Musky Buffalo Trace

troyce
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

For the last couple of years, Buffalo Trace has been one of my " go to " bourbons; hard to match for an every day pour and in my top five when price is a consideration. Two of the last five bottles I've tasted have had a distinct musky taste; like that of a corked wine . Still very drinkable, but not of the caliber of past bottles. Has anyone else run into this? I'm not giving up yet on the brand yet but something isnt right.

I bought a bottle through Binny's that claims to be a single barrel, it is terrible. I have a hard time drinking it in fact. Nothing like the bottles I tasted in Kentucky.

I ran into this years ago with my first few bottles of BT. In fact, it was so bad that I had all but written off the brand completely. Fortunately the problem seemes to have been corrected. Maybe there are still some of the musty barrels in their inventory, but I have a hard time believing anyone would choose such a barrel for a special bottling. Maybe something happend to this whiskey between barrel and bottle?

Jim,

Since we use a cork stopper, we do rarely experience cork taint. Tell you what, buy another bottle from Binny's and send me your address (kweber@buffalotrace.com) and I will send you a check. Just let me know how much it is and I will send the check before the Binny's bottle arrives. Also, I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

Ken

Ken,

Thanks for the offer, but it's not necessary; I'll stick with BT, other BT products, anyway. The two bottles in question were purchased at different times, from retailers in east Tennessee and the Cincinnati area.

thanks again,

Jim

Jim,

Since we use a cork stopper, we do rarely experience cork taint. Tell you what, buy another bottle from Binny's and send me your address (kweber@buffalotrace.com) and I will send you a check. Just let me know how much it is and I will send the check before the Binny's bottle arrives. Also, I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

Ken

Ken rocks.

Ummmmm....Ken....I had a bad bottle of....uhhh...William Larue Weller....and....uhhh....if you go ahead and send me a bottle then we'll be cool....uhhh...yeah! grin.gif

Seriously though, Ken's response is just another reason why I LOVE BUFFALO TRACE!

I agree. I've had the odd musty bottle from more than one distillery. It happens. My solution is to use it for cocktails or one of my whiskey blends and move on. Recently I used some 2005 Birthday Bourbon I felt was musky (possibly from the cork, but I 'm not sure) and combined it with a bottle of Woodford that also seemed "damp cardboard"-tasting almost like in beer oxidation. I then added to these a number of mid-shelf products including Beam Black and Grandad Bonded which considerably "took up" the must odour and yet were improved by being blended with better (although not perfect) whiskeys. Then I added more whiskey, some good Trace (I've never had problems with Buffalo Trace) and one or two other whiskies, I think some Jack Single Barrel. The result is a complex American straight whiskey of quality, and the must is almost gone. I view this as win-win. I realize not everyone wants to blend or has a large enough range to do so, but it is worth considering.

Gary

Thankee Sir and the proof is in the pudding and you must taste the result. If not this Sampler upcoming, then at KBF '06 I trust. smile.gif

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all, I depart soon for a holiday to a Caribbean location wherein I hope to locate unusual bourbons and will report well and truly in due time. smile.gif

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.