Jose Cuervo Black?

brian12069
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There's some chatter going on about it on mumpsimous forum (tequila) and it's not good. Tequilas are often aged in oak casks to get some aging benefits. This one is not 100% agave from what those posters have said, and that's usually one indicator of quality

There's some chatter going on about it on mumpsimous forum (tequila) and it's not good. Tequilas are often aged in oak casks to get some aging benefits. This one is not 100% agave from what those posters have said, and that's usually one indicator of quality

Agave?...and that's metric for???

Agave is the plant they make tequila from. Good tequila is 100% BLUE agave and Cuervo doesn't fit that description.

They are trying to use clever marketing and call the JC Black a 100% anejo tequila. That still is not 100% blue agave, so it's just another JC mixto.

I haven't tried it, nor do I pan to. I am pretty sure it won't be very good.

They are trying to use clever marketing and call the JC Black a 100% anejo tequila. That still is not 100% blue agave, so it's just another JC mixto.

I haven't tried it, nor do I pan to. I am pretty sure it won't be very good.

The very fact that we are talking about it is a testament to Cuervo's marketing prowess. Black is a mixto, which is akin to a blended whisk(e)y where 51% is the real deal and 49% is "other." Evangelos is right, they are literally trying to fool us.

It would be like creating a bourbon blend and calling it "straight-ahead bourbon whiskey" or somesuch. Misleading at best. I was no fan of Cuervo before this (except for the Reserva Familia, which is so pricey I have only had it once), and this pretty much does it for me.

For $25.00 a liter it's worlds better that JC Gold. I made a couple of mixed cocktails with it and for the price it was good. Would I enjoy it neat:puke: never!!!!!!!

It's very sad that bad tequila and horrible hangovers are what JC is bestknown for. It is sad because they also make one of the finest tequilas IMO. The JC Reserva de la Familia is absolutely amazing. I have gone through a few bottles already and am on my 4th. They have been producing a new bottle each year (since 1995) with a decorative box designed/painted by a differnt mexican artist. I know it costs $80, but it's remarkable. If you have the money and like tequila OR want to try a REAL tequila and have some extra cash, give it a try.

It's very sad that bad tequila and horrible hangovers are what JC is bestknown for. It is sad because they also make one of the finest tequilas IMO. The JC Reserva de la Familia is absolutely amazing. I have gone through a few bottles already and am on my 4th. They have been producing a new bottle each year (since 1995) with a decorative box designed/painted by a differnt mexican artist. I know it costs $80, but it's remarkable. If you have the money and like tequila OR want to try a REAL tequila and have some extra cash, give it a try.

If your ok with spending $80-$120 on Tequila I recommend Don Julio 1942 and El Tesero Paradiso as well as the JC Reserva. Both of them are out of this world. If your ok with spending $250 I highly recommend Herraduro Selection Supreme. This is one of the best spirits I've ever had the pleasure to drink, and as a bonus for us Buffalo Trace Fans its distributed by the Sazerac Co.

I'm afraid that Cuervo Gold put me off of tequila - fortunately, it was just a miniature. As for the new Cuervo Black, I've seen it in the whiskey aisle in more than one store, nestled up with the bourbons. A marketing ploy, perhaps?

I would guess that Cuervo is trying to compete with Commemorativo, a Sauza product which is a mixto, but aged (an anjeo).

I think they are targeting this whole "black is in thing". Trying to get people to order JC Black and coke just like JD and coke or rather JC Black on the rocks, like JW Black on the rocks. The Sauza Con I do not see in many bars at all so it may be similar contents, but I think JC is going a different route with this new product of theirs.

BTW, Sauza Con is NOT very good for sipping. It's only acceptable in margaritas or other mixed drinks.

I guess it depends on your pocketbook. I like it neat, and the price I find acceptable as opposed to 100% agave tequilas at the LCBO. At $40 for Commemprativo, $50 for Tradicional, $100 for Cabo Wabo Reposado, and $100 for Patron Anjeo at the LCBO, you see why I would be reluctant to buy at higher than $50 (all cdn $).

As a brief aside, I think it's interesting that we're talking about tequila at a bourbon website. Interesting because one of the things I love about Straight Boubon is it's reasonable price point. Bourbon is accesable to almost everyone. Good bourbon is just a shade more expensive. Single malts and tequila on the other hand are much more expensive and will more often give me pause before purchase.

Most of my tequila discussion I conduct on the mumpsimous forum, but I won't steer away from tequila talk even if it is on a bourbon forum!

If you want, join that the tequila forum. Currently many forum members are on a trip down to Mexico to tour the distilleries. I couldn't go. :( It'll be a slow week on the tequila forum, but when they get back I am sure there will be a lot to talk about.

I actually tried to join, but was rejected - I think - due to signing up from a hotmail account. Too bad.

Yes I have seen you on that site Evangelos. I guess what kind of tequila you'd go for depends on your standards. Being an enthusiest, I could see you being willing to spend $$ on tequila. Me, I've got family going on vacation every year, and they always bring back something reasonably priced to enjoy. Usually, I go for 1921 single barrel @ $50 cdn/bottle, but this year I also got Don Julio Blanco and Anjeo. REALLY want to try El Tesoro Anjeo from all the chatter on mumpsimous forum. Got the ET blanco, but haven't cracked it open yet.

El Tesoro anejo (ETA) is one the great tequilas especially for the price. I get it for $37 USD regularly and it's excellent! Amazing agave notes and it's handmade in the older style rather than with the new sleeker equipment. ET Paradiso is also excellent, but near $100 USD a bottle.

El Tesoro anejo (ETA) is one the great tequilas especially for the price. I get it for $37 USD regularly and it's excellent!

I got the El Tesoro Blanco for about $25 cdn (about $22 US) in Puerto Valarta. I wonder if the ETA is as cheap as you quote over there...

Before today I've only had tequila about 5 times, 3 times in cocktails and twice neat. The neat ones were expensive brands at the Tasting Tower at LCBO, gold and white of the same maker (I liked the white better it had a cleaner richer taste I thought).

Today I bought 4 Copas Tequila Blanc (100% blue agave) and a tequila-like spirit made in South Africa just released here, Agava Sunrise Silver. The latter is all-blue agave too. Blue agave was introduced for agricultural reasons in a desert area in SA some years ago and later someone thought to make a tequila substitute from it.

The SA one was $30 (CAN) and the Mexican one more than double that. The SA one is 43% abv and triple distilled, the 4 Copas is double-distilled and 40%.

The nose of the SA one is kind of earthy, vegetal, kind of dull really (but then I have almost no experience with tequila). The 4 Copas has a much more interesting nose, rich, winy, complex. But maybe the tastes will be different, I'll have to see. I will taste them later tonight and report back here.

I don't intend to focus much more on tequila but thought I'd buy a decent one (4 Copas is I believe a good quality 100% blue agave) and see how close the South African one got to that. I chose two white ones in order to compare like to like, e.g., there was a darker 4 Copas, probably aged longer, but I thought that wouldn't be a fair comparison.

Gary

Hidden

Well I tasted them both.

I'll deliver a review of uncommon brevity: South Africa, not a bad effort, but you've got a long way to go.

Gary

Okay, I've tasted both and am trying to express my feelings about them, which is not easy because I do not know very much at all about tequila.

Assuming it is fair to compare these products (i.e., that they are more or less in the same category which is silver 100% blue agave tequila), the Mexican one to my mind outclasses the South African product by a good margin. The South African one has a taste similar to the nose: somewhat earthy, a little "closed", withal vegetal. The 4 Copas has a strong winy taste and flavor, much like its nose, with earthy tangs but with more complexity than the other product. Of course the Mexican one cost me twice what the South African one did, so perhaps the South African product is more comparable to silver blue agave Mexican products which are closer in price to what I paid for the South African.

I think the one I tasted at the Tasting Tower was Patron both Silver and Gold which were very good and comparable to 4 Copas I thought.

I think, assuming the Agava from South Africa is aiming at the market of, say, a 4 Copas, it has a way to go yet.

I am not sure what I should use the Agava for. I don't think I will enjoy drinking it straight. Maybe I'll mix it with grapefruit juice.

Gary

I think the one I tasted at the Tasting Tower was Patron both Silver and Gold which were very good and comparable to 4 Copas I thought.

Gary

Hi Gary:

Hats off for your willingness to try tequila seriously. FYI, the Summerhill store has JC Reserva de la Familia and Corazon Blanco at the tasting tower. Other than this, other tasting towers at the LCBO usually only have Patron.

One small point of clarification - you refered to Patron silver and gold. In the tequila world, "gold" refers to tequila (usually blanco) that has significant caramel thrown in to camaflage substandard tequila. Anjeo refers to tequila that has been aged for at least one year in a cask of less than (is it 220 liters?). Some producers have used the term "gold" interchangably with Reposado or Anjeo, but if they are reputable (ie Herradurra) we know they mean aged without caramel. I think you are refering to Patron Anjeo in your quote.

I'm very impressed that you have outlayed this kind of $$ to find out about tequila! There is some chatter on mumpsimous forum about the South African stuff - not good chatter! I don't think your tastes put you in the minority...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.