Bourbon sore throat/cold remedy?

hokiedave92
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Does anyone have the recipe for a sore throat remedy that uses bourbon? I seem to recall one that uses bourbon, honey, cider vinegar amd maybe lemon juice, but can't find it anywhere.

Thanks,

Dave

When I come down with a cold or the flu, my wife will always mix me up what she calls "the cure." It's just hot water, lemon juice, honey, and bourbon, but is tremendously soothing on a sore/scratchy throat (tasty too!). I like it made with GTS. grin.gif

Did I mention it's analgesic effects? lol.gif

Are there any Beverly Hillbillies fans out there? This reminds me of one of my favotite episodes.

The California doctors had heard that Granny Clampett had a sure fire cure for the common cold, so they had come to investigate. All through the time of the show, they asked and begged and wheedled Granny for her secret, but she wouldn't tell.

Finally, one of them asked Jed about it. Yes, Granny had a cure and, yes, it always worked. He gave them a sample and it was just Granny's homemade moonshine. They asked Jed how it worked. "Well, you take a dose of Granny's remedy and you go to bed. Then, in a week or ten days, your cold is gone."

wink.giflaugh.gifsmirk.gifsmile.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gif

Tim

It's pretty simple Dave. Get a coffee mug, put in about a tablespoon of honey, squeeze a slice of lemon into it, add a shot or two or three of bourbon, and fill it up with boiling water. Be sure to stir before drinking.

This is the time of year that our lemon tree typically has a few hundred beautifully ripe lemons on it too. Pulling a lemon right off the tree and using it in this recipe really makes a big difference in the flavor. Suddenly, I feel like I might be coming down with something. grin.gif

My understanding of this excellent cold remedy is to make up a thermos of it, hang your hat on the bedpost and take to bed, drink from the thermos until you see two hats, go to sleep, and when you awaken, your sore throat will be gone. smile.gif

Are there any Beverly Hillbillies fans out there? This reminds me of one of my favotite episodes.

One of my favorites as well, along with the time (Dr.) Granny was going to cure Mr. Drysdale of stammering by lopping off excess tongue with hedge shears; the hippies being impressed that Granny smoked crawdads; General Grant and the battle of the Culpepper Plantation; and, well, I could go on and on.

Jeff

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.