PAMA - Pomegranate Liqueur

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I want to encourage anyone who is interested in mixed drinks to try Heaven Hill's new PAMA pomegranate liqueur. I first sampled it at Cliff's house when Bettye Jo brought a bottle. I liked it so much I ran out this weekend and got one for the house. It's suprisingly dry for a liqueur, and I suspenct that's why I like it. I enjoy it at 3:1 bourbon to PAMA. Leslie likes it on ice and in a Champagne mimosa. It also makes a fine cosmopolitan. You can find out more about PAMA at the PAMA website.

I saw this also this weekend and after reading what I did from all you at the party I almost purchased it, but I was at a little overpriced store scouting for bourbon rarities; therefore I put it off figuring I'd probably find it for a bit less. I see Hi Time does have it so I'll plan on picking one up soon as I think it might be a nice additive in a Margarita or mixed with a good blanco (silver) tequila. Of course I'll try it with Bourbon also!!

I picked one up and invited friends over for a PAMA-tini. After two.....I had to go to bed! Goes down way to easy! Next time we're making the PAMA-Rita!

Dawn

I picked one up and invited friends over for a PAMA-tini. After two.....I had to go to bed! Goes down way to easy!Dawn

Reminds me of a favorite Dorothy Parker quote:

I love to have a martini,

Or two at the very most.

After three I'm under the table;

After four I'm under my host!

Cheers

Jeff

not stocked in WA state yet!

Just one of many reasons to head to KY!

I picked one up and invited friends over for a PAMA-tini. After two.....I had to go to bed! Goes down way to easy! Next time we're making the PAMA-Rita!

Dawn

Pama is so hot item right now :grin: As soon as it hits the shelves it sells out...

We've had to shut other lines down and move them to the Pama line to help meet the demand...

New jobs are being created for this Pama line :grin: That's good news, especially when one of the new hires is my brother in law, Chris :grin:

Bettye Jo

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up a mini of Pama today to try. I mixed one part Pama to two parts Plymouth Gin, shook with ice and strained into a martini glass. Wow. What a drink. Not bourbon mind you, but very nice. Now I wish I had bought a large bottle. I will have to wait until Monday to do so. I do hate the blue laws in TN.

I bought a bottle of PAMA from internet order from Hitimewine. Mixed a martini tonight with Chambray Blood Orange Vodka, PAMA, and Pryat XO. It was very good. Pryat balanced some of the PAMA tart with additional sweetness.

• 3 months later...

I picked up a bottle of this stuff the other day. delicious! Made a cosmo for my girlfriend, and a bourbon manhattan for myself. Ended up cutting the manhattan with a bit of water, too sweet. Very good, will buy again.

Pama is so hot item right now :grin: As soon as it hits the shelves it sells out...

We've had to shut other lines down and move them to the Pama line to help meet the demand...

New jobs are being created for this Pama line :grin: That's good news, especially when one of the new hires is my brother in law, Chris :grin:

Bettye Jo

Early in July we installed the "brand new" Pama line...called "H" line :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

I promised in another thread that I would post pictures :grin: :grin: :grin: ...

Well, Duhhhh :bigeyes: :skep: :grin:

Here they are...

1...The filler (fills the bottle with product) :grin:

2...The cleaner (right) and filler :grin: In this view, the line runs from right to left...:grin:

3...The line complete---not completely finished at that point but complete with all major parts :grin: :grin:

4...A view from the opposite side. :grin:

5...Pama in test puck...750 :grin: :grin: :grin: Soon :grin: it will be available in Ltr...and 375 :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

The line proved very successful on it's maiden run :grin: :grin: :grin: Did twice the production :grin: :grin: just working the kinks out :grin: :grin: :grin:

Not bad...Not bad at all :grin: :grin: :grin:

post-20-14489812502111_thumb.jpg

post-20-14489812502371_thumb.jpg

post-20-14489812502635_thumb.jpg

post-20-14489812502906_thumb.jpg

post-20-14489812503163_thumb.jpg

I've been making cocktails something along the lines of Wade.

I've made Manhattans cut with Charbay Blood Orange (itself cut with a bit of plain vodka because I find the orange taste intense). This adds a pleasant orange taste and with the regular bitters approximates to orange bitters. Also, it cuts the very whiskeyish taste of 20-30 straight whiskeys combined! That's a lot of whiskey taste and sometimes a dash of vodka or Canadian brings it all into focus as it were.

Sometimes I make the same but omit the vermouth and use a bit of sugar/maple syrup and add a dash of some anise drink (absinthe if I have it) to make a superb Sazerac. I am thinking of trying this with all-cognac for the spirit, or half cognac half whiskeys, or that plus a dash of Charbay blood orange.

Sometimes I add anise to a Manhattan because a number of circa 1900 recipes for the Manhattan did that. It is good, Doug tasted one of these at Jim's and said he liked it. (Thanks for that Anchor Bock, Doug, it was great, big cereal taste).

There are so many possibilities although usually I stay within the Manhattan, Sazerac or Old Fashioned parameters.

Gary

Sometimes I add anise to a Manhattan because a number of circa 1900 recipes for the Manhattan did that.

Very interesting - I've sometimes added a dash of Herbsaint or Pontarlier-Anis (just a few drops will do!) to my Manhattans, and it makes for an intriguing drink.

While I like pastis served the traditional way (drizzling ice-cold water into it, with some sugar), when it's used as an additive to a Manhattan or Sazerac, just a very little bit is best, or it'll dominate the drink. In this situation, it's as potent a flavoring agent as bitters.

I agree, very little is best because Pernod and most anise is so intense. I sometimes shake the absinthe bottle (lately I am using arrack), and just dipping the coated cork stopper in the Manhattan imparts enough anise flavour. Herbsaint or Absente are perfect for this touch but it needs to be faint.

Gary

Hmmmm. I have a bottle of ouzo in the cupboard and may introduce a little of that into my next manhattan.

That would be perfect but use very little, just a few eye-drops.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of nights ago, my girlfriend ordered a PAMA martini at a restaurant. It was mixed with PAMA, grey goose and a touch of sprite. She really like it, but to be honest I couldn't stand it. Now in it's defense I'm not a fruit fan nor am I a vodka fan so I'm not the best one to judge, but I didn't care for the PAMA.

A couple of nights ago, my girlfriend ordered a PAMA martini at a restaurant. It was mixed with PAMA, grey goose and a touch of sprite. She really like it, but to be honest I couldn't stand it. Now in it's defense I'm not a fruit fan nor am I a vodka fan so I'm not the best one to judge, but I didn't care for the PAMA.

Give it a shot without the Vodka and sprite. Its very good. By the way, It adds a nice touch to Manhattan's. I switch between this or Luxardo's Cherry liqueur when I coat the inside of my glass for my Manhattan's.

• 3 months later...

I just tried some last night in a Manhattan. I used Rittenhouse BIB and Noilly Prat red vermouth, the PAMA, and a couple of shakes of Fee's Old Fashioned Bitters.

The proportions were 6:2:1 - as it turned out, though, PAMA is a lot more intense than I anticipated. It was a good drink, but I think I'll go with just a teaspoon of PAMA next time - or else use the more robust Punt e Mes instead of standard red vermouth.

This holds lots of promise, once I figure out just how much to use... it seems more powerful than maraschino, but not quite as powerful as pastis.

I've also thought of using it combined with simple syrup as a grenadine replacement. I'd still need to figure out the proportions, though...

• 3 weeks later...

I was told that...on the "Oprah" show (yesterday) she brought out a bottle of our PAMA :grin: :grin: :grin: She told everyone that she loved this stuff and it was her "favorite" drink :grin: :grin: :grin:

Made me proud :grin: :grin:

Bettye Jo

I picked up a bottle of this stuff the other day. delicious! Made a cosmo for my girlfriend, and a bourbon manhattan for myself. Ended up cutting the manhattan with a bit of water, too sweet. Very good, will buy again.

It's great stuff - and a little bit goes a long way. A later Manhattan using just a teaspoon like I was considering came out just right.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.