Pappy 23 Dec. 2005 Release - Frankfort Bottling

BourbonJoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I also got some raised eyebrows when the register rang up mine. She said that nobody ever bought anything that expensive by the bottle except champagne. I told her this was better than champagne. She remarked, "it better be for your sake".....while staring at the wedding ring on my left hand.

When my buddy and I purchased ours at a store in College Park, MD (near the University), a young Terp was manning the register. He clearly didn't know what we were asking about, and the manager quickly took over and rang us up. When the total for our 6 bottles appeared on the display, the kid's eyes bugged out, and he took off his ball cap and groaned out, "Duuuuuuuuuuuude......".

Classic.

I just can't bring myself to buy this as much as I really want it. Someone please tell me that if I don't buy it I'm a big idiot so I won't regret it later.

I just can't bring myself to buy this as much as I really want it. Someone please tell me that if I don't buy it I'm a big idiot so I won't regret it later.

I feel the same as you, but I recently got a 10% raise at my job because I threatened to leave and in doing so make a much smaller firm nearby a competitor - they didn't like the thought so obliged; therefore I am picking up a bottle this week, tonite perhaps. I probably will not open it anytime soon, but just couldn't have it on my mind any longer!!

When I am in a liquor store glaring at a $75+ bottle of anything or a click away from making that large online order, be it bourbon, scotch, tequila, rum, etc. I always run through so many things and scenarios and comparisons in my head.

In the end, one though always makes me buy without regret

.....you only live once......and who knows when that will end........

So, I say get the Pappy 23 and enjoy! I am half done with my bottle and it's terrific!

Tim, I understand where you are coming from. I had resigned myself to the fact that I wasn't going to spend that much for a bottle of Pappy 23 from day one of this obsession. No matter how much I wanted a bottle to fill out the collection it just didn't make sense to me (and I am a notorious impulse buyer). Then one day out of the blue I was in the right eBay store at the right time and the owner had really screwed the pooch in his pricing and now I'm the proud owner of one bottle that I got for about the same price as I paid for my blue wax Hirsch 16 (my second most expensive purchase ever). I seriously doubt I will ever buy another bottle unless history repeats itself. It's great whiskey for sure but I can only keep sewing up the holes in these BVDs so long....

I can't wait for Mardi Gras to get here so I can try this bottle. She's just sitting there all nice and pretty. The worst part is that the liquor store has another one under lock and key. I see it every day, since I now work there. :) I'm thinking of telling them to start writing my checks as store credit. That's where all of it goes anyway.

Well mine came home with me today #A354 is now mine. It took a lot of debating but ultimately my late birth of this obsession has caused me to miss out on a lot of great Whiskey so I just couldn't bare the thought of never tasting this one...

• 4 weeks later...

OK. I finally broke down and picked up a bottle of Pappy 23 yesterday to celebrate the impending arrival of my third child and first son (hopefully in the next few days). Since I'm not a cigar smoker and I wanted to do something special, I figured this was the just the thing. I'll probably save the rest until he can share it with me.

Jay

Congrats Jay. Nothing like a Pappy23 and a new Son.

Joe

Thanks Joe. I'll post again after the fact (hopefully soon!) with my reflections on the taste.

Jay

Got to try some of this at whisky live in London this weekend. Julian and his son Preston were there.

Incredibly lively and clean for such an old Bourbon. Very rich and complex, but I would never have guessed it was 23 years old. Not over oaked in any way.

I thought it was the pick of their whiskies and very very different to their 20 year old and in my opinion much better.

Very expensive but it is an excellent whisky.

• 3 weeks later...

So what's the going price for the 23 these days? We just had a bottle show up at the local distributor for $99. That seems quite a bit lower than the other prices that have been alluded to here.

Craig

So what's the going price for the 23 these days? We just had a bottle show up at the local distributor for $99...

Buy it! Run, don't walk! (Send me the bill -- and the bottle -- if you wish.)

So what's the going price for the 23 these days? We just had a bottle show up at the local distributor for $99. That seems quite a bit lower than the other prices that have been alluded to here.

Craig

Buy one for me.

In Michigan 23 year old Pappy is $250.00 if you can find it. 20 year old Pappy is $100 to $110.

Buy it! Run, don't walk! (Send me the bill -- and the bottle -- if you wish.)

It was too far to run. So I drove. But I got it. I was afraid I had misread the price and it was actually $199. But with tax it came to ~$106. Hope my aunt doesn't accidentally use if for whiskey sours like she did my WL Weller!

Craig

That's a great find! You now have the enviable choice of putting it on eBay and doubling your money, or enjoying a great bourbon at half-price.:cool:

(You didn't, by chance, ask them if they had any more at that price, did you?)

This is a 23 we are talking about??? For 106 :bowdown:

You are sure it is not a 20? Man, must have been mis priced!

The 20 was about 80. And the 12 about 41. This was the first time in about a year I had seen any of the Van Winkle line at this outlet. The 12 used to be about 31 at this place - so 41 seemed high, but looks like I got a buy on the 23. Should I admire it for a while. Or drink it?

Craig

Welcome to the Luckier Than I Ever Thought I'd Be Club Craig. The Pappy 23 I opened at Cliff's house a while back had the same price tag. Clearly both of us benefitted from a pricetag misprint. The only difference between our purchases is that mine was the original Lawrenceburg bottling in green glass and yours is probably the current bottling Julian just put out. Both are outstanding bourbons and very rare indeed. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoyed sharing mine with some fellow Bourbonians.

Well I went back hoping another bottle had appeared on the shelf, but looks like I got the only one. So I will hold onto it for a while as something to look forward to. It's in pretty good company in my bunker, with a few Stagg, some WT 12 year, and a Hirsch 16 blue wax.

Craig

In the end, one though always makes me buy without regret

.....you only live once......and who knows when that will end........

So, I say get the Pappy 23 and enjoy! I am half done with my bottle and it's terrific!

I was in this awesome liquor store in Clifton over the weekend and they had this "on sale" for $210. Driving there I was telling myself I wasn't going to buy it because it's way too much money for a bottle of liquor but the "you only live once" argument got the best of me and I bought it anyway. :) Although I haven't tried it yet I definitely don't regret buying it because I absolutely can't wait to try it. Not sure when I'll open it, definitely after I get and try my bottle of Pappy 20 (Friday, I hope.). I’m thinking after I purchase and move into a house or on my birthday, whichever comes first, but then again I may just one day pop it open and give it a try, after all why spend all that money just to stare at the bottle? (Hehe, I keep taking it out of the pouch to admire it, I wonder if the label will be worn off by the time I do open it.)

• 2 weeks later...

$177 on sale at one store I frequent. Good stuff so you will be missing out if you pass up a bottle.

This past Wednesday I took a road trip to Kentucky. I saw some Pappy 23 at a liquor store a few miles from Buffalo Trace. it was selling for 199.00. Also saw Pappy 20 in Newport, Covington, Frankfort, and Louisville. prices ranged fro 89.00 to 99.00 a bottle. It was even for sale in the gift shop at Buffalo Trace. they had approx. 20 bottles there!

Thomas

Thomas,

I assume that that Pappy 23 for sale about a mile away from Buffalo Trace was at Red Dot, right?

Pappy 20 is not hard to come by in the golden triangle of Kentucky. It's actually quite common.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.