Technical question: Proof and barrel age?

arsbadmojo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've been pondering this for a long time, and this looks like the perfect place to ask.....

Bourbon, as it ages in the barrel - some volume is lost. The portion that remains - becomes higher in proof. I have read this over and over, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Seems it should be opposite.

Doesn't alcohol have a higher vapor pressure than water?

Also has a larger molecule, hence the water leaves first thru the barrel.

Joe

I did think of that, like helium balloon deflating faster than a plain air filled, but I didn't think either molecule would have too much trouble.

There have been threads on this before, including posts by at least one chemist among us. I tried a search, but I couldn't come up with the right parameters.

The "larger molecule" theory could only be true if the molecules somehow shrink in Scotland, where, as I understand it, proofs go down with age.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Interesting that I had just put up a link to this last night in another thread, so here's the link again.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/ubbthreads-6.5/showthread.php?t=4446&page=3

Oh wow, thanks hadn't seen that - and didn't know it had been discussed before. Lots of info in that thread. So Scotch actually decreases proof with age? Man, I love learning something new....

Off topic, but I take it you're a Bengals fan? :grin:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.