Entertaining Friends/Family with Primo Bourbon

JamesH007
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I usually ask guests what they have already tried as far as brands. All my friends know I have a vast selection of bourbon but most aren't real familiar beyond a few popular brands. I usually give them small samples and work up the list. Sometimes they bring bottles over that others have recommended and we try them. I have my favorites but I let others decide for themselves. I usually open up my entire bar on Thanksgiving and Christmas. It is generally my immediate family and it isn't generally party central, just a nice casual get together. I let them pick wharever they want!

Thomas

Dahlrod

My 90% statement should be kept in context with the content of the my original post in which it was contained.

I think your greatly over estimating the abilities of most people whom drink bourbon. Clearly most people whom post on this board make up a part of that 10% that can taste some difference. I didn't say that only 10% of people on here could taste the difference.

However, I would be interested to see some tasting event results just too see how well our SB population can really do.

Here is a thread about just such an event. It's a long one, with lots of talk about getting organized, but there's a payoff at the end.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Maybe I went through that thread too fast, but how did Chuck end up doing with his winning effort. Was he like 95%, 80%, 65%, 50%, 30%.......right? How good was the winner in this event?

Hi Dave,

I noticed you brought up the thread proclaiming, Chuck Cowdery as the very first "Bourbonian Taster of the Year" :grin: :grin: :grin:

The very first name plate has been engraved with;

Charles K. Cowdery

Chicago Ill

It's really cool :grin: :grin: I will bring the "traveling trophy" to the Sampler. It will be on display for all to dream, with high hopes of having their name engraved in the next brass plate :grin: :grin: :grin:

As you know, We are planning another party during the KBF this year :grin: :grin: :grin: Same place, same sceneraio...I invited Dominic Roskrow (Whiskey Magazine) to come to our party...He has accepted :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

I am proud to have him visit with us again :grin: :grin:

Bettye Jo

The bottle with the turkey on the label is the 101 proof - and if you see any, snag it, since it isn't made anymore. Much has been said here about WT dropping the proof to 90. :deadhorse:

Crispy,

Thanks for the advice, I did notice my error already, have compared the two with a positive favor for the 101, and am heading over to the store tonight to pick up the two dusty bottles I left behind. :)

• 1 month later...

I had an interesting twist on the original question happen last night. I had several business associates over for pre dinner drinks. Two guys were interested in sampling some of the collection, one of them a reasonably well rounded Bourbonian, and the other a Bourbon newbie. After taking them through the collection I offered them their choice of anything. Neither guy could or would make a selection, so I decided for them. Pappy 23.

One guy had a near orgasmic experience and the other guy thought it was merely "interesting". Had I dumbed down the selection for the newbie to a Jefferson Reserve or Kentucky Spirit, his experience probably would have been the same and I would have a lot more Pappy 23 left in my bottle. On the other hand the other guy would have never had the great experience he had with something off the middle shelves. Overall, I think it was worth it.

Kudos to Rob for sharing his good stuff...

As a newbie to bourbon tasting, i would always be appreciative of someone sharing the good stuff so I could expand my tasting experiences. Likewise, I would offer anything I had to someone willing to give it an honest try.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.