Wild Turkey -- RR or RB, which is preferred?

GlennB
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm still pretty much a newbie here, but I'm enjoying learning.

Which of these 2 Wild Turkey products, Russells Reserve (RR) or Rare Breed (RB), is considered the better of the two? And, is there more than one version of each, i.e, different proofs, different aging? If so, which is preferred?

By the way, I'm still hoping to come across a bottle of Four Roses SB.

Thanks,

Glenn

I wouldn't say one is "better" than the other, just different. The RB tends toward the dry side of the spectrum, while the RR is sweeter. Both are well worth getting. :drink:

And, is there more than one version of each, i.e, different proofs, different aging?

There have been two versions of RR-101 which has been discontinued and the 90 which replaced it

RB is a small batch that is bottled at barrel proof and therefore varies slightly in proof.

While the RR 101 is the preferred around here both are excellent drams-as are all WT products. RB again varies slightly from batch to batch, but is consistently excellent.

I will say that both are excellent bourbons, but my preference has always leaned to Rare Breed.

Tim

I'll second that. I find the RB to be slightly more complex and usually "better" but all the Turkey's are great. I enjoy looking for the differences. The similarities are very evident. By the way, I'm finding the current RB (WT03RB?) to be the best in quite some time. A really good batch!

Ken

How weird to see this question crop up since it was only yesterday that I tried the two of them, side by side.

Despite its higher proof, I find RB to be more gentle in its approach. RR, on the other hand, is kind of rough and sophisticated at the same time.

Where they both shine the brightest are in the finish. Peppery milk chocolate with RR and toasty liquorice with RB.

In my view, you should definitely try both!

N.B. it has to be stated that in recent years, the only RB batch I have sampled is the W-T-01-99. It´s the only version that seems to be shipped to Sweden (will it ever run out?). So my view may be somewhat distorted. Also, I haven´t tried the 90 proof version of RR, yet.

In all fairness to RB, I have yet to try it. So, at this point in time I am rather jaded toward RR but only the 101 variety mind you. I flat-out refuse to participate in or support any sale of the red-haired stepsister: RR Nine-Zero

I flat-out refuse to participate in or support any sale of the red-haired stepsister: RR Nine-Zero

I couldnt have said it better. Wait I did say that LOL. By the way RB is a bit more a fav of mine but RR101 is still a great pour

Joe

Not to discount RR as a very good bourbon, RB is wonderful. What I like about it most is that it has a very distinctive taste compared to any other bourbon I've tried.

Wild Turkey 101 is 12.99 for a 750 at Rite-Aid right now. That is all.

In that case, tell me how to get there from Tennessee and I will put away my RR for a while. The best I have found it around here is $17.99. Don't know if it is worth the trip unless I bring back a load......and, that would not make the THP too happy. So, I guess I'll keep stockpiling the RR101 for now. Also, I will pick up a RB in the near future so I can fully participate in the original question.

Recently picked up a Rare Breed at the Ontario Liquor Board. It is 54.1% ABV, Batch No. WT-03RB.

This is so much better than the last few RB's I bought (the last one was a couple of years ago). Those seemed dominated by a raw young whiskey taste. This current one is much suaver, it has older whiskey in it, clearly (the 12 year old making itself evident). Both in the taste and nose it has that "fruity/medicinal" taste which the best straight whiskey has (ORVW 12 year old rye and the earlier bottlings of ORVW 13 year old have it too, part of it comes from the rye grains).

It is a very skilful mingling, the kind I try to emulate.

Recently too I had a sip at a tasting station of Blanton Gold. This was also very good, a little drier and less heavy than RB but as good in its way with again that signature fruity note - almost a papaya-like finish, it's hard to describe - again it struck me as better than earlier bottles I have tried.

That taste is (another way to say it) like a ripe apple, like what Charles Thomason was writing about in the 1960's.

This RB is as good as bourbon gets. It has a heavy rich round complex taste with no ragged edges other than the natural ethanol heat as it goes down.

A winner, I'm getting another one. :)

Gary

Wild Turkey 101 is 12.99 for a 750 at Rite-Aid right now. That is all.

Are you the one that grabbed all those bottles that had the 50ml sampler of RB attached to the 750ml WT 101 for only $12.99?!?! I checked 3 Rite Aids on Valley View tonite and all were gone! I knew someone else was onto this gem. A truly fantastic deal with that Rare Breed sampler attached, I managed to only get one! And just wasn't on the ball enough - ok I was actually working too much to get out and find more!

For anyone who missed that, not only was the WT 101 onsale at Rite Aid for $12.99, but they had a 50ML BOTTLE OF WT RARE BREED HUNG FROM THE NECK as a sampler - on some bottles. I am not kidding you I spent the very little time I had after work a few days checking about 10 different stores and only found ONE of these beauties! Sweetmeats isn't far from where I work so I am suspecting he grabbed a few of these. I am a huge fan of WT 101 especially at 12.99, but give me a free pour of RB and I am a rabid homicidal fan at that price!!! I am not kidding you some of these stores were completely cleaned out of any WT!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I've heard a lot here about RB from the WT-03 batch being very good & favored by other SB.com folk. Today, I found a couple of bottles of what appears to be older RB that is marked "WT-01-99" on a semi-dusty shelf of a store that has recently changed ownership and reopened. While I realize there is much more uniformity with RB than KS, anyone know anything good or bad about this older batch? If there is positive feedback on it, I am considering the purchase for monetary reasons as well. The price is $30.99 which is $4-6 less per bottle than anywhere else in my locale.....well, just about anywhere. Just south of me in Mississippi, there is a store that sells it for $28.50 and they have a lower tax rate as well.....a lot better than our 9.25% - Da*#it!!!! But, by the time I spend $5 gas going down there & back, I might as well take these while they are available.

Thanx for any help!!

I've heard a lot here about RB from the WT-03 batch being very good & favored by other SB.com folk. Today, I found a couple of bottles of what appears to be older RB that is marked "WT-01-99" on a semi-dusty shelf of a store that has recently changed ownership and reopened. While I realize there is much more uniformity with RB than KS, anyone know anything good or bad about this older batch? If there is positive feedback on it, I am considering the purchase for monetary reasons as well.

I believe that every bottle of RB I have ever had is from the WT-01-99 "batch" and RB has always been one of my Top 10 favorites. I would like to get a sample of the touted new batch, but I will be sad when this one eventually disappears.

Tim

This evening I was shopping at Safeway, the only full-line grocery in our little town. They have a better selection of spirits and wine than the only local liquor store, which in turn beats them in regard to craft beer.

Because of recent remodeling I was somewhat lost and wandered into the liquor aisle. Reduced-price tags on the WT shelf caught my eye, and before I knew I was fondling a bottle of Rare Breed -- even though I have two unopened -99's here at home. On a whim I reached a little farther back, and there were several bottles of the -03 batch. Recalling this thread I decided I had to have one of the new batch.

Later this evening I'm planning to depart from custom and open one of each bottling. I've actually been trying to reduce the number of open bottles lately. Oh well . . .

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I came across a bottle from the 91 batch, anybody have any experience with that? It wasn't cheap at 40 but thought about it...

I, myself, prefer the RB to the RR 101. I like the '03 better than the '99 which means that I really, really like the '03 as the '99 is top notch.

Let us know what you think, Dave.

Ed

Later this evening I'm planning to depart from custom and open one of each bottling. I've actually been trying to reduce the number of open bottles lately. Oh well . . .

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Please hold on to your plan, Dave! I´ve never tried the -03 batch so it should be really interesting to hear your take. :)

I opened the -03 last night. All I can say at this point is that it is better than my memory of the -99 version.

It took me a few sips to become accustomed to the intensity. Then the familiar floral and honey notes came to the fore. My first impression is that it's less harsh from the alcohol than before.

My next step will be to open one of the -99's I've had stashed a while. I'll probably alternate between the two bottlings a couple of times before I try to taste them head-to-head.

In keeping with the original title of this thread, I also intend to compare one or both to Russell's Reserve 101 (even though it is nearing extinction), which I've drunk often lately. My first impression is that RB -03 has less oak (or leather, as I think some people describe it) than RR 101, which in turn has none of the floral and honey notes of the RB.

BTW, here is a dialogue on this same topic. At that time I apparently preferred Russell's Reserve. I may find that my taste has changed since then.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

While I like all three (RB, RR101 and RR90), Rare Breed would have to be my favorite. RR101, while nice enough, to me was always trying to be like Kentucky Spirit, but never quite measuring up. RR90 is good bourbon, but it's fairly unremarkable IMHO. Rare Breed is like Kentucky Spirit's alter-ego: Whereas KS is full of vanilla and caramel with a slight sweetness, RB is spicy and drier with leather and tobacco notes IIRC. I'm ashamed to say I don't have either open at the moment, but I do have some RR90, and any Wild Turkey is better than no Wild Turkey! :yum:

Very well put, Jeff, I agree completely.

I'd add that a little familiarity with Kentucky Spirit shows it to be a little woody, and that can pall. It's the same thing that maybe Dave in Arizona noticed with WT 12 year old.

The genius of RB, if well vatted, which the current RB-03WT is, is the proportion of younger whiskey prevents excess woodiness.

Some of the current bottlings of RB, while all are good, differ one from the other albeit they are from the same batch. I did a tasting of three bottles, and my friends Gary Hodder and Les Piller agreed with me on this. Why this is I don't know, but given the chance to take any RB of the current batch over any other WT product, I'd take the RB.

Gary

I opened one of my long-stashed bottles of the -99 batch of Rare Breed tonight. I hardly recognized it as the same bourbon. Well, technically I suppose it isn't the same bourbon. As others have said, I find the -03 much more enjoyable.

When I've had more time to collect my thoughts, I'll probably start a new thread in this forum, dedicated to just these two bottlings of Rare Breed.

First impressions: When it first enters the glass, the -99 has a grassy (or maybe grape leaf) nose with a hint of something like anise or even wild onion -- not pleasant at all. The palate and finish are more Turkey-like than the -03, with distinct leather. The floral and honey notes are all but totally submerged.

The nose changes after 30 minutes in the glass, allowing some of the honey to peek through.

Although I vastly prefer the -03 at first blush, I can imagine that someone who likes complexity for its own sake might prefer the -99. There's certainly much to study. In my own case it will take a very long time for me to finish my current bottle, much less the one more I have in the bunker.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.