A trip thru Heaven Hill...during shut down

boone
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Gonna give y'all a look inside Heaven Hill...a view that not many have seen... <font color="red"> YET </font>

Heaven Hill, is shut down for inventory and for upgrades...two weeks...Not many have seen what I'm about to post here grin.gif...I will have to post these seperate. I have new photo software and have yet to mess with it to combine pictures etc...

Also, I apologize for the poor quality of these photo's...Not the greatest but not horrible either. Had I given it my full attention (plus wearing my glasses ohgeez.giftongue.gif) would have been a tremendous help grin.gif

Here goes...

There are 5 of us (maintenance) who have fully completed all the technical college courses that were required by Heaven Hill grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif There are a total of 18 maintence in all. Some of the other's are still in the program and will finish soon grin.gif

I guess, we are ready for this new technology skep.gifgrin.gif...Well grin.gifgrin.gif <font color="blue"> BRING IT ON... </font> grin.gifgrin.gif We'll learn Clever.gifClever.gif I've been known to have the maintenance book in hand (while a "laborer" pulls off bottles that need to be rejected) ...They work hard as we figure the problem...Did just that with a new "corker" we installed on B-line last summer...There's no training for such things...You watch the machine run and it will damn near tell you where the problem is grin.gifgrin.gif The book shows the in's and outs grin.gif...for proper operations grin.gif It stresses me to no end to do that but that's how you learn to work on them...No shutting things down and investigate lol.giflol.gif

Some of the equipment that we have is very old---to say the least---Still works but good grief, some of the "rigg's" ya gotta do...Well, that's another story...I've been known to use a rubber band a paper clip and shim some cardboard just to keep a machine running grin.gifgrin.gif and walk away (with finger's crossed grin.gif) to find the proper replacement part ( <font color="red"> PING...jobettye, you are needed of D-line capper...PING </font>)...That's the sound I don't want to hear...

We have progressively been adding additional new technology to keep up with the demand for Heaven Hill products. We can't get it out the door fast enough...We have been working alot of overtime...plus Saturdays...We made a big dent in the "upgrades" to our bottling house grin.gifgrin.gif A massive jump in the future of things to come... I am proud to be a part of this stuff...Makes me say WOW!...Just awsome...

0-line could produce, 10,000 cases in "one (1)" shift. The problem was keeping the lines full with cases...The biggest addition (this shut-down) is in the De-palletizer, O-LINE...

A <font color="red"> ROBOT

The de-palletizer is where the empty glass container's (in cases) are fed to the lines for bottling...Our de-palletizer is located up in the "roost" high above and fed thru tunnels into the bottling house.</font> The start of bottling grin.gif...

This first picture is part of the de-palletizer...it's like a elevator that lifts pallets of cases high to the platform so the worker's can unload the cases to the lines...Most of it's already been removed.

Bettye Jo

---To give a little direction...in the essay of pictures, the new robot is located (almost) where the forktruck is parked in this picture---

post-20-14489812168455_thumb.jpg

Gone grin.gifgrin.gif

Sparks fly as Mike smooths the floor from remnants left from the old machinery.

Bettye Jo

post-20-14489812168728_thumb.jpg

Over-view form the cat walk in front of the de-palletizer's...there are 5 of them (behind me)...I am standing in the "roost" while taking this picture grin.gif

See all the rows of fans? It's hotter than HELL up there in the summer time!

post-20-1448981216939_thumb.jpg

A closer look...

Now let me tell ya...That's just <font color="red"> AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! </font>

It reminds me of the movie "Robo Cop" grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif Shoot, it won't be long before we add equipment that responds to our questions about maintenance grin.giflol.gif

Can't wait to see it in operation grin.gif

We also installed a "entire" new Vacuum system...new case lifts on the packer...

F-line, 750-1 Ltr. Square Evan Williams line...we added a new packer, sealer and elevator grin.gif

post-20-14489812169604_thumb.jpg

Both of ya are most Welcome grin.gifgrin.gif

I was beginning to think that no one was interested coffeedrinker.gifpopcorn.gif in "how Bourbon (in bottles) gets their way grin.gif---

Bettye Jo

I've never been on the HH tour(hangs head in shame) is the bottling plant part of it? Will tourists be able to see these robots in action?

Sadly, as awesome as some of this stuff is...Well, it's a very dangerous place blush.gif...On some of the palletizers---there is a sign---cross bones and skull---the words--- <font color="red"> DANGER WILL CAUSE DEATH </font> ----No beating around the bush there...

Since they opened the new Bourbon Heritage Center, they no longer give tours of the Bottling house...Although, that does not mean that it won't happen wink.gifwink.gif...Next time you are around, just give me a little notice and we can probably arrange a small "view" into our place grin.gifgrin.gif

Cameron, glad to hear from you grin.gifgrin.gif I have a few more pic's...

These pictures capture the massive re-structuring of F-LINE...To familiarize yourself with this line...It produces the 750 and Ltr. Evan Williams, Black--all square bottlings, Elijah Craig, Burnett's Vodka and Gin, and the list goes on...The majority of the runs on this line are those three products grin.gifgrin.gif

Here's a view of the F-LINE right after we tore out all of the old machinery grin.gifgrin.gif

post-20-14489812198119_thumb.jpg

and here's what it looks like now grin.gif This is a view of the packer---divides the bottles and drops them into the case---the sealer...closes the flaps, adds serial number and tapes the case---exit---to the elevator--up to the overhead conveyors to the "full case Palletizer" grin.gifgrin.gif

post-20-14489812198337_thumb.jpg

This a "update" on those chairs we rescued---recovered, refinished and embroidered---- from the dumpster grin.gifgrin.gif They get their "fare share" of abuse...but I'm glad to note they still look great...especailly for maintenance shop furniture grin.gifgrin.gif

post-20-14489812198574_thumb.jpg

The chairs!

I've spent a little time around manufacturing and processing plants (most notably the "slime line" at an Alaskan salmon cannery), and these are by far the nicest chairs I've seen.

I was sure that they'd be commandeered to the executive offices the first time you went on vacation.

Roger

Ahhhhhhhhhhh...I love my chairs grin.gifgrin.gif So do the rest of the fellas. That little project was fun and it made a "stronger" bond between all of us grin.gif...

I will tell you this...many of the chief's came to see those chairs grin.gifgrin.gif They made the comment that they should be "up in the front offices" grin.gifgrin.gif I am grateful they didn't take them...

Bettye Jo

Thanks for all the pictures Betty Jo.....loved the visual tour!

Dawn

Hello Bettye Jo, fantastic post on the upgrade....

It is also very interesting in seeing a production method come into the 'new age'. I will be heading over in April so I look forward to saying G'Day!! And just quitely don't let Max get those chairs wink.gif

I have come from working in manufacturing and I know what the antics are of the 'bosses', my father was mine so you should be able to imagine when I found something what would happen to it frown.gif

Troy

Bar Items Plus

• 4 weeks later...

Very cool. That kind of stuff is what makes this place so much fun to visit. Thank you.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

It's shut down again...The lines are not running for the next two weeks so that all the bottlinghouse worker's can go on vacation.

I work day shift for the next two weeks. This is the only opportunity that we can do some real maintenance and upgrade our equipment...

We are doing the regular stuff...replacing bearings...gears...roller...etc...

My line (1.75 glass) gets a new piece of equipment...A new case lift :grin: :grin:

We stripped the machine down to bare bones and added new Mac valves and all new wiring for the plc that will control this new slick item :grin: :grin: :grin: The flap opener is on the lift :grin: :grin: a great feature that will keep off my knees not stretching deep inside the machine for maintenance.

The packer is almost 35 years old. We have modified it to handle the volumes that we produce now. Amazing, the new technology that you can add to machinery no matter how old and make it produce numbers beyond your expectations :grin:

Here's a picture of the machine (case packer) right after we removed all the guts and started to replace the valves, wiring and airlines :grin: :grin: :grin: I wish I had taken a picture of it before we started but I forgot to bring my camera...The knee pads are a must...hopefully, I won't need them (as much) with this new lift :grin:

After I finish with my line we are going to install a new "PAMA" line in the WLD room...All the machinery and parts should be delivered by morning...I will try to get pictures of the "old equipment" before we remove it.

Oh...and for those not familiar with a case packer?...Simply put, it will take the bottles and drop them into a case :grin:

The second picture is the other side where the plc is located...We finished all the wiring today and hopefully, will install the lift for a test run :grin: in the morning.

Bettye Jo

post-20-14489812418058_thumb.jpg

post-20-14489812418331_thumb.jpg

Finally...It's back together again...

We started the "fine tuning" today...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh...No!

It went dead after about 30 cases :(...

After quite awhile troubleshooting, the malfunction was found...

The limit switch for the lift height (wire) was pinched and after about 30 pinches...well...it cut it off :( and blew the fuse.

The first tests looked really good. The only way to get it exactly right is to run bottles...and I can't do that till they get back from vacation next week...

I will repaint it later this week...the old machine will look grand when I'm finished :grin:

I took some pictures of the new "Pama" line...I will post them later. Hopefully, we will have this line ready for production by late Friday afternoon :grin: It's not a "high speed" line but faster than the old "G" line which runs all the single barrels.

The old filler machine (G-line) that we use now "used" to be in a milk factory...actually filled the old milk bottles :grin: :grin: :grin:

How ironic...Kentucky changed it's official drink choice from Bourbon to milk...

Hmmmmmmm...now that's just wrong :rolleyes:

post-20-14489812450726_thumb.jpg

Bettye Jo,

This is from a guy who almost has to lable the lug nuts to ensure that I reinstall a car wheel correctly.

When I saw the earlier picture of the machine in a state of disassembly, I wondered whether you would get it all back together. Naturally I am impressed that it is working once again (with upgrades, IIRC).

Your mention of the pinched wires is a reminder of how thousands of things that are right can be disabled by a single thing that is wrong. I shudder every time I think about the space shuttle in this context.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.