Gold in California

scratchline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've been out in LA for about a week now and I've been amazed by the number of old tax strip bottles I've come across in the little liquor stores that are scattered around. There's almost always something interesting.

I scored a 12 yr Wild Turkey in a little nondescript store near Rosemead. This is an early 80's bottle with the Beyond Duplication wood box and, until I tore it up, absolutely pristine Wild Turkey tissue wrapping up the bottle inside.

This was in addition to a '78 500 ml. bottle of 86 proof Old Overholt Rye distilled in PA and bottled in Ohio.

And then later in the day, in Beverlywood, I found a 1.75 bottle of the WT 86.8 proof from 1984, and, at a different store, an early 80's bottle of Eagle Rare 101.

Old Grandad 86 proof in old tax strip bottles is everywhere. And sometimes at less than 10 bucks a bottle. I'm glad I'll be working out here for 12 weeks.

-Mike

Nice score Mike! I suspect and partially confirmed this weekend when I was up "that way" the LA area is a bit better for hunting than O.C., but that gives me a little more hope to keep looking.....

The places I've visited haven't had a lot of the current top high end stuff like the Van Winkles or the Antique Collection, but they have had discontinued bottlings of familiar mid and lower shelf products. I've had to leave a lot behind, but I've made a mental note for coming weeks.

-Mike

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.