Gentleman Jack

Guest **DONOTDELETE**
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Last week I purchased a bottle of Gentleman Jack. Having a long term relationship with Jack Daniels I found Gentleman Jack markedly different, quite smooth and enjoyable. Im still exploring the merits of this purchase but can recommend this to advocates Jack Daniels. I fully intend to acquire a bottle of Jack Daniels Single Barrel in the not too distant future to explore the merits of this also.

Now I reckon thats Great Mate - woof!

• 1 year later...

So how do you like JDSB by now?

I was sipping some last night, and I was struck by how it seems to taste different every time. Or is it just me?

Anyway, last night I was swirling some in a brandy snifter, trying to force myself to come up with one of those Linn Spencer-ish descriptors, when suddenly it hit me: the faintest hint of red raspberries. Could it be? I swirled and sniffed again. At just the right, critical distance from the glass, there it was again. Amazing!

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Retiree, Musician, Dog-Lover, Whiskey-Drinker

Gentleman Jack is my favourate JD product. To me, the single barrel tastes like a very good version of the basic JD, but Gentleman tastes like a completely different animal. Smooth as you say. It is interesting that it tastes less sooty to me than other JDs, despite having gone through the Lincoln County process twice.

Perhaps I should have added that I was using a brandy snifter when I detected that hint of raspberry.

Yesterday I took a small sip in mid-afternoon, and I used a small, straight-sided whiskey glass. No raspberry. Puzzling.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Retiree, Musician, Dog-Lover, Whiskey-Drinker

• 6 months later...

The Tennessee whiskey forum isn't all that active, but I'm surprised that there aren't more posts on Gentleman Jack. Join in if you've tried it! I happened to receive a holiday gift set (standard 750ml and rocks glasses) of this for Christmas. I have been tempted to try it for a while, but it is priced higher than Jack black, which I think is over-priced anyway. These things are always better when somebody else buys them for you... wink.gif

I would say that the nose is quite different than the standard JD. Fairly sweet smelling, and perhaps not quite as strong. The taste is sweet with caramel and maple. The finish is very smooth and warming. I felt no need to add water or ice. I would say that the mouthfeel has more body than JD black. JD black seems kind of watery to me.

Overall, it is fairly good. I would recommend it over JD black, but it is not incredibly noteworthy. A very smooth sipping whiskey, not very complex or thought provoking. At that price range, I know that there are several good bourbons that are just as good or better, and in most cases cheaper.

Just my take,

Avery

Greetings, Avery!

Even though I left Kansas almost 30 years ago (back when the Cornhuskers always had a better football team than the Wildcats and the Jayhawks put together), I still get nostaligic. Come to think of it, I'm not sure why. grin.gif But I digress.

In a different thread a writer recently compared GJ and Wild Turkey 80 proof, prompting me to dust off my bottle of GJ. (Shortly after I got serious about trying as many whiskies as I could afford, I noticed that the JD products kept working there way closer to the back of the closet.) I have to confess that it tasted better than I remembered. However, to me its taste was as different from bourbon as scotch is.

Now your post (and others in this thead) suggests an interesting exercise. Not today but soon I will try a three-way comparison of JD No. 7 (from the very back of the closet), JDSB, and GJ. Notwithstanding the eventual outcome of that experiment, I agree with your conclusion about the value of GJ relative to similarly priced bourbons.

BTW, I too received a few years ago a gift set similar to the one you received. Those glasses are still my overall favorite for drinking whisk(e)y of all types. I especially like the feel of the thin rim, which is very smooth and has just the right amount of curvature to spread even a tiny sip across my tongue. The fact that they have a gold logo (which I assume is very fragile) has kept me from ruining the smooth finish by washing them in the dishwasher. If you have the same glasses, IMO you'll have to work hard to find anything better. (I confess I am even less knowledgeable about glassware than about whisk(e)y.)

Yours truly,

Dave "Ex-Wheatshocker" Morefield

Dave,

Kansas is indeed an interesting place, typically wildly conservative in all aspects. I've lived here all of my life, but it seems that I'm becoming increasingly aware of this. Most people have complained about the difficulty obtaining liquor here, particularly bourbon in the case of this forum, at one time or another, but I haven't found it to be too difficult. I can't get a lot of what is recommended here, but enough to keep me happy. My only complaint is, other than times that the liquor stores are open, are that the prices seem to be (very) inflated. I'm not for sure if that is because of distribution channels, the retailers, or something else.

I don't keep JD No. 7 on hand, but I may be persuaded to purchase a small bottle to participate in this experiment. I don't have JDSB, and don't plan on getting any, so I'll have to rely on your opinion wink.gif.

My first exposure to whiskey was JD No. 7. At the time I thought it was good, a little "smokey" in the finish perhaps, but still good. After spending time on this forum and trying some of the recommended bourbons, going back to No. 7 was disappointing. I felt that it was very watery and thin, not nearly as complex as most bourbons, and most of all, not worth the price. A side by side comparison will be interesting, but so far I've enjoyed GJ much more than No. 7. Tasting the No. 7 will probably just serve as a reference point smile.gif

The glasses in this set have a very solid base with ridges on the bottom. They are tapered towards the top, and have "Gentleman Jack" and the "What a Gentlman Should Know" tagline in frosted, etching-style lettering on the side. As you said, I definitely think that these glasses may be my new favorites. But, the only thing that I know about glassware is that I really don't have any smile.gif

As most know, I am a JD fan...especially the JDSB. This by far is the best of the three (great neat & 94 proof)! It to me is most similiar to fine bourbons. However, I am surprised you feel that Jack Black is watery compared to "The Gent"!? I like the taste of GJ,...I think due to the doubled-charcoal filtering, however at 80 proof it doesn't hold up to the 86 proof of Jack Black. It is much to thin....it is watery, and even enjoyed neat almost falls short. Again, I can have the best of both worlds with The Single Barrel...the flavor/body, and a thicker pour. See ya, H'wood cool.gif

Hollywood - I'm not criticizing JD or anything. I think it should be noted that I really don't know what I'm talking about grin.gif . I don't know much about tasting -- I either enjoy it or I don't. I do enjoy Jack black, it is a fine product, but the price tag on the last bottle that I bought (around September) says $20.99. At that price, I don't keep it on hand. I usually aim for the lower shelves. If they sold it down there, I'd buy it more often wink.gif.

That being said, I was comparing Gentleman Jack to Jack Black purely on memory, which has been a while and a few bourbons ago. I remember Jack Black to be thin, and Gentleman Jack seems different. I don't know if that is my memory playing tricks on me or not. I think I might buy a 375ml and do a real side by side comparison. I'd like to get a bottle JDSB, but it is way beyond my budgetary constraints at this point. Maybe around tax refund time smile.gif

Kansas, I didn't think you were criticizing at all. I just think if you choose to continue to drink the JD products you will find that the Single Barrel (if budget allows grin.gif ) is much better than both. If you have a notion try your comparison again....you are correct though...GJ is somewhat smoother,and sweeter than JackBlack. Again, I think you'll find the GJ a "little thin" once you've had a chance to "explore" some! The charcoal sugar maple filter sticks out on all of the JD products. If you like that, you'll love it...if you don't then mad.gif ! I think the Single Barrel is a first class product...and you are accurate in that it is a little pricier than the others! However, I think its worth it! laugh.gif If it hasn't been suggested to you already...all of the Wild Turkey products are worth the $, other affordable pours are Old Forester, and Old Charter just to name a couple. Welcome...See ya, H'wood cool.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

I do enjoy Jack black, it is a fine product, but the price tag on the last bottle that I bought (around September) says $20.99.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.