travel chanel's "Made in America" to show Makers Mark on Tues. 1/31

ThomasH
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hello,

To any and all SB.com users, this Tues,1/31, Travel Channel's "Made In America" show will have a segment on the Making of Kentucky Straight bourbon whiskey. The ad showed host John Ratzenberger dipping bottles at the Makers Mark distillery. On a similar episode about a year ago, they showed production at the Jack Daniels distillery. The episode airs around 9PM EST. This show is quite good, not just for whiskey, but in general. I just thought everyone might like to know. Happy viewing!

Thomas

I've been waiting for this! Someone told me about it a while back but I've never had a chance to view it.

Thanks!

I'll sure be tuning in....

One more example of how Maker's Mark is able to take advantage of the marketing opportunities....

Gotta hand it to them...love to see the other distilleries reach out like this too.

Damm, it doesn't look like Australian Pay TV has this show :(

I don't suppose anyone will be recording it on a DVD recorder???

Darn, I only have basic and it doesn't include the travel channel

Ditto, but since our TV doesn't get turned on for weeks at a time except to watch movies, it isn't normally much of a loss.

Would be nice to see, though.

Jeff

Is this going to compete with the President's State Of The Union Address?

Not in my house. I can read his address after I learn something about important things...that being bourbon. :)

Thanks for the heads up. I saw the JD episode and it was sweet. The story about Zippo lighters wasn't bad either.

Christian

On my schedule I set up to tape at 08:00 Central US time and saw that it was going to repeat at 11:00 Central. You might be able to catch it again later....

Interested to know/hear reaction to the program. I had to work late and missed it. Was it informative and enlightening?

I enjoyed the program; however, there was only enough time to provide a brief history of Maker's Mark and the town of Loretto , a broad overview of the process, and limited footage of the property. I was fortunate enough to visit Maker's Mark last year. It is in a beautiful setting and the staff provided an interesting tour. Anyone visiting the area should include a visit to Maker's Mark. I recorded the presentation and if anyone is interested in a copy, please send me a private message.

Doug

Interested to know/hear reaction to the program. I had to work late and missed it. Was it informative and enlightening?

I agree with Doug. It was nicely done but so short it was kinda like junk food. Not enough substance to be satisfying. We also toured the distillery last year and had a wonderful tour. It was Arlene's favorite, by far. She even dunked her own bottle in wax! It's on our mantle.

Bottom line, I was glad to see it but it wouldn't have negatively impacted my life if I'd missed it.

We need some more in depth stuff.

Ken

They mentioned they are using the same yeast since the beginning. I think we know that Van Winkle supplied the yeast 50 years ago when they started up again.

They perpetuated the oldest continuously operating thing. I don't know about that either.

If my memory serves me the site and operations and Makers Mark/Samuels have not continuously operated in any location for 147 years or whatever they claim.

They stated that column stills are unique to bourbon. That's not true either, from a spirits or industrial aspect.

I'm not sure how the whole Sisters of Loreto thing plays into the winter wheat thing, but its a nice story.

Other than that, the piece is good.

Love the toasting on the porch.

Bill is such a unique and affable character.

You gotta love him.

Keep telling yourself you're a dog long enough and you start to hike your leg next to trees and chew on house slippers....

I taped it last night and watched it this morning after I got off work. Other than the discrepancies Ed mentioned I found it a decent little spot. But I actually found myself waiting for Ratzenberger to start spouting Clavenisms. Now if George Wendt had pulled up a rocking chair next to him and Bill I would have really gotten a kick out of it....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.