What can't be found in Atlanta

Chaz7
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My brother-in-law is coming out to Colorado for Christmas. I want to get him a bottle of something NOT available in Atlanta, GA. Now, being in Colorado I am not looking for KY only bottles (4roses SB, AAA 10 yr, VOB, etc.)but something that's hard to find down there. Would Buffalo Trace fit the (mash) bill? Or something less obvious, like Weller Antique? I would like to be under $25.00, so GTS won't really work. Looking for some good ideas, which with this group should be in abundence. Chaz.

Buffalo Trace is not available in Atlanta. Others that come to mind (that you didn't name) are mostly more money (Stagg and Saz are things I hunt out-of-state). Elmer T. Lee is not available. Rittenhouse, if he likes rye is another bargain we can't get. That's really all that comes to mind right now in the $25 category.

The Weller Antique 107 is common here.

BTW, VOB 90 is here, if you want to ask him to bring something.

Bob

...BTW, VOB 90 is here, if you want to ask him to bring something.

Bob

I like the way you think Bob! I think I'll get him Buffalo Trace; It's $18.00, and darn good at that. Elmer T. Lee is one I figured would be everywhere. I may splurge ($23.00) although BT is getting a lot of good press.

Get one of each for yourself, taste, then get him the one you think is best.

Not sure which has a wider distribution, BT or ETL. But neither is handy here.

Bob

I'd have to say ETL is more widely distributed for the simple fact that I can get it in Missouri but not BT.

It looks like Buffalo Trace. I just wanted to make sure there was nothing obvious I was missing. I had even thought about WT "Rusty's" reserve 101, since it's slowly disappearing, but I think BT is a lot better, and it sounds like he won't find it there.

I went to Atlanta several times, thinking I should be able to find almost anything. That was the way I remembered Atlanta from my college days. But I could hardly find squat.

Buffalo Trace or Elmer T. Lee should do the trick.

Tim

There's still a fair amount of RR 101 in Atlanta, enough so that I've decided my bunker is stocked, and I'm giving a couple for holiday hosts.

Bob

I don't like the way this sounds. I'll be moving back to New Orleans soon. Anyone know if Buffalo Trace bourbons like Elmer T Lee can be found around there? I've kinda developed a taste for Eagle Rare SB and Elmer T Lee over the last month and a half. That'd be a shame if I couldn't get my fix down there.

Okay, I go to school in Lafayette, LA so here's what I know:

Buffalo Trace should be available there, my local liquor store says they can get it in, but they don't normally carry it. The same distributor carries Elmer T and ER SB so those, while also not on their shelves, should be attainable.

I'm not sure if the distributor in NO has been rebuilt yet, but their location in Lafayette is currently operating as the state headquarters for now. I'm guessing that it will take the stores a while to build stock back up.

According to Ken Weber (in the Sazerac thread)

I believe there is a store called Hokus Pocus that carries a large collection of bourbons in either Lafayette or Shreveport. They may have it.

Ken

Hope this helps.

Ken

Okay, I go to school in Lafayette, LA so here's what I know:

Buffalo Trace should be available there, my local liquor store says they can get it in, but they don't normally carry it. The same distributor carries Elmer T and ER SB so those, while also not on their shelves, should be attainable.

I'm not sure if the distributor in NO has been rebuilt yet, but their location in Lafayette is currently operating as the state headquarters for now. I'm guessing that it will take the stores a while to build stock back up.

Thanks for the insight. I don't know if the distributors were damaged by the storm. I live in uptown New Orleans. My place is fine and most restaurants and stores are back up and running. West of the city in Metarie and Kenner, also the West Bank, are all busting at the seems with activity. So it's not total devastation.

It'd be great if I could get them to special order inventory of what I like, if nothing else. Hmmm...come to think of it, one of my buddy's wife works for a distributor in the area. I'll ask him to ask her for info. I'll post back here what I find. I'm sure someone else is in New Orleans and would like to know what the state of things are.

I'd have to say ETL is more widely distributed for the simple fact that I can get it in Missouri but not BT.

I hate to shoot your theory down, but up here, two states North of you, the opposite is true. Buffalo Trace aplenty, but no Elmer T. Lee anywhere. cry.gif

I'll be moving back to New Orleans soon. Anyone know if Buffalo Trace bourbons like Elmer T Lee can be found around there?

Given that Buffalo Trace's parent company is based in New Orleans, it would be a pretty sad irony if its products were not available there.

I hate to shoot your theory down, but up here, two states North of you, the opposite is true. Buffalo Trace aplenty, but no Elmer T. Lee anywhere. cry.gif

Then you are more fortunate than Dane, Mike (IMO)

Ken

I'll be moving back to New Orleans soon. Anyone know if Buffalo Trace bourbons like Elmer T Lee can be found around there?

Given that Buffalo Trace's parent company is based in New Orleans, it would be a pretty sad irony if its products were not available there.

Heh, I just realized this. I've certainly seen Blantons everywhere. But I have not seen others like the ones I mentioned. On a side note, I saw their 18yo Rye Whiskey in BevMo yesterday.

Sort of the opposite here in NC. We have plenty of Blanton's, ETL and ER10 but not Buffalo Trace. That suits me fine since ETL makes a tremendous everyday pour. For the 'celebration bourbons' I can wait until I go to Kentucky to get them since I have family there- albeit they are in a dry county! toast.gif

Then you are more fortunate than Dane, Mike (IMO)

Ken

I'm inclined to agree. I was just lamenting the unavailability of ETL (which I did manage to mail order a few of what Binny's selected and had bottled). I guess if I had to choose, especially for the price, Buffalo Trace would have to be my choice.

You can find nearly all of our bourbons at Martin's Wine Cellar in New Orleans. They should also carry our flagship bourbon.

Ken

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.