Old Crow 4/5 quarter, Traveller,86 proof

manny
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I´m not sure how this relates to the bottle I bought last year. This one is called Old Crow Traveler Fifth, 70 proof. Possibly from the end of the 60´s (it has both 67 and 69 embossed on the bottom).

This one was fairly expensive but having sampled it over a longer time I have to say that I´m glad that I coughed up. Dry and chocolatey at the same time as apricot fruity. A real delight, actually.

According to Chuck´s book, Old Crow witnessed a sharp decline in quality at the end of 60´s. Maybe my bottle is a pre-decline one. Either that or it was even more delicious before this. The very thought is mind-boggling!

...According to Chuck´s book, Old Crow witnessed a sharp decline in quality at the end of 60´s...

I believe (maybe from a bobbyc post?) that today's Old Crow essentially is 3yo Jim Beam white label.

I believe (maybe from a bobbyc post?) that today's Old Crow essentially is 3yo Jim Beam white label.

Yes, but I think Chuck meant that the decline happened before the switch to Beam product. I am at work so I cannot check but I think he wrote something about a mistake that, due to flippancy, wasn´t rectified.

Manny,

I paid 85 British pounds for my bottle.

It may well be, but the older 4yo Old Crow from Beam (late 90's) was far different from JB white label. As I have posted here before, I found it to be a delightful, well composed litttle whiskey, but not at all delicate or lacking in complexity. I don't know if JB was working in the last of the ND stock or what. That seems unlikely as it would have been ten years old when my last bottle of 4yo was bottled.

The present 3yo is a further travesty upon a proud old name. Considering how inexpensive other bottom shelf 4yo bourbons are, I think they could return to 4yo without much price increase. After all, the price didn't go down when they changed to 3yo. I wish they would return it to the pre-1997 quality.

Jeff

Hedmans and to anyone else, iit's 86 proof and in late 60's ( embossed both 67 and 68 on the bottom), that this mean it's more expensive or just the same ?

Hedmans and to anyone else, iit's 86 proof and in late 60's ( embossed both 67 and 68 on the bottom), that this mean it's more expensive or just the same ?

I couldn´t really be sure but i was told in an earlier thread which you find here that the 70 proof of my bottle was an older proof system called Sykes.

This was discussed in an earlier thread where you also can view a picture of my bottle : http://www.straightbourbon.com/ubbthreads/showthread.php?t=4412

Hedmans, I saw your pix. , would you like to acquire this particular Old Crow ?

It's bought by my father, years ago. Later on, given to me as a present. But, as i can't handle hard liquor, I'm selllng it for less, because its not filled up to the rim anymore, due to evaporation.

Hedmans, I saw your pix. , would you like to acquire this particular Old Crow ?

Thanks for the offer, Manny, but I have to decline. I already own a bottle and have my sights set on other discoveries.

Seeing as it is good stuff inside the bottle, I´m sure there would be lots of takers on this forum.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.