Tasting Sierra Nevada beer

nor02lei
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Went to a beer sampling yesterday. One of my favourite brewers, Sierra Nevada. I was a bit disappointed that the Porter and India Pale Ale was missing. Never the less we sampled the wheat, pils, stout, pale ale, celebration ale and Big foot (barly wine). I don’t normally like wheat but this one was quit nice and the best of that sort I have tasted (3). Pils was not god at all a bad interpretation of Check stile pils (2). Pale ale was ok but not any real hit for me (3). Stout was really good (5). But the 2 last ones (5+5). Amassing stuff. And I normally don’t like barley wine at all. Some beer that Big foot. My point in the 1-5 system inside ( )

Here are the overall votes from the about 20 prohibitions:

Sierra Nevada Wheat Beer Ale Veteöl - Ale USA 2.8

431 Sierra Nevada Summerfest 2005 Lager Plisner USA 2.7

432 Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Ale Pale Ale USA 3.9

433 Sierra Nevada Stout Ale Stout - Dry USA 3.7

434 Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale 2005 Ale Special - Ale USA 3.8

435 Sierra Nevada Bigfooth Ale 2005 Ale Barley Wine USA 2.5

The tasting was at a little pub in Söderbärke 65 km from my home. And it is amassing that a small place of about 2000 inhibiters can have probably the pub with the best assortment of beer in the hole part of Sweden north of Stockholm. I did try some other beer as well in the pub amongst them another American ale from flying dog that was real bad. From the small Swedish microbrewery Närkes kulturbrggeri I tasted 1 barley wine that was real bad and a strong porter that was a real smash hit. Amazingly spicy and thick and actually it was better than SN stout and I would say in the same class as celebration and Big foot. I would probably put all these 3 among my top5 beers.

Leif

I agree- Bigfoot is my favorite of the Sierra Nevada beers, though the Pale Ale is a fantastic brew as well. If you like the Bigfoot, you might like Fuller's 1845, a cask-conditioned ale that Bigfoot reminds me of. It's English, so you may have already had it.

I have only had the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and I like it a lot. It is wonderful with food.

Tim

I agree- Bigfoot is my favorite of the Sierra Nevada beers, though the Pale Ale is a fantastic brew as well. If you like the Bigfoot, you might like Fuller's 1845, a cask-conditioned ale that Bigfoot reminds me of. It's English, so you may have already had it.

Yes I have tried many of the fuller beers. If I remember right 1845 was quit thick and a little on the sweet side. Think I like ESB best of the Fullers I have tried even though it’s a bit on the mean side.

Leif

That's sounds like 1845. I just think it's complexity and sweetness (while not extremely sweet) are similar to the Bigfoot. I haven't had their ESB in a long time. I liked it, but I bet I would appreciate it more now. I'll have to grab it if I see it.

I had a friend in town this weekend who is a big beer fan. I am one too, but have been reaching for the bourbon when I want a drink lately. It was nice to spend some time drinking a few cold ones, including Bigfoot, with him.

As Ratcheer said, SN Pale Ale may be the best beer to pair with food. Excellent stuff.

Cheers!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.