Wild Turkey 8 yr.

scratchline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I came across a supply of this today. It was priced at about forty dollars a bottle which seemed steep considering that the Russell's Reserve 101 is still available around here for about 27.00.

I've also managed to pick up some 12 yr for 50. And I've even found some ORVW15 recently for 40. So is this a silly price for WT 8 yr? There were several at that price in what looked like Christmas boxes. Kind of evergreen patterning along the corners of the box. I didn't actually look inside but since they were the same price as the naked bottles, I assume that those were the 8 yr as well.

Advice and comments appreciated.

Thanks.

-Mike

Hello MiKe,

Unless this Wild Turkey 8yr was a 1.75L bottle, 40.00 is entirely to much. I think the 8yr is primarily an export and duty free bottling now but have read it is basically the equivalent of the regular 101 Wild Turkey. I recently bought a bottle of the 8yr at a duty free store on the way back to detroit for 19.60 for 1L. I tasted it against the regular 101 and there really isn't much difference. When I toured Wild Turkey distillery last March, the filmstrip we watched had a bit where Jimmy Russell stated that regular Wild turkey is a mixture of 6,8 and 10yr old whiskey. Wild Turkey 12 is also good but a bit steep in price. If you can get the 10yr Russells Reserve for 27.00 a bottle, that is the way to go. To me, it is the pick of the Wild Turkey brands!

Thomas

And I've even found some ORVW15 recently for 40.

Did you buy all the ORVW 15s???

Yes, I cleaned out the ORVW 15. And I've found all this stuff between NYC and southern MA.

I did manage to find a 1.75 of the old # 8 for 42.00 and that seemed a little high, but still in the ball park. I guess I'll have to wait to try the 8 yr. until I find a more reasonably priced dusty bottle.

-Mike

If you're coming to the Sampler in April, I'll be bringing a 1.75 of 8 yo I found on a dusty shelf last year and finally opened. I'll let those who sample it rate it against the current 101. I'm still formulating my opinion...

I had hoped to attend the Sampler, but it turns out I have to be in LA on business then. The good news is that will require a cross country drive that will take me thru bourbon country and allow me to visit some of the distilleries.

I'll be on the lookout for a bottle of the 8 yr as I work my way west.

Meanwhile I'll look forward to the SBers' comments on the old versus the new bottlings of the 101.

The good news is that will require a cross country drive that will take me thru bourbon country and allow me to visit some of the distilleries.

You're driving from NYC to LA? By choice?

Ah the open road, in April no less. Sounds like great fun to me. Even better if you can do it on a bike.

None of the WT101 8yo left in my neck of the woods as far as I know. I have zeroed-in on a small supply of what I call the 'transition' WT101 "Old No. 8" in the liter size at a small local store @ $31 apiece. I have doubts the "Old No. 8" is any different from the present 101 offering. I think it was just a subtle marketing ploy by WT when they changed from the pure 8yo 101 to the 6-8-12 blend of 101 a few years ago. By putting "Old No. 8" on the label, we were supposed to think it was still the same 8yo 101 proof WT. The 'real' 8yo is really now only to be found in those older bottles that state it as such on the label......all of this IMHO.

...The 'real' 8yo is really now only to be found in those older bottles that state it as such on the label......all of this IMHO.

It's still currently produced, too, for export. You'll find it on cruise ships and in duty-free stores, for example.

It's still currently produced, too, for export. You'll find it on cruise ships and in duty-free stores, for example.

It is in most convenience stores here in Japan. Good bourbon at a good price. I don't think I have had WT 101 in the States since the 80's so I can't compare what I get here to the standard 101 back home. The older premium WTs might be a bit better the 8 year old, but not by all that much.

Ed

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.