Stagg 2005

BobA
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Stagg's not available locally, but when visiting family, I found a bottle of the 131.8 proof. Which, when I got home, I found was the same proof as the bottle I'd bought in the spring. That surprised me as I'd been in the store 2 days before, got a bottle of the 2005 Saz 18 (no 6 yr) and there was no Stagg then. Actually had gone back to get another Saz, and there was the Stagg, and when I had bought the Saz, the clerk even said I'd missed out on the Stagg (he hadn't heard of the 6 yr Saz or the Weller). Figured it had to be the new stuff.

Anyway, a few questions. What's the proof of the fall 2005? Any big difference from the 131.8? The search function never seems to work for me on anything more than one word, but I know I've seen a posting of all the various proofs, and I can't find it; anyone care to point it out for me?

Thanks.

Bob

The Fall '05 version is 141.2 proof. To me, it's a lot like the Spring version, only bolder still. As with the other Staggs I've had (the 131.8/Spring '05 and 129/'04), it's amazingly drinkable for such high strength - if you add water at all, just use a little bit.

Of the three versions I've had, the 129 is the sweetest, while the 131.8 and 141.2 have an additional spicy layer to them. None of them have disappointed me...

• 2 months later...

I was in one of Atlanta's larger liquor stores today and saw Stagg for the first time in Georgia. It was the fall 2005 issue and priced at $63.00. At that price, I let it lie, as I've got enough of this one, but it is a good sign. What's next? Elmer T Lee and Buffalo Trace?

Really? Very good news. Which store, if I may ask? And I'll probably make my swing through the bigger intown stores, just for the heck of it.

Bob

Have either of you other Georgians been to the Greens package store in Buford? Non-Georgians are also welcome to respond. I've been to two Greens stores in SC and both had a rather large selection with quite reasonable prices.

Never been to the Green's in Buford. Did stop by the Green's in town on Buford Highway, as well as the Tower on Piedmont. No Stagg or other rare or new (for GA) BT products. Tower did have the Eagle SB, but I'm pretty sure it was there before; I know I've seen it in a couple of stores. Generally, Green's and Tower are bigger stores with good selection, although the Green's I visit seems more limited in bourbon than other things.

Bob

That's probably the Green's to which I was referring. I think there's only one in GA. I've never been to Tower. I'll have to check it out soon.

There is at least one more Green's, on Ponce, near the old Sears (City Hall East). But it is smaller, and usually has less out.

A quick look at a 2000 white pages showed just the two Greens.

Bob

To address problems like the one you just had, I carry a little list in my wallet of which proofs of Stagg I have & don't have and what year they are, along with notes on other bourbons to look for or not get confused with each other. Helps with things like DSP numbers.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.