Educating

T47
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

While perusing through some of the distant posts, I came across this article and found it very informative, being a new Bourbon drinker and all. Seeing that there are several other newbie’s here with me, I thought I would post the article here again. What an informative site this is!

Chuck is a great and valuable resource. One of many on this board that I enjoy learning from. He is also a discerning taster as evidenced by his performance in Bardstown this fall! His book, DVD and newsletter are all informative and entertaining. That posting is a nice general reference. Thanks for pointing it out.

Ken

He is also a discerning taster as evidenced by his performance in Bardstown this fall!

That performace? For newbies grin.gif click here

Straightbourbon.com Bourbonian taster of the Year, 2005 grin.gifgrin.gif

That gold plate (in the picture, below) is engraved with, Chuck Cowdery, Chicago ILL...2005

I wonder Clever.gifskep.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Who will be "The Straightbourbon.com Bourbonian Taster of The Year, 2006? grin.gifgrin.gif I know that Mike Miller---Delihia's, Chicago---missed this event but told me that he was gonna be back next year and take that "TITLE" away from Chuck duel.gif---His words---not mine grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Same time, same place grin.gifgrin.gif

Kentucky Bourbon Festival, 2006, <font color="red"> COUNT DOWN </font>

grin.gifgrin.gif Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh grin.gifgrin.gif

Bettye Jo

<font color="red"> EDIT </font>

Nealy everything you want to know about Bourbon is right here on Straightbourbon.com...The front page has alot of information for folks interested in the real facts about bourbon. grin.gifgrin.gif

Oh...and while I'm here...mize well tell the tale...

This site is the #1 Bourbon resource on the internet... grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

bis.gif Hands Down bis.gif...Last count there were nearly 2 <font color="red"> MILLION </font> unique hits just last month...On the average it's about...Hmmmmmmmmm...1.5 <font color="red"> Million </font> a month... That's awsome bis.gifbis.gifbis.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

post-20-14489812204217_thumb.jpg

Yes, that article is an oldie but goodie. I enjoyed rereading it yet again. If I had more (make that "any") bourbon-drinking friends nearby, I would make good use of it.

I'm sure Chuck Cowdery (the author) would be the first to say that such articles have a shelf-life, at least insofar as details about specific bottlings are concerned. (In contrast, the main ideas are enduring.) There have been a few changes since 1999, the copyright date of the article.

For example, good luck finding Eagle Rare 101 for inclusion in the BIB/100 proof tasting. IIRC, even the 7 year-old version of Evan Williams is no more.

I was about to say something similar regarding Weller Centennial, which I had thought was 90 proof. However, a quick check of the bottle my son bought me for Christmas ("Dad, the liquor store store guy never heard of 'William Larue Weller', but he said this is the best that Weller makes") revealed that Chuck was right, as usual.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Thank you for posting that, I was picking up through other readings what Mash Bill was, but that cleared it up completely.

Thanks! Learning something every time I look at this page.

thankyousign.gif

Yea, it is a lot to learn...but a tasty education so far! Problem is, I found this site when my only bottle of Bourbon ran out, that was Makers. Now I have 16 bottles…about half not yet open. I have a wish list of bottles that included 12 more bottles I wanted to try, and now that little article gave me ideas for a couple more! Oh well, I don’t plan on dying any time soon, so I have time…With the exception of a strange bottle of 1792 Ridgemont Reserve (which when replaced I enjoyed also), and an eye opening experience with McCarthy's Oregon Single-Malt Whiskey (which is WAY out of my taste palate) they have all been great.

For me it’s a tossup between WT 101 and Elijah Craig 12 Year-old as my everyday favorites, might be Buffalo Trace but that is not something I can count on getting out here all the time.

I’m almost scared to look at any more old posts! I might be able to squeeze a couple more in the pantry, but then I will have to wait for space to open up and replace them as I go. Boy…life is good…what a Country! toast.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.