Manhattan's Anyone?

SBOmarc
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Jeff, I agree about JB Rye. It makes a great Manhattan, as well as a great Sazerac. You could pay more, but you don't have to. Just a great whiskey.

That article was useful, Tim. And Jeff Renner's recipe is good, too. It seems most of us agree on the basics: good bourbon or rye helps (but a Manhattan flexibly will work with most straight whiskey); 3:1 seems close to ideal since it enhances the whiskey taste and does not hide it; bitters add a tang; and the quality of the vermouth matters. There is an exception to my not using ice, which is for summer cocktails. Even then though I often dispense with it. The touch of orange is something I do too sometimes. I sometimes use orange bitters or mixed orange bitters and Angostura or Peycheaud. An orange zest works too. I never add cherry juice, I think it does not help the mixture but the very little escaping from the cherry itself seems not to hurt. It is a classic drink but as many have said here and as applies to the Sazerac, for the true enthusiast it is one best made at home. One is enough (especially for dieters) and often I don't finish it or my wife does. I like the few initial sips and it is a satiating cocktail although if I don't finish it usually I'll have some beer or wine with dinner.

Gary

I ordered a Manhattan at a bar last night. I took a sip and asked the bartender what he made it with and he said Imperial Whiskey. I told him not to ever use that again.

I sometimes use orange bitters or mixed orange bitters and Angostura or Peycheaud. An orange zest works too. I never add cherry juice, I think it does not help the mixture but the very little escaping from the cherry itself seems not to hurt. It is a classic drink but as many have said here and as applies to the Sazerac, for the true enthusiast it is one best made at home.

My very first Manhattan......WT Rye was the base with Stock Vermouth and Peychaeud bitters. I'll have to try the orange ideas. I did add a dash of the cherry juice last night - I liked the cherry taste coming through, It was a touch sweet but good. A nice change of pace.

One is enough (especially for dieters) and often I don't finish it or my wife does.

You coulda mentioned that sooner! Had two last night. Ouch!:lol:

I wish I had had shared this wonderful concoction with him when he was alive.

I don't know that my father ever really tried Manhattans but it is something I would have enjoyed sharing with him as well.

It continues to be my favorite cocktail - actually, the only one I really enjoy aside from an occasional martini.

I generally do not like cocktails. This one is a keeper.

I prefer them "up," but find that I can pace myself better with them on the rocks.

As mentioned above... Could told me sooner:shocked:

Ken

Here's my favorite Manhattan recipe:

2 oz Rittenhouse BIB

1/2 oz Vya Sweet Vermouth

1/2 oz Vya Dry Vermouth

Few Healthy Dashes orange bitters (Regan's or Fee, sometimes equal parts)

Stir in cocktail shaker with ice 100 times, pour into chilled glass, garnish with twist of lemon peel. yum

I finish off each shift at the store with a cocktail lesson for employees. I taught them the Sazerac last night using the new young Sazerac rye. It was amazing! I've been on a mission to teach bartenders in the area how to make a good Sazerac. It's working! Just got a bar to put it on their drink menu. I still need to try one with cognac since that was the original ingredient in it, but I find it hard to believe it's gonna beat out my good American whiskey.

I've been on a mission to teach bartenders in the area how to make a good Sazerac. It's working! Just got a bar to put it on their drink menu. I still need to try one with cognac since that was the original ingredient in it, but I find it hard to believe it's gonna beat out my good American whiskey.
Based on my experience, you'll probably want to use a bit less of the bitters in a cognac-based Sazerac, and it would probably work better with a younger, more aggressive cognac. I usualy use four dashes of Peychaud's in my Sazeracs, but the cognac version really only needed two - the four dashes of bitters almost drowned out the cognac (Pierre Ferrand Reserve) I was using.

And I thought your FAVORITE would have the King Eider vermouth. Guess I have to take it back to the store and trade it for Vya then.......just kidding. Already packed and ready to head to the Sampler!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.