Novice-continues learning

mrt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've just learned that Maker's Mark is one of Jim Beam Brands. Having read the "makers" section on the main site, I thought it was another company. You see, I go on bourbon-surfing smile.gif

By the way, I think they used to be seperate companies once, is that right?

Our Bobby Cox drew our attention to the relevant business transaction in this post. Unfortunately the link he provided has now expired. A Google search on "fortune brands maker's mark", absent the quotes, turned up several articles, including this one, directly from Fortune Brands.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

The business transaction that brought Maker's Mark under Fortune Brands was fairly recent, and the info on the "main site" (I assume you mean the StraingtBourbon.com main page) hasn't yet been updated to reflect that change.

The previous owners of Maker's (Allied Domecq) seemed to be fairly hands-off with the product, so its possible that Fortune will take that same approach. Time will tell.

The business transaction that brought Maker's Mark under Fortune Brands was fairly recent, and the info on the "main site" (I assume you mean the StraingtBourbon.com main page) hasn't yet been updated to reflect that change.

The previous owners of Maker's (Allied Domecq) seemed to be fairly hands-off with the product, so its possible that Fortune will take that same approach. Time will tell.

Or maybe they'll decide that Maker's should become this ultra premium aged barrel strength brand and rework it to fit that new profile, undoing years or erosion...... Move over WLW!

Okay, not likely.

Ken banghead.gif

I believe they should hire Six FLags to run it. I already think they make more money off of merchandizing than they do off the whisky. Why not put in some rides and such.

As a fellow bourbonite, I likewise hope that Fortune turns MM into a premium wheated bourbon. Even though they are a competitor, I believe it will ultimately help the entire category.

Ken

I too hope that the change in management brings improvement but the marketing that MM and other "purported premium" brands do has done a great deal for the furtherment of bourbon in general. While some of us may not feel that the quality of the product is up to par, this is most likely the first real bourbon many people out side of Kentucky try andno doubt brings many converts our way.

Tim

soapbox.gifsoapbox.gif

While some of us may not feel that the quality of the product is up to par

And some of us like it just the way it is and think they should leave it the hell alone.

Demonstration.gif

No one said they have to change the current recipe. I think they can expand their range a bit and I'm sure no one around here would object to something with a little higher proof!

There you go, remember, we all have our own favorites, and I know that Dale LOVES his MM and he's not alone or they wouldn't be selling EVERY DROP THEY PRODUCE. I reapect the HELL out of that. If any of you remember when they reformulated Coca Cola to compete with the sweeter Pepsi, they REALLY pulled the pin out of the party hog for that one. Has anyone seen a can of "New Coke" lately?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.