Thanks a lot...

scratchline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just wanted to "thank" all the knowledgable and friendly voices on this board. Thanks to you, what has been a roughly 6 year interest in rye whiskey has, in a few short, precious weeks, blossomed into a full-blown bourbon obsession. I now am the proud owner of multiple bottles of WT RR 101, WT 12, WT Tribute, ORVW 15, Old Fitz 1849, Rittenhouse Rye, Saz Jr and orphans of WT KS, Hirsch 16, ORVW 10 107, PVW 15, Buffalo Trace, Old Fitz BIB, Sazerac Rye '02, and a few more odds and ends.

The latest twist in the saga involved check out at my favorite liquor shop with my girlfriend in tow where, when I passed them my credit card and in full view of the checkout staff, she asked if I had "that much money in my account?"

Don't get me wrong. This is more a reflection on my dubious financial condition than on the enormity of my purchase but still...humiliation is humiliation.

That said, I need a drink. I think I'll kill this open bottle of EC12, crack open a newbie and get back to poring over the old posts.

Thanks all. Best. And sip safe.

Mike

Believe me, I'm in the same situation and understand your predicament better than you know. I had been monitoring and reading this Forum for well over a year (or longer) as I methodically & slowly renewed an interest & taste for bourbon after many a year alternating between beer & J.D.

After I joined last month and started participating, I have become the proud owner of some of what you listed, plus a few others, and am constantly hunting for more! At the same time while trying to keep enough in the bank to stay afloat and not draw too much attention from my better half. bigeyes.gif

Tomorrow is my day off from work this week. I guarantee you the that I'll find myself in at least 4-6 liquor stores by the end of the day....on the hunt again! In the last month, I know that I have been in more spirit shops than in all my previous 27 legal drinking years put together. The whole thing is mind-boggling....but, life is short and as I tell my wife - a man has got to have a hobby and this is much cheaper than a blonde! That really brings a scowl to her face! hot.gif

I think I'll soon join you drink.gif and take some more out of that RR101 I opened last evening. toast.gif

Ah, my Bourbon obsessed Brother…I feel your pain as well. It started for me last July when I had my first taste of Bourbon after being nothing but a beer drinker for 22 years. My first sip of Makers, and I though, hey…this is good.

Well my father in law gave me a couple ½ gallons that I sipped on occasion, and then it ran out. I decided to replace the bottle and while searching the net for recommendations, I found this site and now have 16 bottles in the pantry. Fortunate for me my wife is only 5’3†and cant see the top shelf, or oh baby would I have some explaining to do! A few of the bottles are repeats…and I am putting a self-imposed limit of 20 bottles on myself…that keeps them all on the top shelf where the boss cant see! I just don’t think she would understand! Though I think it will be a while before #17 hits the shelf because I am saving up for a bottle of Pappy Van Winkles 20 which in WA. sells for $87.60.

This is a great site, and the folks have great information and are very friendly. This is going to be an enjoyable ride

toast.gif

Yeah, I think I really knew I had a problem, as if I needed more proof, when I had my dear old mother on the phone reading me DSP #s off of a bottle of Old Fitz BIB that I had her retrieve for me.

Good old mom.

And then she called me a couple of hours later to ask what "sourmash" meant. See, it's dangerous. Those labels just suck you in.

Just wanted to "thank" all the knowledgable and friendly voices on this board. Thanks to you, what has been a roughly 6 year interest in rye whiskey has, in a few short, precious weeks, blossomed into a full-blown bourbon obsession.

I'll second that! A big THANK YOU to all the folks that have contributed information here and made this resource available for us. This community is an incredible source of information on every aspect of bourbon (and many other topics). It's a daily stop for me and there is always something new to learn. Since I found this board last year, I've gone from a solitary bottle of JD sitting among my other mixers to over 20 bottles of various bourbons and I've tried a lot more than that through various methods.

Whenever bourbon come up in conversation, my wife like to warm the other parties up with "here comes the bourbon speech" whereupon I recite back the information I've learned here. smile.gif

Jay

Tomorrow is my day off from work this week. I guarantee you the that I'll find myself in at least 4-6 liquor stores by the end of the day....on the hunt again!

Well, I shot low. I made it to ten (10), yep that's right - 10 stores today. I am beginning to slow some though as the stash has now grown to nearly 30 bottles. There are not too many left on my hit list before I start stocking up on some of my favorite discontinued items like WTRR-101 and ER101.

I can echo just about all sentiments of the high emotion felt by us newbies, and, sincere thanks to all who have helped me on the Forum. Well, I say 'help'.....they have helped me spend some money for sure! Oh well, life is short and I have never seen anyone take the money with them when they depart this world.

Kidding aside though, it is time for me to slow down for a while and enjoy the fruits of my labor. The following are the results of my hunting trip today and in order of capture:

1) Wild Turkey 101, 12yo limited edition;

2) G.T. Stagg/131.8 proof (spring 2005)(2 bottles);

3) Van Winkle Special Reserve, Lot B, 12yo (2 bottles);

4) Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12yo (S-W/Louisville);

5) Weller Antique 107 (S-W/Louisville).

At 10:00 am this morning, I took $250 out of my paycheck and headed out on my 4-hour adventure covering 10 stores on a 50-mile round trip. Needless to say, all of it is gone....nothing left but pocket change. nope.gif

It is a good thing - a very good thing - that I only have one day off every week. Otherwise, I would find myself divorced, living in my car with a trunk-full of bourbon. Well, it could be worse - nothing in the trunk!! drink.gif

Good hunting to all!

usflag.gif Wayne

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.