Vat, Mix or Marry?

bluesbassdad
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is something of a continuation of my recent post regarding adding Ezra B 15 y/o to WT 101.

I wrote that the charred wood taste of the Ezra B dominated even though the ratio was a few drops to a hefty shot. However, I didn't finish the glass that night. I placed a coaster over the mouth of the glass and left it until the next day. When I tasted it again, the taste of the WT was apparent -- quite a change in 24 hours.

I can imagine a few explanations, such as the following:

[*]My taster was functioning differently 24 hours later.

[*]Evaporation changed the flavor profile and/or the alcohol content.

[*]The flavor elements interacted in a way that changed the perceived flavor profile.

Regarding the third item, I recall from my pipe-smoking days that a custom blend always changed significantly during the first couple of days. My tobacconist friends called this phenomenon "marrying". Sometimes the changes seemed to continue as long as a week. Does anyone have experience on this point in regard to whisk(e)y?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I suspect it was a mix of all three, but I've certainly experienced #1. Whether because of food I've consumed, fluctuations in the health of my nose and throat, or the tides, I've been back to bottles 24 hours later looking for something specific I got the night before, and not found it. Have found other things, though.

Bob

The maturation effects of marrying different whiskeys, wherein time usually works to the advantage of the blend, is the whole basis of my ongoing experiments in the field. Like Arthur Lee of the rock group Love sang, "TIME!".

Gary

Thanks for that correction, it was the Chambers Bros. song I was recalling. Great era, great bands, easy to confuse them.

Gary

Tim, Arthur Brown sang "Fire". "I AM THE GOD OF HELLFIRE! AND I BRING YOU FIRE!" He's actually known as The Crazy World of Arthur Brown.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.