Bulleit...

mrt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm just trying Bulleit now...On the bottle there's "Bulleit Distilling Co." statement-not Four Roses. I couldn't find this distillary among "makers" on the main site. Is there another Bulleit by Four Roses? Or maybe sth. has changed...

And...compared to the first bourbons I tried (Jim Beam Black, Jim Beam), I think "caramel" aroma is less significant here and this one is more oaky, tastes fine overall. A noice level result, of course...May I get any comments from someone who drank (or drinks) Bulleit ?

I bought my first bottle of Bulleit a couple of weeks ago, but have not opened it yet. Too many open bottles. smirk.gif

I also would like to know who actually makes it. But, I think it may be one of those private bottlers who conceals their source. Even though their website claims they use special ingredients and production methods, I do not believe they are a big enough player to actually be making their own product. confused.gif

Tim

I fought my way through two bottles and could never develop a taste for it. Just not my bourbon. I would take EC12 over Bulleit at a cheaper price any day.

Bulleit is made by Four Roses in Lawrenceburg, KY. The brand is owned by Diageo, which contracts with Four Roses (Kirin) to make it. This is all openly admitted to by all parties.

I like Bulleit. Its high rye formula gives it a distinctive flavor.

Nothing about Bulleit struck me as impressive enough to buy it again, I know it sounds silly, but even the look of the bottle and the way it is spelled turns me off. I don't know, the 'eit just makes me think it should be pronounced in some European way or something? It doesn't help that it falls in that $22+ dollar range where I'd just as soon save money and stick with WT 101 or spend a little more and get something I really like...

I like things spelled the simple way, Bullet. usflag.gif

I'm not going to say what it is. I used to like Dickle, not a favorite but it was ok. I can't drink it now cause it tastes just like flintstones vitamins.

Lots of people do like Bulleit keep an open mind you may be one of them. I do think it has a high Rye content if you like Rye it could be for you.

Nothing about Bulleit struck me as impressive enough to buy it again, I know it sounds silly, but even the look of the bottle and the way it is spelled turns me off. I don't know, the 'eit just makes me think it should be pronounced in some European way or something? It doesn't help that it falls in that $22+ dollar range where I'd just as soon save money and stick with WT 101 or spend a little more and get something I really like...

I like things spelled the simple way, Bullet. usflag.gif

It was a guy's name, not a projectile.

Ken

It was a guy's name, not a projectile.

Ken

Was he French?

Hahaha, Just kidding! Thanks for the clarification.

Yep, when you look at the history he was from France...but then again, go back far enough and we are all from somewhere else! I like Bulleit, and actually I think the Bottle is unique. Actually kind of an interesting history when you read it.

Bulleit has been available for about seven years in Maryland. It is also resonably priced at under $15. I've had more than a few bottles over the years and find it one of my favorite regular pours.

This may be a dumb question, but I figured this would be a perfect thread to ask it in.....

How do you pronounce Bulleit? Bullet? Baleet? Booleet?

I love the rye side of the bourbon market and (other than JB Black) Bulleit was my introduction into the vast bourbon offerings out there. It has a special place in my heart and I'm not even sure how to pronounce it!!!

How do you pronounce Bulleit?

The same way you pronounce the things that go in a gun.

• 3 weeks later...

I posted this in another thread as well, but I have an interview with Tom Bulleit in Episode 15 of WhiskyCast in which he discusses some of the history about Augustus Bulleit, as well as his philosophy on making bourbon. A great guy!

Mark

www.whiskycast.com

This bourbon is definitely spicy and hot to my tastes. It starts off enjoyable but the finish is just really harsh to me. It's not that there aren't good flavors in there, they just seem to be overshadowed by this red pepper type burn. I'm glad to have it on the shelf, but it certainly won't be a regular pour and will likely be left out on the shelf during the upcoming Mardi Gras. I'm a novice though. These are just my thoughts after a few tastes.

Hidden

Exactly how I felt about Bulleit, it was okay. There are so many better bourbons out there to my taste for the same or less money. I've been using the bottle I bought to mix with. Tom V

I thought it was ok...not real good though...

Exactly how I feel about Bulleit, it's okay. For my tastes there are so many better bourbons out there for the same or less $. I've been using the bottle I bought to mix with. Tom V

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.