Off to the UK, what to bring back?

hokiedave92
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

OK, guys and gals, I'm soon off to the UK for a weekend and want to get some recommendations on what to bring back in the way of single malt scotch. Last time over I brought back Glenfarclas 25 YO. I'm not too experienced in scotches, here's what I've tried so far: Glenfarclas 25, Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Dalwhinnie, and Laphroig. I'm looking for something that's near impossible to find here in the States. Recommendations?

I'm not too worried about style. For better or worse, I haven't found a scotch or bourbon yet that I truly dislike.

Thanks,

Dave

The supermarkets do some cheap and often very good own bottlings. Waitroise does a 23yo port aged speyside number for around £20 (possibly Glenfarclas). I've tried it and it is worth a go. Also their 'Island' single malt is good (actually Highland Park).

More conventionally:

Ardbeg Very young - super charged peat.

Serendipity (rated 96/100 by Jim Murray)

Don't really know what other stuff might be hard for you to get.

Last time I was in London (and Edinburgh), I went to Royal Mile Whiskies to look for bourbons (they have a large scotch range too)

The staff were friendly, knew their products and could direct me to several 'export only' bourbons that they stocked.

I was also chasing Van Winkle products, and they couldn't say enough good things about them :)

OK, guys and gals, I'm soon off to the UK for a weekend and want to get some recommendations on what to bring back in the way of single malt scotch.

There are some bottlings that are available only in duty-free stores. I got a non-chill filtered 10yo Ardbeg that is available only there. You might want to stop at one when you arrive and check the situation out so you know what is available. Then you will know what not to buy on the open market.

Jeff

Obviously, I do not know what is available in Maryland but I still would like the recommend something from the Flora & Fauna series, which usually sports a high quality. Some favourites of mine include Bladnoch (apricot-fruity), Linkwood (very malty) and Mortlach (sherry and moderately peated).

If you, on the other hand, are in the mood for something peaty and at the same time unusual, you could do worse than pick up a bottle of Longrow. Not quite as powerful as its Islay counterparts but still packing quite a punch.

First you should find out if what you want is available here in the US. That 25 yo Glenfarclas is easily found here and at a better price then the UK. Now the 30 yo version isn't found here if you want to get one of those. Depending on where you are going then Royal Mile Whiskies or Loch Fyne Whiskies are great places to look for scotch with highly knowledgeable staff. In London proper you may want to go to The Vintage House at 42 Old Compton Street for a selection of over 1200 scotches.

Glenfiddich Gran Reserva would be high on my list to get along with Monkey Shoulder, Blue Hanger, John Scott's 35 and a whole rash of others.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.