bitter, Warsteiner, Duvall

Scotch: Trying to avoid. Don't want to get 'hooked' on this as it might get expensive. smil41df29a15fb35.gif

Tequila: Don't like it puke.gif

Bourbon: I love Elmer T. Lee, Elijah Craig 12 and 18, Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit, Blanton's (but have to be in the mood for it), Eagle Rare 10. bowdown.gif

Rye: Haven't tried it but would like to taste Wild Turkey as my first. bandit.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.