Paradox closing shop?

wadewood
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I think Mark, user (former?) on this board as Paradox, is selling off his bunker on ebay. An Old Man Winter 25 YO is up right now. Search on ebay for seller paradox300m. It is a large collection.

I saw it and the list of his bunker contents. Quite impressive. Why the massive selloff?

Congrats! Too bad he has to sell off such a beautiful bunker, but I totally understand.

Its funny that the reason I started drinking bourbon is the same reason he's selling. :slappin:

I think Mark, user (former?) on this board as Paradox, is selling off his bunker on ebay. An Old Man Winter 25 YO is up right now. Search on ebay for seller paradox300m. It is a large collection.

Wane,

Real impressive. This is definitely the one I would set as the number 1 on my want list:

George T. Stagg Fall 02’ Original Release

But here are some more I really am interested in:

Woodside Partners Reserve – Bottling done by Julian for a restaurant in California 92.4 Proof 17 yo Distilled 6/10/85 bottled 10/9/02

• Van Winkle Family Reserve 17 yo - Old Bottling for Japan Only 101 proof

• Society of Bourbon Connoisseurs Dec 1980 – Mar 2001 108.4 Proof Export Only – Done by Julian

• Society of Bourbon Connoisseurs Dec 1980 – Mar 2001 112.2 Proof Export Only – Done by Julian

Labrot & Graham President’s Choice Export Only 100.4 Proof

Ancient Age Barrel 107 proof 10 year old Limited Edition

And here are one that look interesting but I don’t know so much about it:

Old Rip Van Winkle Sam’s bottling 133.4 Proof only 60 bottles done. 5 and 6 of 60

Due to the proof it should be a real old bourbon Do anyone know the age and distillery of this one?.

Leif

SInce these are going on EBAY the prices are going to be crazy. Would anybody go as far as to pay $200-$250 for a 2002 GTS? You know thats whats its going to go for on EBAY. Is it worth it??

SInce these are going on EBAY the prices are going to be crazy. Would anybody go as far as to pay $200-$250 for a 2002 GTS? You know thats whats its going to go for on EBAY. Is it worth it??

Is it worth it? Heck, no -- but, as you say, that's what it's going to go for. And it's probably not going to get any cheaper down the road.

i saw one, on ebay, about 10 months ago, go for a bit north of $300.

When it'll bring enough to cover a semester of grad school, it's on its way out the door:lol:

If will be very interesting to know if he realizes some real appreciation, i.e., return on investment. I hope he does. More power to him.

i saw one, on ebay, about 10 months ago, go for a bit north of $300.

Well, there´s an old (Swedish?) proverbial that says : "a fool and his money are soon to be separated". :)

I would wager a good amount of money that he will make a good return on investment. Some of these bottles are going to go for a lot of money. The bourbon collectors market may be small, but it is there. And when it comes to bottles like these, the market is strong.

Well, how about that? I didn't know my grandmother was Swedish! :grin:

Her version was as follows: A fool and his money are soon parted.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

trying to sell all that on ebay almost by the individual bottle is probably not the most fun thing to have to do.

maybe someone here can take out a 2nd mortgage and buy the lot!

Her version was as follows: A fool and his money are soon parted.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Hrm, I struggled with the wording on that one. Would you say that "soon to be separated" implies another meaning than "parted"? For a short while I fancied "A fool and his money will soon part company" but somehow that didn´t seem to struck the right note for me.

I'd say the literal meanings of the two different expressions are identical.

In what language did you first hear this bit of wisdom? If it was in Swedish, then it's quite remarkable that the translation to English so nearly matches the way Grandma always said it.

To me the fascination lies in the fact that the underlying thought has become a maxim in far removed cultures.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I'd say the literal meanings of the two different expressions are identical.

In what language did you first hear this bit of wisdom? If it was in Swedish, then it's quite remarkable that the translation to English so nearly matches the way Grandma always said it.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Dave,

I definitely heard it first in Swedish. The Swedish wording of it comes across as somewhat oldfashioned so there´s no doubt that it is quite an old adage. Which, of course doesn´t eliminate the possibility that it could have been borrowed from the Anglo-Saxon world.

Oops! Another hijack completed! Bear with me, Jim. :blush:

I'm not quite sure but the name William Shakespeare keeps running through my feeble little mind when I read this thread. Any thespians out there that can tell me if this is actually from one of his works?

Then there's Poor Richard's Almanac written of course by Benjamin Franklin that is also tugging a bit. Could be that's where I remember it being referenced a long time ago. Of course that could be just where it was written down after being handed down.

Then again, after googling "a fool and his money" I find a reference possibly even to the Bible.

So many literary sources, so little time.....

In two different quotation books in Swedish they claim it to be "an old English adage".

Frustratingly, they do not reveal the source to this.

Whatever the origin, it seems to have spread very far. While surfing the net for info I even found it in Chinese.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.