Botch -- the scotch/bourbon crossover

NorCalBoozer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

and were more recently by a whiskey merchant and blender (the John, Robo and ... company, can't recall the exact name).

Gary

It's Jon, Mark and Robbo's - The Smooth Sweeter One

The blend is 70% Single Irish Malt Whisky from Cooley’s Distillery matured in first fill bourbon barrels and 30% Scotch Single Malt Whisky from Bunnahahhain Distillery matured in American oak fino sherry casks

Thanks. Of course both those are single malts in the strict sense so there is no stylistic objection whatever to vatting them. Same thing if you used say Bushmills Malt, or Black Bush except with the latter you get a touch of grain which if anything may help matters, to display those malts. Blending true Irish ("pure") pot still with malt whisky makes sense too, I was doing it for years before reading in Jim Murray's Whisky Bible that he did not understand why there isn't a commercial one on the market. There is already some malt in the pot still, by adding malt whisky you are just adding "more".

Certain things I wouldn't do. I don't think a well-peated Islay would blend well with a rye whiskey although maybe I am wrong.

Blending is a fascinating art. As Sam Bronfman, the founder of Seagrams and a genius of a peculiar kind, said: distillation is a science, blending is an art.

Gary

yikes! i had this last night with 3 parts glenlivet to 1 part eagle rare SB. I guess i need to go back and use 4 parts bourbon to 1 part scotch.....but i can say that I still enjoyed it.

It was interesting to get that peat taste(somewhat muted) followed by some sweet caramel/brown sugar bourbon flavors and then some nice wood finish with the scotch smoke (that's what I term it, im scotch limited).

my original thesis was wether botch is a better bridge than a bourbon-like scotch and to me, so far, the answer is yes.

When I first tried scotch the flavors were so intense and sharp that it really was hard to take. even bourbon-like scotches seemed harsh to me. I think this botch is a good marriage to introduce someone to scotch flavors without turning them off by the intense scotch flavors.

Thanks! Greg.

Well, not quite "as instructed":

You've reversed them.

Not too surprising. :)

Hope you'll try again with the proportions reversed. I'm planning to.

Jeff

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.