Pick A Beam

Joeluka
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I picked up a bottle of Jim Beam Black yesterday and had a pour of it last night. Is it just me? I noticed a strong aftertaste of SOAP! It bothered me so much that I went and got a different glass and rinsed it even though it was clean- and the SOAP taste was still there. Perhaps it was what I ate for dinner that influenced my taste? Any one else notice this or is it just me?

Thanks

Actually I do not know about soap but I know I didn't like it. It reminded me a little bit like Jack Daniels and I'm not a fan of that at all.

I was going to give it another shot and see but I haven't done so yet, too many other open bourbons that I love right now. I'll give it another shot one day and we'll see.

OGD114 for me, too.

I quite enjoy Beam Black, though, and often bring it to parties and such, even though I then have to endure the inevitable razzing for bringing what people perceive as a "well" bourbon. I wish the bottle had a bit more style.

Tim,

I agree with your conclusion and your rationale, and I'm surprised that such a small minority of us agree in this matter.

I had forgotten about this thread, but last night as I emptied a bottle of the 8 yr/86 proof, the only variety I've had, I was struck by how good it tasted. One glass invited another until there wasn't any more. There was little subtlety of the kind that may tax one's ability to describe nuances of flavor, just corn, caramel and char in proper proportion. If anything, I might say it's a little too sweet for some occasions, but never cloyingly so.

Elsewhere in this thread is the mention of a soap taste, which is totally foreign to my experience, which includes a half dozen bottles. When I see such a comment, I always wonder whether the sample in question was tainted or the correspondent's tasting apparatus actually differs from mine.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I also quite enjoy Jim Beam Black, as I said in many threads here...As a "beginner" whose entry steps were taken with Jim Beam and Jim Beam Black, I like both, but enjoy the latter very very much. Last night I had a glass of it, and enjoyed again :)

All this talk about everyone loving OGD 114 made me open my bottle and I agree. It is a very good pour and will be poured far more often in my home now. Thanks for the push to open it everybody.

OGD 114 has gotten ia lot of attention in this thread, looks like it has more votes than either Baker's or Booker's. It is interesting to note that in the "Top Ten Whiskies" thread elsewhere, OGD 114 is not shown in Todd's total table, while both Booker's and Baker's are in the top ten (the table currently shows 17 leaders). Probably just that some aren't responding in both threads. To which I plead guilty; just now voted in the "Top Ten" thread.

I really do think OGD 114 is pretty well under the radar, even here. Just as well, I guess; keeps the price down.

Bob

Last night I kept thinking that JB Black more closely resembled Baker's than it does any other member of the Beam line-up. Tonight I revisited my bottle of Baker's, which I suppose has been open at least two years, with less than a quarter of the bottle remaining.

The resemblance is there, all right. At first I thought that the difference was solely based on the difference in proof, 107 vs. 86. However, even with significant dilution to bring the two intensities approximately equal, the Baker's still had greater depth. The difference was most pronounced in the finish. Taken neat the Baker's robust finish seemed to last forever; with dilution the effect was similar in duration but less intense.

Considering the price difference I still say JB Black is a better buy. However, one should live it up once in a while. If these two bourbons were the only two available to me, I'd buy about three bottles of JB Black to every one of Baker's, and I'd always be looking forward to Baker's week.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Update on my SOAPY JB Black experience:

Last night I thought I would give it another try. This time the finish/aftertaste was more like OAK and not SOAP. So, I guess my palate was just off the other night. So the conclusion of my opinion on JBB is that it is a great everyday/bargain choice for a bourbon. I should confess, although, that I am spoiled with the premium bourbons here in NC: ETL, Knob Creek, Eagle Rare, WTRB, EWSB. Haven't yet tried RR101, Bookers. I don't particularly care for: Blanton's (too expensive for what you get IMHO), BH (same), Baker's (just didn't agree with me, shall try again a few months later- sometimes this can be surprising)

Okay, just to be different, since no one has mentioned it:

OLD OVERHOLT

Seriously, of the Beam bourbons, I'd go with Booker's, but I've never had Baker's. I guess I'll have to get some.

OGD is one of my favorites and my "everyday" bourbon, but even in the 114 expression I don't think it has that special "oomph" that Booker's does. (And I don't think that's just due to more alcohol, either.)

Technically not going off tangent here:

Heaven Hill 10 yo, or old HH 100 BIB being Parker Beam creations work VERY well for me.

Beam Black works for me if you are talking brands though...

I'd gone off Beam products for a while, having tried Basil Hayden (weak), Bakers (one dimentional) Bookers (too strong), Knob Creek (liked it but sweet), and Black Beam (not bad, but lacked depth). I found that I vastly preferred EWSB or BT products - any of them!

Recently I went back and tried Bookers again and was deeply impressed. Well worth the money, and a REALLY good pour. At C$80 or $90 however, I have to contrast this with how I feel about Knob Creek at C$40. Both I find "heavy" bourbons, and I have to be in the mood for them. Black Beam I like, but I'm not blown away by the stuff.

If my feet were put to the fire, I'd have to vote Knob Creek with Bookers supplanting it if I got a better paying job. As a side note, I really do want to go back and see if my tastes have changed enough that I may have a different opinion of Beam products in general.

I have not found any OGD 114 in Ohio, but on frequent trips to Sharon, Pa. I have gotten bottles at the liquor store there. If you can find one of the super stores in Pa.(there is one in Hermitage about 3-4 miles on the main road out of Sharon in the K-Mart plaza) they have a decent selection of bourbon. Have found Antique collection as well as other BTD products there. PDLC has a website that you can search for brands by county, store and even statewide. Thomas

Okay, I tried Black Beam again yesterday. It no longer reminds me of Jack Daniels and I did enjoy it. However, while enjoyable I found that it lacked character. I would drink again but it is not one of my favorites.

I've been eyeing a bottle of OGD114 but have not tried it. Of the Beam's I've tasted thus far, Booker's is the most memorable and the one I seem to enjoy the most. That's not to say that won't change with subsequent pours, but right now, it's Booker's. I find it very full, bold, and packed with flavor, without being overwhelming due to the proof. I usually enjoy my bourbon neat, or with a touch of water in the case of Bookers. But the other night at dinner, I ordered one on the rocks. It held up very well to melting ice and made for a very tasty and refreshing drink. Too bad my judgement got away from me and I had two. That sort of proof catches up to you quickly.

Jim Beam 7YO. Its the best because it has a nice flavor and does not try to be too premium like the black. Last I tried it was better than the 4YO. It is not dark in color. If I want something with more of that expensive taste, I'll get Wild Turkey.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.