How long would your stash last?

kbuzbee
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Another member and I were discussing this today. He mentioned that if he were unable to buy another bottle, he'd be fine for 10 years. I estimate I'm not in as good a shape. So the question can be looked at from several perspectives. A new prohibition is passed OR distilleries start being able to sell everything they make overseas at 10X price so they do not bother selling domestically or whatever. Regardless you can't buy (or can't afford to buy) any more alcohol as of this afternoon.

Yes, I know, if we knew this was coming we'd all stock up and if it happened moonshining would supplement some stocks and you could find Wild Turkey on ebay for $1000 a bottle but.... the question is straight up. Based on your consumption (or your modified consumption) how long would what you have today last you??

At my usual rate I'd be good for 1 1/2 years. BUT if I knew I had no more Bourbon (or anything else) coming in I would likely slow down and that would extend it to 4 or more years.

Ken

I don't really stockpile much, so I'd only be good for about a year on Bourbon. I could make my Bourbon and Scotch together last about 2.

Like asking... how do you prepare for a real disaster! How much whiskey should you have in your cellar?

After I brought home a couple more bottles yesterday my wife said, "Thats it!" no more bottles for all of 2006! I said, "I should have them gone in a couple months or less".

Thing is that many of mine taste similar now and I want to get a regular old bottle of seven year old Jim Beam for the different taste that it has... that SWEET taste.

I fear my wife will kill me just for buying the 14 dollar bottle.

I don't know how much a guy needs to have in his stash. Its part of the disease to collect stuff. I used to have it with some other collectables.

I could probably be happy with One Bottle as long as there was no fear it was going to be empty by the end of the night LOL.....

But right now I seem to be reverting to my old disease of collecting and I have several half drank bottles.

I was drinking Evan Williams Single Barrel yesterday and it was really good neat. Later for drinks after I figured I'd kick it down to the seven year old black label Evan Williams because after feeling it, I don't need to drink the good stuff anymore.

So today I had the Jim Beam Black Label neat and darn it was awesome too! There is about a ten dollar difference between Jim Beam Black and Evan Williams Single Barrel. Today I wouldn't have noticed it.

I need a bigger house, thats all there is to it. Our kitchen is way too small. We don't have a bar. If you have the cabinet space and can store the stuff, more power to you!

I looked on the net and the Evan Williams Single Barrel can be gotten for 20 bucks on the net but there is shipping. Thats a pretty good deal isn't it?

So back to the question,

I have a half a bottle of four bourbons so I figure at 2 drinks a day thats a month right?

185 bottles, assume 2/3rds full on average = 122.1 bottles equivalent.

25.36 shots per bottle times 122.1 = 3096.456 shots

2 shots per drink = 1548.228 drinks

3 drinks per week = 516.076 weeks

516.076 weeks = 9 years, 11 months, 3 days, 10 hours, 57 minutes and 24.92 seconds from..............

NOW.

That is providing I won't be entertaining any of you folks who ran out after the first few years toast.gif

3 drinks per week =

smilielol.gifsmilielol.gifsmilielol.gif

Yeah, that's me.

2 to 3 drinks per day is more like it.

My math has me running out sometime between opening day and the Derby.

I have 3 open bottles now, nothing in the stockpile. That makes 2 months if I really cut back! All this talk of not being able to buy more makes me depressed, can we stop now please!!!

Tim toast.gif

I probably average 1 bottle a month(less during the semster and more during breaks), which puts me around 12 years or so currently.

I am unable to calculate this number. If I did so, and my wife found out the answer, I would not be allowed to buy bourbon for awhile. Let's just say I have enough to last me a ridiculous amount of time. But as I live in San Francisco, I have to be prepared for the Big One...right? Back me up here...!

Looking back at my answer I realized that I still do much of my drinking at bars or I supplement my bourbon drinking with beer/wine/other.

So, if nothing was available from those sources unless I modify my drinking habits it would be more like 6 years instead of 12, but I don't like drinking alone much so my consumption at home might not go up enough to account for all that I drink while out(and I'm not inviting every Tom, Dick and Harry over and giving them free drinks...though there may be some Jane's and Sally's grin.gif) I gonna say I'll probably split the difference and take a year off to account for the occasional tipple with friends...that leaves the final number at 8 years.

See Tim, I would go the other way and say if it was 12 years but only six if you could go out to the bar, I'd take the year off your 6 to say it's really five. But then, maybe some of your friends will bring thing to sample as well so you might got to 7....

AVB - Love the math! That was perfect. My pouring is not nearly as precise.

Yes, Robby, the big one is coming. Stock up NOW. (and cushion them in foam packing!)

All I know is I need to add more redundancy. Planning ensures future success!

Ken

Got 2 more bottles for Xmas so add another 10 weeks to the total. Puts me over 10 years now! WooHoo! I gotta enjoy it now 'cause New Years will knock it back down.

Til exactly five minutes before the end of my life. It takes that long to write the goodbye note and load the shotgun (life without bourbon?)....

Lets see....45 bottles (including my 2 rye's and 1 Bernhiem Wheat)at 2 pours a night, probably 4 nights a week....

I'm GONNA GO STOCK UP!!!!!!!!!!! toast.gif

I added several WT 101 Ryes last week, but one disappeared drink.gif DARN-IT! lol.gif

That's one great rye though.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

I am unable to calculate this number. If I did so, and my wife found out the answer, I would not be allowed to buy bourbon for awhile.

I'll ditto that! If my wife counted how much I REALLY have, I wouldn't be buying anything for a LONG time. smile.gif

Using AVB's number of shots per bottle, I could go about 2.5 years on bourbon, about 3 years if you count the "other" in my cabinet. I only drink 2 nights per week and usually have 2 drinks or less.

Jay

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.