Bourbon from Michter's distillery....???

BarItemsPlus1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Can someone advise me on whether the AH Hirsch 20yr has bourbon from Michter's distillery...?

I have read in Michael Jackson's-Whisky, The Definative World Guide...that the 16yr old is from this distillery and I read that it was bottled at BT, is it the same for the 20yr old?

Is there any current info on Michter's??

I am also needing some advice on the older bourbons-18yr+ as I would like to get hold of some of these and bring them into Oz. What are the thoughts on Black Mapel Hill??

I am also looking for some advice on 'old' rye's...ie. whiskey from closed distilleries.

Are there wharehouses of old/closed distilleries that still contain casks from say 1975 or earlier??

Regards,

Troy.

Bar Items Plus, Australia

Can someone advise me on whether the AH Hirsch 20yr has bourbon from Michter's distillery...?

Yes, it is/was Michter's (Shaefferstown, PA) whiskey.

...I have read in Michael Jackson's-Whisky, The Definative World Guide...that the 16yr old is from this distillery and I read that it was bottled at BT, is it the same for the 20yr old?..

The 16- and 20yo Hirsch bottlings are from the same Michter's whiskey, distilled in 1974. The age difference is the difference in time between when they were removed from their barrels and tanked -- the 16yo in 1990, and the 20yo in 1994. There were also 190 cases of a 19yo bottling in 1993. A.H. Hirsch was bottled originally by Julian Van Winkle at his Old Commonwealth Distillery bottling line in Lawrenceburg, KY. Only the last bottling run -- the gold-foil capsule 16yos, in Sept. 2003 -- was performed at Buffalo Trace.

...Is there any current info on Michter's?..

It is defunct, and has lost its National Historic Register designation, and will almost certainly be dismantled. See here for some historical info:

Legacy of Bomberger/Michter's Distillery

Troy,

I got some old rye from Michters. Overholt 1810 93 proof. The brand is mentioned in the Murray yellow book. I also got Old Overholt 86 proof distilled in Penn and I am almost sure that is Michters to since all other distilleries were closed long time ago in Penn.

Leif

Yes, it is/was Michter's (Shaefferstown, PA) whiskey.

...I have read in Michael Jackson's-Whisky, The Definative World Guide...that the 16yr old is from this distillery and I read that it was bottled at BT, is it the same for the 20yr old?..

The 16- and 20yo Hirsch bottlings are from the same Michter's whiskey, distilled in 1974. The age difference is the difference in time between when they were removed from their barrels and tanked -- the 16yo in 1990, and the 20yo in 1994. There were also 190 cases of a 19yo bottling in 1993. A.H. Hirsch was bottled originally by Julian Van Winkle at his Old Commonwealth Distillery bottling line in Lawrenceburg, KY. Only the last bottling run -- the gold-foil capsule 16yos, in Sept. 2003 -- was performed at Buffalo Trace.

...Is there any current info on Michter's?..

It is defunct, and has lost its National Historic Register designation, and will almost certainly be dismantled. See here for some historical info:

Legacy of Bomberger/Michter's Distillery

Tim,

I have seen a lot of bourbon in my journeys around the area over the course of the last month but yet to see any Hirsch for sale anywhere. Is it available in Tennessee? If so, maybe I just missed it somewhere....don't think so though. Maybe like the PVW-23, I'll have to ask the proprietors to locate a bottle or two for me.

thankyousign.gif - Wayne

usflag.gif

...Is it available in Tennessee?..

At least in Middle Tennessee, the last-issue, gold-foil 16yo has been distributed within the last year, but I doubt there is much left other than what's on shelves. It currently runs about $75-$80.

As you likely know, what's available in one of the state's four distribution areas may or may not be available elsewhere.

G'day Leif.... grin.gif

Do you have a bottle that you would like for me to enjoy drinking.gif

I am reading a lot of tasting notes and so forth on Ryes and bourbon from old distilleries and I am quite keen to get some(lots actually cool.gif)

I am trying to get in a few cases of some of the 'older' bourbons and some of the more botique bourbons for the Aussie market and I want to try some of them too.

Cheers Leif!! toast.gif

Regards,

Troy.

Troy,

Well I got 2 bottles of the 93 proof. It is a real old 4/5 quart bottle but in good shape. And it is of cause potstill distilled. I could trade one of them if you have anything real interesting to offer since I have already dunk one bottle, and don’t need to save any bottle for that reason.

Leif

Okay while we are at this I got a question.

I have three bottles here.I hope the picture is visable.

The bottle on the left is from Bardstown, middle is Lawrenceburg,and the

Rye from the right is also Lawrenceburg.

I have been to the Old Commonwealth Dist. when Julian made these two on

the right but never asked him which distillery the bourbon and rye came from

The Barsdtown bottleis a recent one and it must be a HH 10 year rye ?

Anybody got answers confused.gif

post-74-14489812206887_thumb.jpg

Leif, is this is the special version of Overholt you've mentioned earlier? I'd be interested to trade for that (say a 20 year old Canadian Club if I can find one, or the new Danfield's small batch Canadian). Are you thinking of attending Sampler upcoming (April 29, Bardstown) or the Festival in in autumn? I'll be happy to open it for the crowd if we can do this.

Gary

IIRC Julian never stated where the whiskey came from just that the people that he bottled it for brought the whiskey with them, in other words it wasn't any of Julians whiskey.

I happen to have a bottle of the 10yo rye from Lawrencburg.

The later Bardstown bottles are bottled at the Willet Distillery.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.