Compass Box Eleuthera

CrispyCritter
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's been almost a year since I last had a bottle of this. I bought another one a few weeks ago, and finally got around to opening it, after starting out with pours of ERSB 10 and WT Rye. Eleuthera is a vatting of malt whiskies (Clynelish, Caol Ila, Glenlossie, others?).

This is a bit on the smoky side, but not ultra-peaty like (Dane's favorite... not!) Ardbeg. It's a very nice balance between Highland sweetness and Islay smokiness. It's very rich, but not at all overpowering.

Lovely, and reasonably priced, too. A brilliant example of what we here would call "Gillmanizing." :)

I just bought a Signatory Caol Ila 14YO CS and I cannot wait to try it. I love Islay Malts and this is supposed to be a great one.

Caol Ila is a very balanced malt, with the Peat doing its job to delineate the spirit without overpowering. Peat can interact with heavy oaking to produce a weird rancid chocolate thing that I hate in Lagavulin. Of course, distillery-bottled Caol Ila is being introduced at a high rate in this country to counteract the relative shortage of Lagga. Our benefit, I should say.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.